2024 Wish List

Ratch

A few subjects that would make an ideal fit for Airfix, (and yes, stuck record that I am, some were on a similar thread to wish-list for 2023).

1; Avro Lincoln; the only RAF four engined bomber in regular service, (qualified since the epic Vickers Windsor also flew but was never put into production) not on sale by anyone and since another manufacturer has issues the Academy B29 as the RAF Washington, the two together would look superb.

2; 1/350 HMS Vanguard. The last British battleship, and one of the most handsome ships ever to sail for any navy, no one has made a detailed kit of the Vanguard, and frankly it is begging for someone to do so.

3; 1/350 HMS Hermes. The Falklands warrior, if properly developed, could be issued and reissued as various stages in it's long career, all the way back to original condition, through alterations, all the way to the way it looked when retired from Indian service. Think of the possibilities with...

4; 1/350 HMS Invincible class carriers. Yes, we had the Lusty as she appeared at the end of her service, but how about the Invincible, Ark Royal and yes, Illustrious as she was when built? Again, a base kit could serve as the starting block for all three ships, and that is essentially three kits, plus variations, for the development of one plus additional parts.

5; HMS Nelson/Rodney. Though another manufacturer has been promising these ships since as early as 2019, for whatever reason they haven't appeared. As the only WW2 RN battleships, (Royal Sovereign class aside, but wouldn't they be nice too?) not on offer by any manufacturer, this, as with all these kits, fills a gap in the market.

6; Any scale HMS Queen Elizabeth/HMS Prince of Wales carriers. Someone will do it, why not Airfix?

7; 1/35 Alvis Stalwart. Following on from the old toy Stalwart from decades ago, the Stally was an incredible truck that was available in many variations, again, several kits from one+ parts development cost.

8; Handley Page HP 42. The 1/144 kits is nice but it is far from what Aifix could do today, and with such a beautiful aircraft to work from, one of the largest bi-planes ever developed, and a true air-liner from the early days of air travel it would be a superb companion piece for a ...

9; 1/72 Short S23 C/Empire class flying boat. The diorama possibilities are almost endless, plus, on a stand or suspended, it would look incredible. If any aircraft was art deco, it was the Short Empire FB.

10; 1/24 Bristol F.2B, Hawker Fury Bi-plane and Bristol Bulldog. Cheating slightly, (I wanted this to be a top ten) I would love to see what Airfix, whose latest new 1/24 kits have been beyond incredible, could do for these WW1 and between war RAF bi-planes. Yes, they look good in 1/48, but huge scale bi-planes would let any modeller with a bit of experience produce an aircraft where the wire could be either metal or standard cotton thread and not look too thick.

Included, as I've said, are subjects that either haven't been made as kits before in these scales or not for a long time. Given how obscure subjects have been made into kits by Airfix, I never imagined a Fairey Gannet in 1/48, an Avro Anson in the same scale, let alone the really nice Ferret scout car,(hopefully we'll get the Fox and others down the line) none of them are so niche as to prohibit sales.

After all, don't we all look for different subjects after half a dozen Lancasters, all the marques of Spitfire and who knows how many Tiger or Sherman tanks?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wish list is never ending but as a starter and in no particular order:

1/72 Westland Wasp and Scout

1/72 Westland Whirlwind (fixed wing)

1/72 Skyraider (new tool)

1/72 BN Islander / Defender

1/72 Sea Fury (new tool)

1/72 AW Sea Hawk (new tool)

1/72 Supermarine Scimitar

1/48 Sea Venon

1/24 Sea Fury

1/24 ME 262

1/24 F80 Shooting Star

One can but dream

1/72 BN Islander / Defender
1/72 Sea Fury (new tool)
1/72 AW Sea Hawk (new tool)
1/72 Supermarine Scimitar
One can but dream

There are some good 1/72 scale subjects there. I don't think any mainstream manufacturer has made a modern detailed kit of the Skyraider. Its a bit surprising when you consider what an important and widely used aircraft it was for many years.

A 1/72 Sea Venom would be perfect. At this time, there is essentially nothing in 1/72. The Frog and its Soviet/occupied Donbass repops aren't worth discussing. I've heard good things about the Cyber Hobby Sea Venom FAW.21 (FAW.53). I am also firmly convinced that the only people stocking it are at the end of a rainbow on the main road to Shangri-La and are reachable only on the weekly Concorde service.

There are some good 1/72 scale subjects there. I don't think any mainstream manufacturer has made a modern detailed kit of the Skyraider. Its a bit surprising when you consider what an important and widely used aircraft it was for many years.

Hobby 2000 are doing the Skyraider using Hasegawa tooling.

My wishlist ise-mail

1/72 scale.

DH Venom (All Marks)
DH Vampire NF.10
Gloster Meteor PR.10
Supermarine Spitfire FR.XVIII.
Avro Lincoln.
Vickers Varsity.
Westland Wessex HC.2 Helicopter.
Avro Shackleton MR.I conversion.

I would buy all of those. Add an Avro Manchester and York as well so we can do the Lancaster line all the way through

• 4 weeks later...

1/35 Ferret 1/1

1/35 Ferret detail kit

1/35 Ferret commander Tropical

1/35 Ferret Driver Tropical

1/35 Ferret Driver NW Europe

1/35 Ferret Commander NW Europe

1/35 Multi Pose British Infantry 1970's

1/35 Multi Pose British Infantry 1980's

1/35 Multi pose British infantry tropical 1960's

1/35 Land Rover Light weight 1/2 tonne

1/35 Land Rover 3/4 Tonne GS

1/35 Land Rover 3/4 Tonne FFR

1/35 Land Rover conversion set Light weight VPK Armour Northern Ireland

1/35 Land Rover Conversion set Light weight hard top

1/35 Land Rover 3/4 Tonne conversion set VPK Armour Northern Ireland

1/35 Land Rover 3/4 Tonne Conversion set Hard top

1/35 trailer 3/4 Tonne Sankey wide track

1/35 Bedford MJ/MK GS 4 tonne truck

1/35 105mm L118 Light Gun

1/35 105mm M56 Pack Howitizer

1/35 Westland Scout AH1

1/35 Westland Lynx AH1/AH7

1/35 Aerospatiale Gazelle AH1

1/35 Aerospatiale Puma HC1

1/72 P-38J Droop Snoot

1/72 Sentinel 4x4 (V-bomber tractor)

1/72 Gloster Grebe III DC

1/72 Avro 504N

1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt Razorback

1/35 Vickers-Armstrong Light/Medium Dragon

1/72 Bristol Beaufighter VIf 

1/600 Tirpitz

1/600 Queen Elizabeth/PoW aircraft carrier

1/72 Dornier Do 217E-4

1/72 Armstrong Whitworth Whitley V Glider Tug

1/72 Fairey Battle I

1/72 Avro Anson T.1

1/72 Junkers Ju 88A-5/A-6/R-1

1/48 Airspeed Oxford

1/72 Handley Page Hampden I

1/72 Miles Martinet target tug

1/72 Consolidated B-24D Liberator

1/72 Modified Consolidated B-24H Liberator 42-51211 Y “Miss Fitts”

I know that the Northamptonshire Yeomanry trained with Dragons in the UK (though not exactly when). They didn't get to France until 1944.

The inter war years saw the UK Armed Forces involved in some significant campaigns that now seem to be largely forgotten. It would be good to see some new kits from this period, either aircraft, vehicles or 1/600 ships.