2024 Wish List

Ratch

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copy and paste from last year! This is sort of like the movie Ground Hog Day, but on an annual basis!

I have only one...

1/72nd scale HP Hampden 

not in 1/48th or 1/24th or 1/144th....just 1/72nd!

This request was broadly supported in this forum in the last 12 months but seams to have slipped through the cracks again.

Here's hoping.

Tim

I’ve had a good year. In fact I just bought another 1/72 Hamden. I’ll build it as soon as I can.

this last year I got the Mitsubishi KI21 Sally bomber that’s been on my list for more than two decades. I believe that Rod is correct and that we will soon see a new 1/72 Fairey battle from a Czech manufacturer.

I have several new 1/72 SBD Dauntless bombers both SBD2 and SBD 3 .I assume at some point they will issue the A23 banshee.

Granted, these are not Airfix products but that does highlight the competitive nature of model making. It is true however that I certainly would buy an Airfix Hamden. I am not, however, willing to fund its development.

I have several 1/72 Sterling bombers, some of them are old Airfix kits, it would be nice too see this kit reworked.

There is a trend now that manufacturers are providing canopy masks , maybe this is destined to be included in Airfix kits?

I have 3000 kits in my stash, let’s see how many I can build in 2023!

Randall

Hey Mr Airfix. What about us bigger modellers? Some of us like to model in 1/24, it blends in with other hobbies such as garden railways. We regularly use kits from other manufacturers such as Heller, Revell, Italliarie and Tamiya. What about Airfix?

I would love to see the new 1/48 Mark 1 Land rover , 1/35 K2 ambulance and the new British Army 30-cwt 4x2 truck in 1/24scale and for a bit of fun even the bond bug,

how about it?

thanks Paul

1. Consolidated B-24H Liberator with Ford nose. There is no B-24 kit in any scale with the Ford nose available. Moreover, the old Airfix kit is a dated toy - not for a serious modeller.
  2. Vought F4U Corsair with folding wings. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the only wing fold option, Heller, is nasty to work with.
  3. Junkers Ju 88 A-4. The only still missing major Battle of Britain participant on either side of the conflict. Can we also have conversion parts for a nightfighter?
  4. Lockheed P-38F Lightning. The Airfix P-38J is horribly dated and inaccurate, and the P-38F kit has some serious issues. Moreover, there are no quality kits of the early P-38 models available.
  5. Bell P-39 Airacobra. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the Academy kit is horribly inaccurate.
  6. Republic P-47D Thunderbolt. Preferably with both Razorback and Bubbletop options - just like the old Jo-Han kit!
  7. Westland Lysander. No kits available in 1/72 scale. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated.
  8. Handley Page Hampden. Old Airfix kit is sadly dated, and the AZ models kit is unavailable.
  9. Fairey Albacore. No kits available in 1/72 scale. A logical companion for Swordfish.
  10. Douglas SBD Dauntless. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated. With perforated flaps, please!

Bubbling under:

• Conversion parts for Lancaster into Grand Slam bomber and/or Avro Manchester
  • Conversion parts for 1/72 Hawker Typhoon for "car door" variant
  • Conversion parts for 1/72 Hawker Hurricane for Sea Hurricane and metal wing Mk.I

Well, given that not everybody will be pleased at a lack (?) of new or re-releases in their own particular area of interest, one cannot fault Airfix for at least trying. With cars and starter kits, they are trying to hook the younger market, and that's to their credit.

Now... If I had to ask for something from land, sea and air...

On land, I can only repeat my earlier 'big ask' of the re-release of the 1/76 Centurion, Chieftain, and to these, HO/OO versions of the 1970s British and German infantry. At a stretch, FV-430 and CVR(T) kits with accessories to make variants thereof. (One can but try!)

As a maritime subject, might Airfix take the 1/700 plunge and produce a Type 26 frigate in this scale? Full-hull, or with a waterline option, and a decal sheet for all eight of the class.

In the air, it would be nice to see the 1/72 Cessna O-2 again (hopefully the moulds are still serviceable - not seen since 1989) and an F-105 variant, perhaps.

As a wish - and a change from the usual modern grey jets - how about the EAP technology demonstrator, ZF534 herself, now exhibited at Cosford? It's only - to my knowledge - ever been released as a rather difficult garage kit, and if one were to think how one would look alongside either a 1/72 (or even 1/48) Typhoon...?

I am starting to think that kit makers need to include masking aids for the glazing and for the camo painting. I would think they already have all the dimensions to make either templates or actual stick-on masks.

Many of the recent Czech kits I have been buying include masks or mask templates.

At the very least, a full-sized print of the camo would work for me. I can certainly cut my own masks if I have a drawing.

Randall

New tools

1/72 Avro Lincoln,

1/72 Avro Manchester,

1/72 H.P. Hampden,

RAF V-Force ground crew figures

1/24 Defiant.

Vintage Classic re-releases

1/72 B-29 Superfortress

1/72 Dauntless

1/72 Helldiver

1/72 Russian Pe.2

1/144 Boeing 747 (BOAC?)

1/144 Lockheed Tristar

1/600 HMS Iron Duke

1/600 Scharnhorst

• 2 weeks later...

1. Consolidated B-24H Liberator with Ford nose. There is no B-24 kit in any scale with the Ford nose available. Moreover, the old Airfix kit is a dated toy - not for a serious modeller.
  2. Vought F4U Corsair with folding wings. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the only wing fold option, Heller, is nasty to work with.
  3. Junkers Ju 88 A-4. The only still missing major Battle of Britain participant on either side of the conflict. Can we also have conversion parts for a nightfighter?
  4. Lockheed P-38F Lightning. The Airfix P-38J is horribly dated and inaccurate, and the P-38F kit has some serious issues. Moreover, there are no quality kits of the early P-38 models available.
  5. Bell P-39 Airacobra. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the Academy kit is horribly inaccurate.
  6. Republic P-47D Thunderbolt. Preferably with both Razorback and Bubbletop options - just like the old Jo-Han kit!
  7. Westland Lysander. No kits available in 1/72 scale. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated.
  8. Handley Page Hampden. Old Airfix kit is sadly dated, and the AZ models kit is unavailable.
  9. Fairey Albacore. No kits available in 1/72 scale. A logical companion for Swordfish.
  10. Douglas SBD Dauntless. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated. With perforated flaps, please!

Bubbling under:

• Conversion parts for Lancaster into Grand Slam bomber and/or Avro Manchester
  • Conversion parts for 1/72 Hawker Typhoon for "car door" variant
  • Conversion parts for 1/72 Hawker Hurricane for Sea Hurricane and metal wing Mk.I

Some good ideas.

1. Yes, a new Liberator at a sensible price would be good. The old kit has still some life in it and can be made into a nice model.
  2. This would be a fine partner for the lovely Airfix Wildcat.
  3. I had to buy the Revell one to finish my B of B Collection.
  4. Just a bit dated, but still useable with a few bits of scratchbuilding. Plenty of others available.
  5. I agree. A new version would be nice.
  6. I think that this would need two tools, rather than a single. Plenty of good ones oyt there, already.
  7. Again, a little TLC will make this into a nice model.
  8. There are other recent releases, but I would like to see a new Airfix kit. The old one needs TLC, but is still a good option.
  9. I have a newish Albacore in the stash. It's injection moulded. Octopus? I think.
  10. Another nice companion to the Wildcat. Some super schemes. I'd buy a few.

There is already an Airfix Grand Slam available

The Manchester is way overdue. Both versions could be included.

Bren Gun do the car door version.

I have suggested the metal wing for the super new Hurricane, and the fabric wing for the 1/48th kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

What happened to the awesome German Mountain Troops in 1/76? . It has been quite a while...

I wiil also be happy seeing back:

• the old Matilda tank 1/76
  • Crusader tank 1/76
  • Leopard 1 tank 1/76
  • Sheridan tank 1/76

Still waiting for : Ships 1/600:

- HMS Daring

- HMS Manxman

- HMS Suffolk

- HMS Tiger

- Narvik class destroyer

- Moskva

And of corse the liners: Queen Mary 2, RMS Mauretania, RMS QUeen Elizabeth , RMS Queen Elizabeth II, SS France, SS Canberra, SS Norway

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm into 1/48. Been enjoying the 1950s/1960s aircraft releases.

So, how about

a) Supermarine Scimitar

b) Buccaneer S.1

c) FG.1 Phantom

d) Mig-21

e) F-8 Crusader

I'd also like a B.1 version of the Vulcan. That straight leading edge is something else. I always thought that they'd designed the 1980s kit with that in mind. Swapping out the outer wing panels and tail to remove to bulge would get you very close.

Oh and a Tu-95, visually striking aircraft.

Oh! And a CF-105 Arrow to complement the TSR-2 in 1/48th.

Hi Mark

Now that is truly a wish, isn’t it.

I will buy a few if Airfix does make it but I am not holding my breath on this one.

If you can acquire a Hobby Craft 1/48th kit and the Iroquois Products detail parts, I think that a reasonable model can be cobbled together.

But none the less, a commendable “wish”.

Cheers,

Tim

At risk of repeating the 'wish list' that I've posted a few times before for previous years,

• 1/72 Fairey Battle - a new mould without the previous problems, inaccuracies and raised panel lines
  • 1/72 Handley Page Hampden - a new mould without the previous problems, especially in terms of the transparencies
  • and in the light of my recent WW1 project, a 1/72 Sopwith Triplane!

• 1 month later...

Well maybe we need a new 1/72nd Avro CF-105 Arrow 1 and 2. While we are at it why not a 1/48th scale kit as well. After all, it is a "wish list".

Seems the existing and long out of production "new tool" HobbyCraft Kit HC1393 in 1/72 is short in fuselage length and wing span...not to mention the elevators and ailerons being too big and a general mess on panel line placement.

Sad because some dimensions and details are spot on. Oh well, it can be fixed with some serious work.

forum_image_643eaec0d93b9.thumb.png.ca49b5bd877f642153281739efccc68a.png