HM DCC App release date

South Coast Flyer

It is still on beta testing and expected to go to user acceptance testing in Feb, so I guess when its ready they will release it.

No point letting it out if it isn’t spot on or folk will only moan about it same as they do the locos, etc.

• 1 month later...

I'm finding this really quite frustrating as I have just purchased the R7337 15V~4 Amp Transformer (UK) + 15V Power Supply Adapter Bundle, R7345 HM7000-N18TXS: Bluetooth® & DCC Sound Decoder (Next18-pin) for the TT3009M BR Class A4 Class 4-6-2 60025 'Falcon' - and I am unable to test or run it. I really don't want to purchase any other controller. Rant over..

On a positive note, the A4 Falcon is stunning and I am so looking forward to having it running!

No disrespect to anyone who feels frustrated, but Hornby would have been criticised the other way too. People who had pre-ordered would be just as frustrated, if the app was available but no sign of their decoders.

Don’t forget that storing items in warehouses costs money, and Hornby stated back in January that the decoders etc. were already ready to go, so there may well have been a financial consideration.

However obviously only those who make the decisions are aware of all the reasons, and they rarely broadcast everything.

I didn’t even think of those that don’t already have a dcc controller. Another argument for Hornby releasing the app before the hardware!

This is the issue I mentioned before. The problem is that Hornby are (quite rightly as I suspect it may be a game changer) marketing this as a way to introduce DCC to layouts , especially those that have been DC only previously.

It was therefore imperative they release both the app and chips at the same time otherwise people would end up a little frustrated (yet again)

In Hornbys defence I suspect a lot of chips have been ordered and if they held them back until app release day then they would have faced distribution issues. This way they have been able to make sure everyone has a chip ready to go when the app is ready.

Sorry, I didn’t make it clear in my post that I’m starting from scratch, so it’s about getting the right equipment from day 1… I guess this is the issue for early adopters! I also guess the frustration is this is quite fundamental to a significant cohort of customers ie those with no other railway stuff to tide them over. We know there isn’t any signalling etc and the range is limited for now, which is okay btw!

MB, given the app has been through extensive user testing over a period of time and is now working, I don’t believe there will be limitations to live with first up, not to say there won’t be firmware updates, enhancements and more sound files down the track.

What Hornby hadn’t anticipated in deciding to ship the decoders was an initial rejection by Apple and now some days without it appearing in the App Store even though Apple have it.

From what I read Google are the same. I assume that they have to approve them to run on their respective platforms. I have a gripe that I spent over an hour trying to get the software that the QR Code links to, to run, which I gather was the wrong app. Do other companies release products, where the app has yet to be approved?

Now one response I got was "well it is a DCC decoder so you can use it as such", unfortunately so is a LaisDCC one which costs a fraction of the price. I have waited 3 years for some of my locos to arrive so I suppose this is the same.