Regauged wheels and now everything 'jumps' on point frogs

ausrym

Hi all

All my rolling stock are Hornby models produced between 2015-2021. My points are all new Hornby standard left & right hand points (with a set of express points). All track is straight and level.

I recently purchased a DCC Concepts back-to-back gauge (DCG-BB145) and re-gauged all my wagon & coach wheels (haven't touched my steam loco's wheels as I'm scared it will stuff up the pickups or con rods).

The gauge showed all my rolling stock consistently undersized which the gauge has fixed. Now every single piece of stock 'jumps' on the point frogs as the flanges seem to hit the point of the triangle.

I now have to go and make everything slightly narrower than the gauge which then fixes this problem. Unfortunately this is a manual process and I can't get the sets of wheels for each piece of rolling stock perfectly the same.

Has anyone else experienced this? I saw in a Sam’s Train's video he did the same exercise and at the end of the video mentioned the same problem.

Have I done something wrong here for things to end up like this?

Thanks in advance

The gauge I have from DCC Concepts is the brass tool for OO/HO. One of my wagons initially had the problem and people said to check its gauging.

I did that, but stupidly checked my other Hornby rolling stock (modern stock) and they were all consistently under gauge so I 'fixed' them all in one fell swoop without checking as I went along.

Sounds like its time to actually check the trackwork, and the gauging between the rails.

Track can flex if not flat, and presumably quite easily during less-than-careful handling - not necessarily you, but perhaps during manufacture, shipping, etc.

Don't forget to take into account the depth and thickness of the wheel flanges.

Al.

Hornby wheelsets are normally insulated at both wheels resulting in a small plastic collar standing proud of the inner face of each wheel. Not having one of these gauges, I do not know how much wider the cut-out is than the diameter of the axles, but if it is a relatively tight fit and if you have pushed the gauge right down to the axle such that it sits between these collars, I imagine the inside faces of the wheels could be approximately 14.6mm apart. Those who have the gauge can comment on whether this is possible.

I'm normally getting 14.4mm with the gauge +/-.

It can just move some of the bushed wheelsets slightly on occasion - they're generally very good I've found.

Problems I generally encounter are locomotives, with front bogies the main culprits where presumably they've been lifted / handled a little to heavily, pushing the wheels together.

Al.

Those who have the gauge can comment on whether this is possible.

Absolutely. I had completely forgotten about my need to modify my gauge untill I read your reply which jogged my memory. I had to use a suitably sized drill bit to create (mill) a slight recess in the gauge slot on both gauge faces to allow the protruding insulating bush to sit within the newly created widened gauge slot recess. This then allowed the gauge to lie flush with the inside faces of the wheels.

I think Going spare could be right. I have one of these gauges along with some others and the recess/slot is not really wide enough for the Hornby insulating bush.

I get round it by pushing the gauge in so the jaws of the axel slot just touch the edge of the bush, but no further. I then repeat on the opposite side of the axel to make sure the wheel is gauged evenly

I have one of these gauges and have used it quite a bit with no problems. I must admit I've never thought of the insulating bushes but they don't seem to have affected things in any way. If they do several sizes then maybe DC is right in thinking they may have sent the wrong one. Measurement with a calliper will soon determine if that is the case.

Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies. I do the same as BM and atom3624 in terms of my regauging technique but all wagons are still jumping.

Unfortunately I don't have digital callipers to measure the DCC gauge but needless to say I won't be buying their products again.

My issue is now having to manually make everything slightly smaller than the gauge by twisting the wheels along the axles with my finger but this isn't perfectly consistent. I might try file down the gauge to get it narrower as this seems the only option to stop my rolling stock from jumping.

Anyone else got any better ideas?

If making slightly closer is permitting everything to 'work' correctly, it sounds like the way to go.

It may have to be a consideration to 're-gauge' everything after perhaps skimming a slither off the gauge - just a thought.

I've often considered this myself TBH.

Al.

It really would be worthwhile buying a calliper. They aren't expensive and, since I don't hear of anyone else having this issue, it would settle the possibility of having been sent the wrong gauge. Callipers are very handy in all sorts of situations.