Tri-ang Favourites range.

The son of Triangman

I think that if this was to happen then the models would have to be in non-original colours/liveries/lettering as the second hand market is awash with Tri-ang stock and prices for most are falling from what I have seen at the fairs and on eBay. Unless the items produced were the rarer ones such as the Baltic Tank or Continental 2-6-2 which have no actual prototype (although very loosely based on one to fit existing chassis) then who would pay current prices for something with a rubbish motor when you can buy an original with an X04 for much less. I would really like a prototypical green Baltic tank to go with my black and maroon ones but I am never going to pay what would be asked for one nowadays.

As regards the wagons and coaches, short coaches in blue/grey? Plenty of people have painted their own so there must be a demand.

I would say produce some boxes for old stock but the Tri-ang society have already done it.

• 2 weeks later...

The new 0-4-0 tank loco covered in one of the 'Hornby - A Model World' TV programmes may well give the opportunity for that to happen, although outside cylinders would be a bonus. A more 'solid' body such as on the original Nellie and her friends would, to my mind, be more suitable than the rather fragile-looking unsupported rear cab sheet/spectacle plate shown on the prototype if that is intended for sets and the young recipients of same.

Hi Rana, I have to correct you re the continental 2-6-2 Tank it IS based on an SNCF 131TB - indeed the early versions had the number 131TB 12 on the cab sides. It was originally designed to be part of the VB range which Rovex had bought and was retooled to fit the UK Triang chassis. . It of course had a twin in the Hornby-Acho range which was correctly built to Ho scale and still even today a good representation of this Paris suburban tank.. I believe the Baltic tank was loosely based on a Queensland prototype with some echoes of New Zealand.

Bill7437, thanks for the info. I always thought that the continental 2-6-2 was a loose copy of the Hornby Acho one but made to fit the existing chassis they already had. I have a couple of the original black chassis ones, one from a junk box with some damage to the back of the cab, but they don't get much running. The Hornby Acho one that I have is a much better runner than either but unfortunately the lamps are missing off the front.

The Baltic Tank is supposed to be a representation of the New Zealand WAB tank and does bear a likeness to one, but again was made to fit the existing chassis. I think the actual prototype was 3' gauge as well.

https://uhcl.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/23935