Pledge Floor Polish

Never heard of this usage.

Some of us have been using floor wax since the year dot. I can remember the late Geoff Prentice writing about it in Scale Models magazine in the seventies and eventually got around to obtaining some myself. It's a very good way to achieve a gloss finish for decal prep, also it's sufficiently inert to resist most (but not all) solvents in other media. You can use it for decal setting by applying the decal whilst the wax is wet, once it sets it shrinks sufficiently to pull the decal down into every last nook and cranny. I still have some carefully hoarded old formula Klear, but they keep changing the formulation. The most recent stuff that I've come across which in some respects is superior to the original Klear is Pledge Revive It floor gloss, but even this is becoming scarce.

forum_image_6337659e99ef3.thumb.png.f629a5d6fe06f443c23a21704ca14e47.png

seen a lot of people talking about using this for some time but not tried it myself, do you brush this straight from the bottle what is the advice for using it for the first time.

i cant be the only person thinking how you use this, so i thought i would ask the question

paul

Update: The bottle I’ve used does NOT mix well with Humbrol Decalfix. I used a cotton bud to carefully remove excess decalfix and it stripped the paint! Think I might go back to Tamiya X-22 for my clear coats, unless Pledge Revive and Humbrol Decalfix can play nice together? Any experience of this combo @peebeep ?

Think I might go back to Tamiya X-22 for my clear coats, unless Pledge Revive and Humbrol Decalfix can play nice together? Any experience of this combo @peebeep ?

It's my understanding that Klear type wax/varnishes contain ammonia. If you have a whiff of Decalfix it seems to be absolutely loaded with ammonia. I suspect the Revive It reactivated the Decalfix leading to the paint being stripped. I've not had any issues with Revive It stripping paint on its own, but I have had issues using Decalfix, undiluted it will easily remove aqueous acrylic paints. I've given up using Decalfix, but if I were forced to use it, then I'd dilute with at least 3-4 parts water to 1 part Decalfix. I've got no problem with using Revive It, either for gloss coating or as a decal setting solution by laying decals straight on to wet Revive It.

X-22 is excellent for gloss coats, but I think the chemistry is quite different to Klear type products.

seen a lot of people talking about using this for some time but not tried it myself, do you brush this straight from the bottle what is the advice for using it for the first time.

Brush or airbrush straight from the bottle. If brushing you get best results using a wide, flat brush.

Update: The bottle I’ve used does NOT mix well with Humbrol Decalfix. I used a cotton bud to carefully remove excess decalfix and it stripped the paint! Think I might go back to Tamiya X-22 for my clear coats, unless Pledge Revive and Humbrol Decalfix can play nice together? Any experience of this combo @peebeep ?

DecalFix is particularly aggressive with Tamiya paints.

• 1 month later...