Electrotren 2024

ellocoloco

It often seems that I am the only regularly active forum member with a close interest in Hornby Int'l - Electrotren in particular. Around 60% of my model spend over the last 20yrs has gone on this brand and this year may well be when track starts to get laid!

Anyway, the countdown clock to the Noche de los Reyes Magos is up once again on the Club Electrotren webpage. This will finish at 23:00GMT on the 5th of Jan - midnight in Spain and is when the three kings arrive with presents for the good guys. Traditionally there was no fatman in a red jumpsuit for the Spanish but that has crept in more recently and many have two Christmases!

forum_image_658a91f037c90.thumb.png.346f840385d60667292a188bfb6ef3b3.png

This is when the Club models for next year will be announced and the main range should come with the rest of the Hornby Int'l selection a few days later. Its that time again for my solo wish list. As per other years, the RENFE 310 is at the top of my list either in straight form or as the TMD variant. For coaches, the ARCO rebuilds are long overdue and it would be great to have a hopper such as these used by VIAS and seen in Cullera.

forum_image_658a91f265066.thumb.png.431e5afeeb534ca1bb226e9229c1ade1.png

Over the years so may of Electrotren's ALCos have been released in Contractors liveries and there have never really been any suitable wagons for them. I would certainly need a few hoppers to go with my locos.

forum_image_658a91fac0b44.thumb.png.56caf6e1fb1d499172bbb28e7a887303.png

Fingers crossed for 24.

After a couple of busy days at work and my car popping a brake cylinder I've now had a chance to sit down and have a good look through the International Catalogue.

At first glance I think this could be a cheap year for me. I have the 309 and MIT tractor on order. These were announced in 2023 and 2022 respectively, but we have all got used to waiting. The rest of the power selection seems very 'electric' focused and a little out of era for me. The 444.500 is tempting although I have tried to avoid buying electrics so as not to have to bother with catenary (but a couple have sneaked into my collection - the 470 Smurf was irresistible). I think I will wait however. I would expect it to be released as a 448 (the 500 subseries were eventually renumbered as the 448 class) in Danone blue and white which is more appropriate to my plans. Because of the cab shape, these were known as 'washing machines' and I find their hideousness oddly attractive! These appear to have been received very well on the Spanish forums.

Of the coaches, the weedkiller coach is the only thing that might be on my hitlist. I had been thinking a herbicide train might be an interesting repaint project and this might get me started.

Of the wagons, I was hoping for some more MMC container flats as these are lovely models and I don't have enough for a train - do we ever!

Of course, we could all use another 596 and these are all being offered with new running numbers - and another livery. The multiple numbers are a great idea and something OO modellers often ask for.

(I am also quite taken with the Rivarossi FS Gr685, but lets not go there! sunglasses)