Recommended PC for Railmaster

Ditto.....

Anything from XP to W11 but note that RM is written for XP but will run on W7 to W11 but needs some tweaks to get robust USB communication with the track interface controller. All tweaks documented in the Railmaster FAQs.

I have run RM on W8, W8.1 and W10 ACER Laptops.

Only XP uses the Hornby provided USB driver. W7 and above uses the Microsoft driver (as documented in the FAQs).

Thanks, I was aware it runs on windows xp onwards. I’m more thinking of what hardware would allow me to get the most out of using it. I’d be looking for something with a touchscreen and SSD hard drive so it boots quicker, maybe a tablet PC as long as it has USB ports.

Because RM is written for XP, a high performance PC is not critical for running RM. I suspect that RM is probably happier running with a slower PC due to its XP architecture. The PC spec you indicate i.e. SSD will certainly make the Windows OS run more efficiently, but will have little impact on how RM runs. My current W10 RM Laptop is SSD but I have not seen any significant overall Windows performance increase (except quicker boot times) as the rest of the Laptop is built to a budget specification, but was still more than £450 when I bought it to replace my previous Laptop with failed motherboard.

To my mind, having a LARGE screen is a more important key feature to consider, which IMO kinda precludes a tablet style hardware platform.

My original RM Laptop (at more than £600) with HDD was touchscreen but I found I rarely used it. My replacement RM Laptop SSD is not touchscreen and I am quite at home using the built in touch pad.

I've used both USB2.0 & USB3.0 in the past and currently using USB-C without any issues whatsoever (all ACER brand). This is using RM with Elite but I cannot comment on whether I would have had the same flawless experience if I had been using an eLink.

My RM USB links (Elite and eLink) are by way of a PCi module plugged into my HP tower PC motherboard giving me additional USB3 ports. Not had any problems at all, except when a cable has been dislodged when I have been rummaging around the back of the tower.

The set up also works fine with TGG.