Advice on superglue/poly cement

Good Evening All

Hope you are all well.

I've returned to the hobby after a 20 years or so break.

Currently working on a Victory starter set to test how much I can remember and do some valuable practice. Before moving onto something a little bit more demanding

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the following

Is there any of the following -

water based

solvent free

low ouder

poly cement/superglue on the market that is airfix friendly as currently when I'm doing construction I would like to avoid the fumes from the poly cement I currently use.

I do have a window open and currently wear a vapour/fume filter mask

But I can say it's not the most comfortable when wearing for a period of time especially as the weather gets warmer

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jay

The only glue I can think of that comes near to your spec is PVA. It will not work as well as poly cement/precision poly because the poly glues weld the plastic of the kit together. The PVA joint will not be permanent. I often use PVA on canopies because it will not fog the clear plastic. I also use it as a temporary fix - to hold something in place while I paint, but want to remove later.

Thank you for your replies greatly appreciated.

I have seen a mini airbrush hood which may be good solution/aid as it has mechanical ventilation.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of what these are like?

Just remember when I last did airfix I never had a issue with the fumes from the poly cement or other glues

Thank you

Jay

I wouldn’t recommend ova in any form with polystyrene. Liquid polystyrene is least smelly especially if you keep putting top back on. A long time ago I used in a professional capacity another solvent for styrene but that was industrial use and had other health issues if used incorrectly so won’t even name it as you seem very against such materials.
Good luck trying modelling in polystyrene without some odours though.

I can guess - Alpha Bravo Sierra cement?

You don’t say if it is for health reasons or you just don’t like the smell of the glue.

Hi

Yes it's due to the glue fumes can give me headache.

I do understand where you are coming from regarding the hobby

When I was younger I never had an issue at all but as we get older things can change

I only paint in acrylic paint via hand painting as I find this very relaxing and rewarding. I may post a photo of my latest model

Thank you to you all for the replies it's greatly appreciated for your advice and time I will take a look at the Tamiya limonene glue

Kind Regards

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
Simple things like keeping the cap on will minimise the time you're exposed to the fumes. Also, try a needle applicator - Precision poly - if you haven't already.

Hi Ratch

I think I've found a solution with the use of a mask, would it be okay for me to post here what it is and a photo.

Is there anything i should be aware of before posting / maybe including a photo

Kind Regards

Jay

Hi

All please see a solution that has worked for me due to the fumes for the glue when building my airfix models

I have been using this for a few weeks now and haven't experienced any issues since using this

I have taped over the brand names as I was unsure if you can display them in photos on the forum unless a moderator can confirm as I can mentioned that in another reply

please note the mask is a larger mask (excluding the filters) as most are sold as medium size as standard

I know some may go that's a good idea or wow that a bit much but do hope it may help someone

but obviously please do your own research and decide on what works for you

the filters are not standard filters, the ones fitted are designed to filter out organic and in organic fumes/vapours to a certain level

forum_image_6291f6a8e4e6e.thumb.png.a11e54e3063f23b9e6b77997839ed0e1.png

forum_image_6291f6b48677c.thumb.png.313a958103353604e025bfa8eff8a072.png

forum_image_6291f6c03cd6e.thumb.png.2079206e554d78939cbcb80aef8d8990.png

Cheers Jay

Hi Jay
Good luck to you in your hobby. Your dedication commendable. I think it would put me off pastime. Right now I am having problems with my drive with hobby. I know I would be bored senseless if I didn’t have this past time and that is what keeps me going, that and having a stash that my stingyness keeps me going, hate to have wasted the money. This coming year the stash will be what I will be relying on, only buying glue etc when needed.
Anyway, good luck and hope you continue to enjoy yourself.
Rod

I found having a few hobbies over the years keeps me busy.

In late spring, summer and early autumn I usually like to go fishing and if the weather's bad as a typical British summer can be I drop back onto my airfix

Have you ever tried or seen flying tying for a hobby?

You can copy well know or unknown patterns or make your own and see what works

Cheers Jay

Thanks Jay, can you believe I have never fished in my life and wouldn’t know where to start. Working on my fitness recently. As for modelling just need some incentive for new ideas for the models in my stash. Not reading enough. That and a good kick up the rear to get me going. I can’t fly so aircraft models my only connection now.
Thanks for suggestions though.

Can always give it a whirl, visit your local tackle shop or watch a few videos online for beginners guides.

I recommend start with small fish (silvers) down the canal, stream or river or what evers local to you and see how you go from there its how I started a long time ago

First ever fish was roach on the canal or cut as they are called that in my local area. Favourite species is a perch or tench.

Believe me catching all day or catching absolutely nothing is so enjoyable just being outside watching the nature or the world go by

Just a tip remember to buy a fishing licence as if your caught without one it can result in a trip to court and/or a hefty fine

happy to give advice

Cheers Jay