Hornby P9300

Andy-344679

I recently purchased the HM6000 and when looking at the suggested power supply, the website recommends the P9100 or "for extra power" the P9300.

I opted for the P9300. It came in a box labelled P9300, however on the unit itself is says AC P9300W.

My locos run noticbly slower using the HM6000 powered by the P9300W than on my original transformer and controller from the 90s, the 15v 800ma DC one.

Also the directional lights on my locos are now dull.

Is there a difference between the P9300 and the P9300W? I was expecting it to be a DC output, not AC. I'm hoping that's the issue or the HM6000 will have to go.

Anyone have any knowledge about these transformers? Thanks.

It uses the international symbols.

forum_image_63f622f9ba522.png.2c715b3b3e0ad09c89144816a641c365.png

A wavy line is AC and a solid line above a dotted line is DC. The former represents a mains sine wave and the latter positive and negative.

I have approved every duplicate post you made, as you obviously did not see the green dialogue that appears at the top and the bottom of the screen when a post is sent for approval of an image. You may wish to delete them. We await a more prominent pop up dialogue that is fool-proof by preventing any further action until an accept button is clicked. Duplicate posts waste more moderator time than any other activity.

It uses the international symbols.
forum_image_63f622f9ba522.png.694ae1cca6143c3610a033f7560d6c92.png
A wavy line is AC and a solid line above a dotted line is DC. The former represents a mains sine wave and the latter positive and negative.
I have approved every duplicate post you made, as you obviously did not see the green dialogue that appears at the top and the bottom of the screen when a post is sent for approval of an image. You may wish to delete them. We await a more prominent pop up dialogue that is fool-proof by preventing any further action until an accept button is clicked. Duplicate posts waste more moderator time than any other activity.

Thanks, that clears it up that is DC at least? Any ideas why the locos are all running at about half speed max? I've gone into the speed settings on the app, the max speed was already at 100 so no adjustments needed there.

Apologies for the duplicate posts, you're right, my phone screen wasn't long enough to see the green notifications.

There should not be any difference in performance between P9300 and P9300W. Traditionally, the W suffix has been used by Hornby simply to signify a component that was included as part of a set (other than some items of rolling stock for which W indicated a weathered finish) but in recent times the W has been retained on items also sold separately.

....... my original transformer and controller from the 90s, the 15v 800ma DC one.

I would be really interested to see a posted image of the label for this power supply. I would have thought that Hornby power supplies in the 90's were 19 volts DC not 15 volts. If yours is indeed 19 volts, then that could account for the higher speeds.

Another relevant factor could be the output to track of your 90’s controller vs HM6000. (I believe the output of the HM6000 is limited to 12V?) whereas if your 90’s controller is just a basic variable resistor sitting between PSU & track it might be outputting 15V or more?