Deltic "The Black Watch - question about TXS

Aussie Fred

Yes Aussie Fred, you can…..but firstly

1. Download the HMDCC App to your chosen device (iphone, ipad, or Android)
  2. Link the TXS decoder to the App by following the instructions that will (probably) come with your loco, or by referring to the HMDCC user manual.
  3. Once you’re happy everything is working well using the Bluetooth connection, you can then switch the loco to DCC running (on your usual DCC controller) by clicking on the appropriate button on the “Locomotive Settings” screen (see photo).
  4. You can switch back to Bluetooth control by going back into the App and you’ll be given the option to do so.

Enjoy!

forum_image_650ec49a8d767.thumb.png.a25d64e321709777d8c88565020e8394.png

Actually I hate to say it but he is using DCC and he already said it was fitted with sound which I assume Hornby has set to the right one. So he needs to do nothing, no logging onto anything with his smartphone. So unless I have missed something he doesn't need to do anything unless he wants to, it will run just like any other sound decoder, I know because that is exactly how I run mine.

For once, everyone is right.

Yes it should run on DCC straight out of the box and yes, it will have the correct sound profile.

However, the sound file is almost certain to be version 1 of the profile which can exhibit a distorted horn as the default volume is too high. Don’t rush to run it as correcting the profile is straightforward.

As Pendragon suggests, download the HMDCC app to your phone or tablet. Then follow the instuctions to link the decoder. When you do that you will have the opportunity to download the latest profile and adjust the volume level.

Then, as has been said, if you want to run it as a ‘normal’ decoder, use the app to switch to DCC mode and use your existing controller as normal.

Just a little unsure now, If I do the app thingy and get it running on that, can I then control it from the app as well as control my other trains from my DCC controller. I thought I had to have a "dongle" or something else connected to the system to run HM7000. I guess I will have to study up on the HM7000 system - I am olde school and thought DCC was a big jump forward and still not got my head around that properly.

No dongle needed for HM7000-equipped locos Fred, only for running non-HM7000 through the app.

No dongle needed at all if you wish to do all your programming and running with DCC.

But …. if you want to take advantage of any updates or new profiles, you can only access these OTA (over the air) through the app. Therefore do install it as suggested. In particular, there are running bug fixes in new profiles coming out in about a week, so well worth it.

Colin, please note the last para.

There was a kind of flow chart diagram knocking about somewhere showing the relationship between the HM7K decoders and standard non-Bluetooth DCC only decoders and what kit was used to operate them in their various modes. I drafted it and from memory Rog drew it up all pretty, maybe he still has it.

Fishmanoz, SteveM6 had already covered it, he also said that currently the upgrade wasn't available yet. So in the short term it will run on DCC which is the question I answered, if he wants to use the App, Pendragon has given a nice description on how to do it. The question was can he run it on DCC which he can without doing anything, if he wants to update it he can do it at his leisure. I know fully well that you can reprogram them again SteveM6 identified that, so why are you pointing me to the last paragraph. Reprogramming is delicate task which you only do when you have to, many people have "bricked" their phones where it has failed, now hopefully this app doesn't.

I know that Fishmanoz, but thank you for the advice. I don't thing anyone has implemented programming over DCC although many decoders say you can do it, but obviously not for HM7000 anyway. I think the profile fitted to my West Country is ok, but I will update it to see if it works better.

• 3 weeks later...

My "The Black Watch" has arrived and yes it ran perfectly out of the box on DCC - Just love that Deltic sound, only a short run, more later

BUT and that is a huge BUT, it is not a NEM coupling, so I will have to cut the couplings off and fit the NEM sockets that I got from West Hill Wagon Works, which will probably void its warranty. I will have to check with Hornby Customer service on that.

It is apparently the old Lima tooling dressed as a Railroad version, so given you get a sound fitted loco for the price of a high end sounder decoder, there has to be compromise, such as it is rumoured to be a scale foot too short.

If you want accurate and NEM go for the much more expensive H-D DP1 variant.

Yes I noticed it is about (1/2") shorter than my Bachmann "Meld" model, but all my other Railroads have NEM couplings. It shouldn't be too hard for me to fit the socket and if I want to go back to the old style couplings with it, I have plenty of those couplings spare that fit into the NEM socket.