D-Day Operation Overlord Gift Set

JohnWJ

I'm completely new to modelling and about to buy my first kit, the Operation Overlord gift set. Before I do I'd like to try and sort out what scale it is. In the bottom left of the box it states 1:76, however, the smaller print states the Higgins LCVP and Wil ly's MB Jeep are both 1:72. The technical information on the website also states 1:72.

I'd be very grateful if someone could clarify which scale it is.

If I happen to enjoy making this model, and if I happen to do okay, then I may purchase other D-Day diorama's to expand the display, and I obviously want to stick with the same scale throughout.

Thanks in advance.

@ John

Two things to bear in mind about scale.

One, a 1/72 model is bigger than a 1/76 scale model in all three dimensions. So the overall size difference is that the 1/72 is (76/72)^3 as big as a 1/76, i.e. it is 118% of the size. It is about seven-sixths of the size.

Two, not all scale models are scale accurate. Some supposedly 1/72 models are 1/71, some are 1/75 and others are a different scale in each dimension. That last is actually quite common. There have been three different 1/76 StuG III models (Airfix, Fujimi, Nitto) and they're all a different width. Revell OTOH makes a 1/72 Jagdpanther and a 1/76 ex-Matchbox Jagdpanther and they're almost the same size.

So: be prepared for some surprises.

I had no idea they were that varied John and from what you've said, this is an issue across all brands. It's obviously something that you modellers are well used to and something I'll have to accept too. It's good to know though ... thank you.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure this isn't the place to get a resolution but I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. My family bought me the Overlord set as a birthday present. I am just making my first very tentative steps with it and am horrified to find the first pot of paint I open is dried up solid. I'm reluctant to open all the pots before I need them so don't know how bad the problem is. Is this something that Airfix can help me with or do I have to ask my family to get back in touch with the retailer? A very disappointing start to my new modelling hobby.

Under British Consumer Law, your first recourse is always the trader who sold you the item. The paint may have dried up because the retailer didn't store it properly - I had some dry out last year in the hot summer (remember that).

im guessing its acrylic paint, if the paint isnt solid but more dry and crumbly try adding a few drops of water and mixing it in and then adding more drops as you go along till its a nice consistency you can paint with I've managed to fetch a few pots back to life not all of them but a few its worth a try

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't wanted to let my family know their gift wasn't fit for purpose but I did. It seems they purchased the kit through Amazon and they are currently exploring the Return/Replace options available to them. I'll wait and see what they come back with before I do any more. Fingers and toes are crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks of back and forth wrangling with the original seller, the best result my family could get was a partial refund of £12 which is supposed to cover the cost of buying the paints separately.

Before I start ordering various pots of paint from wherever, does anyone know if it's possible to buy the actual 5ml pots as shipped in the kit?

That's extremely generous of you John, thank you. Regrettably it is almost all of the pots in the gift set, HOWEVER, on a wing and a prayer I contacted Airfix Spares department and they are currently looking into what they can do to help. If they can supply the full set then I'll be sorted. Fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...

The final outcome of my dilemma will come as no surprise. After many weeks of waiting for a response, Customer Services have finally advised me that there is nothing they can do to help. That their product is being sold "unfit for purpose" by one of their stockists, is of no concern to them. I will now purchase sufficient paints (not Humbrol) to complete the model, and will buy Tamiya and/or Revel kits in the future.

I evaluate companies not on whether something ever goes wrong but on how well the company supports the customer when it does. In my eyes, Airfix are not the quality company I thought they were.

Airfix are not a party to the original contract and therefore not obliged to provide remedial actions, that is for the original seller to provide to honour their Consumer Rights Act 2015 responsibilities. In this instance, the seller refunded £12 which was accepted by the original contracting party and therefore is unactionable for future claims. Unfortunate, but Airfix are not culpable for the actions of third parties.

Andy

I've recently 'returned' to the hobby and have also had a few issues with paint. Here are my thoughts although I don't expect everyone will agree!

It's difficult to get a really good finish using the small acrylic paints. Not impossible but harder than it should be. There is an Airfix demo on building and painting a Lamborghini kit that's worth a look. The larger acrylics are better but vary a lot between colours. The old style enamel paints are miles easier to work with. Maybe not fashionable to say it but that's what I've found. They're not expensive, and can be cleaned with household white spirit, although if you want to replace all 18 in the set it will add up. They do last for many kits/years though. Aerosol plastic primer is worth using as a base coat particularly on larger areas (I use one from Halfords just now). I budget to buy a couple of new paints for each kit and now have a collection that covers most eventualities.

It's worth watching a few of the You Tube videos, I've found a lot of new (to me) products and techniques such as the Tamiya extra thin solvent adhesive this way.

Finally I think Airfix are actually a small and probably understaffed company so not the best at stocking replacement items these days. I like their kits as they are the ones I grew up building (a long time ago now) and find them a bit easier than others to work with. Amazon can be a good source but prices vary wildly. I would love a local model shop but my nearest is over 50 miles away. Perhaps I should open one when I retire.

Good luck and don't give up.

Paul

I am perfectly aware there is no obligation on any of these companies but, as a beginner to the hobby, I had foolishly hoped one of them would have offered some assistance. The stockist did at least offer a token refund. All any of us can do when things go wrong is learn from the experience and avoid making the same mistake again.

Thank you to all the forum members who have offered their help and guidance since my first post. It has been much appreciated.

• 2 months later...
On 04/11/2023 at 18:27, JohnWJ said:

I'm sure this isn't the place to get a resolution but I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. My family bought me the Overlord set as a birthday present. I am just making my first very tentative steps with it and am horrified to find the first pot of paint I open is dried up solid. I'm reluctant to open all the pots before I need them so don't know how bad the problem is. Is this something that Airfix can help me with or do I have to ask my family to get back in touch with the retailer? A very disappointing start to my new modelling hobby.

These Airfix starter kits are notorious for having dried up paint pots. I did hear they were changing their design as this is something I’ve never known to happen to Revell’s. 

Sometimes I’ve found a drop of water can revive them but if they’ve gone too far and cured hard then they are as good as done 😞

As you find your favourite genre you’ll have a set of your own paints so this won’t be a problem in future 🤞

Hope you managed to sort is and now have a lovely D-Day build. 

• 5 weeks later...

I know this a few months old, but I too have started this set.  I started on the first one in the instructions; the Sherman tank, and the first paint pot (86 Matt Light Olive) is also dried up.  I added water to it a few drops at a time and I've resurrected it.  All the other paints in the box look of a similar dried up vintage so its a bit disappointing.  I guess this is just a re-boxed 75th anniversary so they've been there for at least 5 years.

The Sherman tank is as far as I am aware a very old mould, and it shows.  I've had to do a lot of remedial work on it to remove flash and ejection marks. The wheels for the track also had to be whittled out so the axles would fit.  I'm hoping this is the worst one🙄

Its actually a skill level 3 so not exactly a starter set.  I'd recommend a dry fit first so you can see where things are not lining up and need a wee bit of a shave.

The paint schemas are very simplistic (a single colour for the tank and black for the tyres).  There is detail on the sides of the tank such as shovels etc, so I intend to see if I can enhance the drab.

I am just a starter in this too - 40+ years since I last built a model!

One other thing too.  The kit is supplied with US vehicles, but with British soldiers.  The Sherman was not used by the British on Sword or Gold beaches, but by the Americans on Omaha (well according to what I've found anyway).  Looks like they've just meshed together bits they've had lying around and is no way accurate for a particular beach during Operation Overlord.

So far so disappointed!