1:600 HMS Tiger C20 build

KiwiKev

forum_image_654af46ee419b.thumb.png.6f563d15088e19bfb9177ce637d138bd.png

This "born again" cruiser was originally based on the Town / Colony class, but was completed after the war to a modified design. It looks distinctly under-gunned compared to the original plan, but the fully automatic turrets and extensive electronics and accommodation needs limited how many of the new weapons could be carried.

Its origins suggest this model could be used to kit-bash a Town class cruiser if you're thinking of doing such a conversion.

The basic kit is fairly light on detail so the idea will be to glean as much extra detail off the web, and add it. Underwater details are not great, this model needs an extra set of shafts as it comes with only two shafts instead of 4. Bilge keels and armour belt are also missing, both easily added.

I believe there are a few other problems with the accuracy of this kit but my aim will be to avoid any major re-builds, just to enhance the detail to end up with a visually interesting kit.

Very nice. I may copy some of your details. The Micro-master website includes replacement 3 inch and 6 inch turrets for this model. I'm not going to buy their excellent products in this case but will use the 3D renderings to plan some extra detail for them. Waterlining them does of course eliminate the need to add the extra shafts and bilge keels.

Some basic detailing has been done. The model looks so much better even with port holes drilled out along superstructure walls. I've also added various vents, equipment boxes, and conduit either from photos of the ship or model, or in some cases purely best guess to add some detail to a plain area. Rivet counters would not be impressed, but my aim here is not 100% accuracy but a good looking model.

I've added the midships section of armour and may leave it at that although a lower strake should probably also extend fore and aft.

The holes for the boat mounting between the funnels have been filled, the pins removed from the boats, and some boat cradles will need to be built. Fiddly I know but I'm not a fan of the boats being pinned direct to the deck.

The extra shaft can also be seen outboard of the originals. The screws provided seem a little on the small side so I plan to scratch build 4 slightly larger ones. Bilge keel still to be added and I'll copy the position and extent from the excellent Belfast model.

forum_image_654bed7d08a9c.thumb.png.082f67b39aa9c7d36016be5297ce5011.png

Very cool plans. This one I will build pre-conversion. Not sure what I'd do with another one of these. My other Tiger kit actually had almost two extra of each sprue, and I was toying with the idea of creating a "super Tiger" with four 6 inch turrets and four or six 3 inch turrets, there seems to be plenty of deck space. Also possible to build it in the originally planned Town type layout.

Nice work Kev. I like your approach to making the model come alive and I really enjoy following your builds. Sailorman’s finished ships are very lovely as well.

Now the surplus 3”-70 calibre secondary mounts could always go on a scratch built RCN Restigouche or Mackenzie class frigate….the only other ships to use this mount.

Quite happy with my upgrade of the 3 inch mount. The 6 inch mount still looks a bit clunky, but is slightly improved.

The 3 inch mount has 13 extra items added. It has an extended front face with the slight dropped down skirt, and is raised slightly on a barbette type platform. It shouldn't be sitting flat on the deck as originally supplied.

I used the renderings on a 3D printer website to plan the detail on these mounts. Of course the 3D printed parts are beautiful but slightly pricey, and I enjoy trying to get these models up to a reasonable standard using as much of the original parts when possible.

The breakwater visible here is annoying me as it looks far too low, and I'll probably replace it with something more substantial and with bracing ribs.forum_image_654c8f1171861.thumb.png.c6387d5f8575dd52ef22543c920d7806.png

I decided on the minimalist approach with the breakwater, just gluing some thin styrene sheet to the front of what is already there, rather than removing the original. Reinforcing ribs at the front are only visible across the mid section. For now I haven't put any on behind the angled sections, but may do, although still looking for a good image of what is there. Knowing me tho, I'll probably just have a guess.forum_image_655135b8b9a29.thumb.png.6666dadc2ed0e15b0abe17284d92ac23.png

The aft deck is planked and I have tried the old trick of marking lines on the deck and very thin coats over the top. This is very much a work in progress. Definitely need to improve my marking technique to get the lines evenly spaced and parallel. May have to revert to some old tech drawing skills for that next time. I'm loath to start again on this one, hopefully another light coat of Humbrol 71 will soften the effect a little more.forum_image_655135c300382.thumb.png.b9e994b80a3a6e46fa73d5cbdaa4fd7d.png

Painting of the vertical surfaces is almost complete. Added some more ribs to the breakwater after looking more closely at the photos I had. The amount of detail now looks quite good. Next big jobs are deck painting and photo etch railing added. Everything is dry fitted at this stage. It's importatnt not to glue too much on until you've done the railing, as you need maximum access either side to do a good paint job on them.forum_image_65543694e7315.thumb.png.2c64db95cb539c46ffce5a4a78a10596.png

Midships area. The cutters on deck will be mounted on the davits supplied but not shown here. The over-sized down lines have been removed and the boats will rest on small supports I've glued to the davits. The boat crane has a nice PE jib, but is not quite on the right angle here, will be upright when glued. Both lattice masts are shown here, definitely a worthwhile if fiddly upgrade from the WEM ultimate RN post war set. There are still at least 12 PE ladders in various places to be fitted. I prefer to pre-paint them and then position them with a tiny spot of PVA which dries clear but allows ample time for correct positioning. forum_image_655436a113c36.thumb.png.6833c20300e03821c430b5d0f7b88f91.png

Pretty much done apart from some paint touch-ups. Really enjoyable build. Would certainly consider getting another of these and trying to convert it into a Colony class cruiser, possibly even combining the Belfast kit parts with the Tiger hull. You'll note the extra shafts and screws have been added. forum_image_6559640758a7b.thumb.png.f86287161c10a14ff622d1ab6819b540.png

forum_image_655964120302a.thumb.png.b9f99505c47197bdce94979b765d7f7c.png

forum_image_6559641d9be25.thumb.png.33bb466a5113208bd41c8070539a722d.png

forum_image_6559642ad9e40.thumb.png.3e388c29a0c7273fadcc3ab8af2d28d6.png

• 2 weeks later...