Railmaster Slave PC networking with Railmaster Master PC

Hi everyone.

So, I have a Loft Configuration using Railmaster Pro and eLink. After a bit of tweaking of INI rules etc., I have Railmaster running my locos as well as 22 points using 4amp power supply.

I was hoping my next project would be to network my downstairs PC with my Loft PC.

I have fully activated the Railmaster program on the downstairs PC and notice there is a networking facility in the Settings.

I've input my loft PC ip address into my downstairs (slave) PC as instructed and was hoping to run my locos in the loft from my downstairs PC when testing, programming, cold days etc.

I have set up my TTS Mallard on both master and slave PC's word for word and it seems to make the Mallard run in the loft whilst I'm on my downstairs PC.

There is only one problem. Pushing F1 on my loft (master) PC turns on the TTS sound. Pushing F1 on my downstairs PC makes the trains whistle blow (F2 on my master PC) so the F keys configuration in my slave PC seems to be one step out from F keys on my master PC, although both PC locos have been identically set up in their master and slave PC's.

My workaround is that I set up Mallard F keys in Master PC using F1 to F16 and my Slave PC using F0 to F15.

So when I press F0 (sound on) in slave PC, it makes my Master PC think I've pressed F1 downstairs and hey presto, my Mallard sound activates whilst I'm looking at my layout through a camera whilst sitting at my downstairs PC.

Is there anyway I can get the F keys in both the master and slave PC's to sync with each other or am I using the networking functionality incorrectly?

I look forward to your feedback.

P.S. the only thing I haven't done yet is set both my PC's with static IP addresses instead of dynamic addresses. Not sure that should give me the issue of the F keys being 1 step out of sync between PC's.

Outwith my skill-set but I think this is a question for HRMS direct via the help facility in RM, unless any forum member has tripped over it before.

It is assumed you have read the Networking section of AC’s excellent RM Help Site https://octaviancs.com/railmaster/rm.php and found nothing there to guide you. Static and dynamic IP addresses are discussed there.

Thank you 96RAF for getting back to me so quickly. I have indeed read this excellent piece of work and that gave me the idea to set it up.

I think I will set up static IP's on both PC's and use a different loco and wait to see if anyone answers before I contact HRMS. I have a feeling it maybe a bug but want to ensure I've tried everything first.

This also begs another question brought up in this great piece of work. I need to make the SLAVE PC railmaster program basically a duplicate of my MASTER PC railmaster program. I was wondering if I could quicken that process by using the backup process in PRO on my master and pushing those files into my SLAVE PC railmaster files to make it look the same or would this break my SLAVE PC railmaster program?

Hi Brian

I have a similar system the one you describe, except I use Elite, not elink. I had hoped to be able to try out operating sounds from my Slave RM copy in order to test what happens' but at the moment I cannot get the Slave to recognise the Master. I have used this many times previously but I think that was before I changed to a different layout PC and I do not recall having any issues with changing F numbers. I did however manually copy all my data files from the Master copy to the Slave copy, including my track layout.

I am trying to get this working and I have asked RailMaster Support for assistance.

I can confirm though that I previously found it to be essential that my layout version of RM (the Master copy) has a static fixed ip.

Brian, David

Static IP addresses should be used when networking at all times to save future identification issues arising.

Dynamic IP's are issued by your router or, more importantly, a server if you have one, and can be dependent on the order you switch on networked items with dynamic addressing. Each piece of hardware will not always receive the same IP as previously.

Further, to properly network PC's etc it is recommended to use a Windows Pro version to add full functionality rather than using a Home version. Having said that it is possible to use the Home version but issues can arise depending upon your setup. I refer to not just a model rail system but general home networking too.

When setting up static addressing it is always best to use a server if you have one, of which the majority of you will not, I do however, or use your router to allocate them to your network card's MAC address.

This way the same IP can be allocated to the same piece of hardware no matter what order they are powered up.

You can even have some hardware allocated with static IP's and others with dynamic. A static IP will never be allocated to a second piece of hardware whether or not the hardware with a static address is on or off.

If communication between both PC's is not working head into the Control Panel, Programs and Features and then add Windows features. Select the SMB option for installation and follow the on screen instructions. Your PC will request a restart when done. Make sure you do this.

@Brian

I am intrigued by your situation where F0 and F1 are stepped on your setup.

Some normal networking has this anomoly but is essential to work.

Drop me an email from within the Help Site and I will look at that. This will save a protracted conversation on here but any result can be added to this thread when that times arrives.

Set up static addressing first though as this is essential. Then test your setup when done.

Hi everyone.

Thank you all for your speedy replies.

I'm with YouFibre that utilises Amazon Eeros wired/wireless mesh system.

It's app based on my ipad rather than the web based access routers I'm used to.

It looks like I have a choice of dynamic or static IP's, not a mixture, so I've picked static moving forward as I have a lot of internet based hardware in the house apart from my rail setup. I've just seen articles about setting up servers on my computer whilst trying to find a reason for why YouFibre won't allow registration/deregistration. (thats ongoing and I'm getting off the point).

I've added the SMB option and just about to reboot.

I'll test everything I've done so far and feedback tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Hi everyone.

I have the master to slave pc networking application working but the F key out of sync between Master and Slave PC issue remains.

I run Windows 11 Home on both PC's

I've given Static IP addressees to both PC'

I run RM Pro on master PC and run RM on Slave PC

I have copied relevant RM files from Master PC into Slave PC so they look identical (after I first started getting F key issue)

I have tested using 2 x Hornby TTS locos, Mallard and Merchant Navy class.

Both have the F key anomaly.

My workaround that works for locos with no lighting systems is:

Program Loco sounds in Master PC as normal (F1 to Fxx)

Program Loco sounds in Slave PC as (F0 to Fxx-1)

So example of Mallard is F1-F16 (master) F0-F15 (slave)

When you say, drop me an email at the help site, do you mean through the RM program help portal itself?

Thanks

When you say, drop me an email at the help site, do you mean through the RM program help portal itself?

No, AC means go to his own personal RM Help website (clickable link in a sticky at the top of the RM forum) and use his 'Contact' link on his website. AC is a forum member & moderator and not part of HRMS (Hornby RM support).

Hi. Thought I would give you all a bit of an update.

Both my PC’s have now been set up with Static IP’s.

I’ve been using three locos in the two systems for the sake of testing.

1) Hornby Railroad Mallard TTS

2) Hornby Merchant Navy Holland-Afrika TTS

3) Bachmann Class 47/4 with loksound v4

none of these will play anythingafter the first 6 F keys using the Slave PC. All working fully on Master PC.

the TTS locos are also out of sync as described.

the loksound loco is in sync.

Augustus Caesar is looking at any PC set up/networking issues on my system..

I’ve now submitted support request to Railmaster and I am currently waiting a reply.

thanks

Brian

Hi Fishmanoz.

yes, I submitted through Railmaster program itself and have the acknowledgement you mention.

Request describes my setup and that both programs have been setup as per Railmaster instructions. That I use eLink and all the testing with all three locos. I was ultimately wanting to network via my iPad, but as there is a fee involved, I need to know this works first.

I’d still like feedback from anyone else who has similar set up in case I have missed something.

many thanks

Brian

Just FYI.

Many others on this forum have recommended using 'PC Anywhere'. This does not require a second installation of RM on the slave PC. Basically 'PC Anywhere' clones the screen & keyboard/mouse of the master PC running RM. Thus the slave PC is remotely taking control of the master PC to operate the master version of RM. No additional RM license therefore needed. Since the slave is a clone of the master, there shouldn't be any loss of synchronisation between Function commands that you are experiencing.

Hi AC. Working through your helpful networking advice. I will feedback to you and the forum soon.

P-Henry, I have previously utilised a program that let my Slave PC take control of my Master PC. However, there was some lag. As I want to use my iPad as well as Slave pc, I need this to work first but thank you for your suggestion. I’ll keep it as a backup.

thanks

Brian

Hi,

I have a bit of an update regarding PC's networking within Railmaster.

Firstly, I've been able to tidy up my private home network thanks to the incredible support I've received "off forum" by Augustus Caesar. Cannot thank him enough.

However, this made no difference to the F key situation where Slave PC F Key sounds play out of sync, but I have made a discovery:

When I copy over files from Master PC to Slave PC, even though both RailMaster programs look identical and are networked as instructed, the F Key sounds on the slave PC misalign.

I can definitely now say with some assurance that when you copy over loco F key programming from Master PC to Slave PC, the F keys labelled “not used” somehow get taken out/lost in the copy over (coding?). Also any sounds after the first 6 viable sounds copied over are also taken out/lost. See below as example:

Master PC Loco

F0 = not used  

F! = Sound on/off

F2 = Horn

F3 = Horn

F4 = Not used

F5 = Wheel Slip

F6 = Not used

F7 = Guard Whistle

F8 = Firemans Breakfast

F9 = Bird Whistle

F 10 etc. Etc.

The above is out of Sync when copied over to Slave PC and you have to adjust Slave PC loco programming by removing “not used” and moving up sounds in the F key list appropriately to sync sounds, but nothing after first 6 sounds will play in Slave PC.

Example of above to play correctly in Slave PC:

Slave PC Loco

F0 = Sound on/off

F1 = Horn

F2 = Horn

F3 = Wheel Slip

F4 = Guard Whistle

F5 = Fireman's Breakfast

F6 = Bird Whistle (will not play as not first 6 sounds copied over))

F7 etc.etc. (will not play as not part of first 6 sounds copied over)

I have asked RailMaster Support to look at this and will update with the above but I still await a reply.

I'll keep you posted with any reply from them.

Kindest regards,

Brian

With regard sounds not working past the first 6 functions. Check the loco settings for that loco in both the Master & Slave PC and make sure that NO MORE than 6 functions have been ticked to show on the small throttle.

A previous poster (granted it wasn't a Master & Slave configuration) had an issue with upper functions not working because he had 7 tick boxes ticked.

But note that because you have both PC function lists offset by one. The combined number of ticked functions across both PCs might total 7 even though only 6 are ticked on each PC. The 7 total based on the Fn numbers rather than text description. Try just ticking 5 functions in each PC to see if the upper functions then play.

Thanks P-Henry. Will look at that today and report back.

BTW, I have a Bachmann loco that is not out of sync because it does’t have “not used” within the first six F keys programmed. It has lights at F0. Still doesn’t play anything after F5. I think I will use this loco as test and start with 3 x ticks each first.

I know I’m having issues networking 2 x PC’s but thinking of paying the tablet licence fee to network my iPad, do they work ok?

Another thing you could try.

That is to give dummy function names to the ones listed as 'not used'. In other words make RM think that they are being used.

For example, let's say that RM currently shows

F0 = not used.

Change it (overtype the entry) with say

F0 = F0 not used.

As far as RM is concerned the text after the = is just free form text and can say anything you like. By putting some arbitrary text in the field, the RM code should treat the button as a 'used' button. The only downside would be that these dummy function buttons will now appear on the throttle. But it may allow you to keep the Function numbers synchronised between Master & Slave.

If the above was tried, your Slave PC would list as:

Slave PC Loco

F0 = F0 not used < this one being the dummy.

F1 = Sound on/off

F2 = Horn

Etc

And the Master PC would match with:

Master PC Loco

F0 = not used < this one being the genuine one that is ignored by RM. 

F1 = Sound on/off

F2 = Horn

Etc

Worth a try, if nothing else.

Hi P-Henry.

I have experimented with your first suggestion and its now moved me away from the "Not Used" hypothesis.

I ticked F0-F2 in the master and F0-F2 in the slave and it only let me use lights and 2 x sounds. 3 x F keys.

So as the ticks were changed after copy over, it is now a "tick box" thing and not a copy over issue.

I then ticked F6-F11 in master and the same F6-F11 in slave. I got my F6 to F11 sounds to play BUT they played through F0-F5 boxes in Slave (in the wrong place.

Regarding your second suggestion, great minds think alike. I had already experimented with inserting a "cuckoo" command where "not used" was. This synced both PC's but no sounds after F5.

Where F0 was "not used" in my master Steam loco setting, I introduced "Lights on/off" to F0 in slave. This synced F1-F5 sounds, but no sounds after F5.

What I need is a German Enigma machine to unscramble coding coming from the master PC and put it in the correct place in my slave PC LOL

Even if things were in the correct place, you are not allowed to tick more than 6 F Key commands at any given time, so I may have gained 6 lost sounds in slave PC F6-F11, but I've now lost the first 6 in F0 to F5 and those after F11.

I don't think this is going to get fixed unless RailMaster agree it is a coding error and update 1.75.5 at some point?

I don't think this is going to get fixed unless RailMaster agree it is a coding error and update 1.75.5 at some point?

I agree......

Don't forget, on a normal RM PC i.e not Master & Slave working. The 6 ticked functions are the only functions to appear on the small throttle.

All used functions 'ticked or not' appear on the large throttle.

One thing to note regarding the large throttle. The 6 ticked functions take the first 6 positions on the large throttle followed by the rest of the unticked functions in numerical order.

This means that the functions on the large throttle may not be shown in strict numerical order. This is completely normal as some people think it is a fault.

I assume that you are opening the large throttle on both your Master & Slave PC when testing and not just testing from the small throttle.

I'm sure you would be using the large throttle, but just checking.

P.S. It seems from your latest documented observations, that the RM bug is in Master Slave working and only the ticked functions are being shared correctly between Master & Slave and all unticked functions are either being ignored or corrupted.

Hi P-Henry. That's a yes to everything.

Master PC working as normal and Slave PC does not although network connection is near immediate and F keys used on Slave PC work immediate. Shame!

I think I will look at your suggestion to use remote access software to view my Master PC screen remotely as an alternative.

Last minute thought.

So far this issue has been with a Hornby TTS loco. Do you experience the same issue with any non Hornby locos (preferably non TTS sound ones or ones with multiple functions).

The reason I ask, is that I am wondering if the issue stems from using the inbuilt Hornby database when adding the Hornby TTS loco to the roster and that a loco that is added manually (ignoring the database) resolves the issue.

A bit of a long shot I know, but other loco issues have been seen on this forum to be attributable to using the Hornby database.

There is a RM FAQ that documents the 'step by step' process for manually adding a loco. Might be worth trying this after first deleting the TTS loco from your current loco roster (throttle list).

The FAQ manual loco adding process means that all sound functions are manually configured as well, again avoiding the use of the database.