TT price jump

GMD

SK did say prices would be adjusted in line with rising costs. I guess all the staff at Hornby have had increases in energy, food and interest rates like everyone else, they will want a pay rise and costs across the board are up significantly in manufacturing and shipping. Pre order prices are honoured as far as I can see. And prices compare very favourably with other TT:120 models from overseas.

Sadly it’s a fact of life that politicians lie and prices go up.

If you add the products into the basket they revert back to the original price. Leads me to think it might be a glitch like the random increase to the digi power connector a few weeks back etc...who knows. Either way I've just preordered the sound fitted HST for £279.99 +15% club discount rather than the £335.99 listing

Thanks for that Rob, hadn’t realised that!

On the assumption that a price rise is coming, I’ve grabbed a few new wagons and waiting room. Finally preordered the 08 too. Was hoping they’d come up with a BR Green but impatience got the better of me.

It does seem quite a jump, 16% ish? I bought one each of the vent vans and the open wagon this morning at the old price. I haven't been able to pre-order anything as I don't have enough money around just in case they suddenly come in to stock and take the payment. Looks like I will have to be more thoughtful of following particular eras. I think I will stick to Era 3 - 5 myself, so I can use my budget on a more limited number of items.

Disappointing, but the market is still there.

Bigger worry for Hornby should be their chronic production problems. Doesn't matter what the price is if they can't actually manufacture products and get them to customers.

If they don't sort it they will have a one way ticket out of business.

Unfortunately, the end users have also had a hike with their everyday bills, and most of us don't get any more money, so they will lose sales. Not ideal for a new venture, but it's the way of the world.

At least they are honoring the pre-order prices.

Everything I pre ordered I got at price at the time.

As I know there will be increases, I just pre-ordered 4 coaches before the price at checkout went up. It means I have to pay postage per coach but it at least cancels out the current increase and any future ones before release !

Bigger worry for Hornby should be their chronic production problems. Doesn't matter what the price is if they can't actually manufacture products and get them to customers.

Care to elaborate on these “chronic production problems”. Thanks

Thanks for pointing this out. Ordered a handful of the wagons that just came into stock. Luckily (for me) the checkout is still showing the "old" price. I also managed to use the few remaining points that didn't add to the order last week.

I have just gone on and set up pre-orders for the Eastener digital, Trigo digital, three BR 57' Carmine and Cream coaches and a Duchess (non digital but it can use Blink Bonny's chip). The pre-orders did not appear in my account yet but I assume quite a few of us are doing the same so maybe it is busy. I hope it does accept them at the old price, I will have a while to save up for them. I was just ordering when things came into stock so I could budget easier.

I do understand price increases, it's just a shame it wipes out the 15% discount - I'll be sticking to a smaller time period to save cash, even if that means no small shunting engine for quite some time! (Fingers crossed for a TT club exclusive model soon!)

Just been and ordered 5 sound fitted steamers, and a non sound easterner since I already have a spare chip. The three Duchesses too. I was hoping to get them as funds allowed and they came into stock, but saving over 30 quid a loco by ordering them now is a no brainer. It's a shame the coaches and buildings will incur postage since Hornby usually send preorders individually.

Care to elaborate on these “chronic production problems”. Thanks

Hi, they are quite well documented, a google search will bring up details, plus substantial 2021/2022 releases still not produced, Coronation coaches in 00 and the steam generator 5MT spring to mind as well as the Class 2.

Already in TT120 there are delays to the Class 08 and the HST rolling stock has been pushed back a whole year, ditto some of the LMS steam stuff.

It seems odd that the 20% cost increase applies to TT and nothing else. The size of the increase suggests a glitch somewhere, especially when the price reverts back when an item is in the shopping basket. Maybe the glitch is VAT-related but, again, odd that it doesn't apply across to 00 or the decoders.

Anyway, I have pre-ordered the sound fitted HST power cars and Mallard as it saves £10 or so before discount and then a further 15% on the extra cost associated with the decoder which you wouldn't normally get with the TT Club discount. I'd already pre-ordered a 66 as Simon K had said that the cost of those might change before release. Hopefully the three orders are well enough spaced that they won't cause too much of an issue when I get charged!

I have just ordered / pre-ordered all the locos and coaches that I had intended to order over the course of this year in one hit.

Luckily I'm after DCC fitted locos and ordered those where available so these are all pre-orders, otherwise it would have proven very expensive!

I also ordered the wagons that are currently in stock. I didn't bother pre-ordering wagons as I decided that the postage charges didn't make them cost effective.

Interestingly, the 20% increase has not been applied to the two TT bundles. They’re still the same price as they were and there’s no disparity when added to the basket. These items of course don’t get the Club discount, nor do they get the 20% back in hobby points (though they do get the 10% hobby points). That second disclaimer about the points has been added more recently I think.

If you go back to the TT:120 section on here, the items in question have officially reverted back to their original pricings, so indeed it would appear to be an error afterall.

RDS Mod Note:

Your post has been re-typed. Please do not use white text on a black background, or next time it will just be deleted.

Still showing at the inflated prices on my phone. Maybe it’s a caching issue at my end if you’re seeing them back at the old prices on the storefront as well as in the basket.

If it is an error, they’ll have wondered what caused the sudden spike in pre-orders! It seemed such an odd thing, so an error was the likeliest reason, but I’m not taking any chances. Costs won’t have gone up just on TT items!

Anyway, I’ll leave my pre-orders in place as they’re due to dispatch roughly at 3 month intervals based on current expectations, which I should be able to afford and at least I make use of the 15% discount.

Just now it seemed some but not all of the prices had reverted. For example Flying Scotsman and the Pullman coaches were still up, all be it only on the initial screen and when you got to the detail they are showing the original pricing.

Very strange web glitch but we have seen others with the shopping portal and I think it is outsourced. It does show how easy it is to raise prices!