Getting into the hobby first layout

Grenkin

19 hours ago, Grenkin said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6653fd637fceeac05ec4017cca0f26ac.jpeg

How realistic is this?

Not very!

I've built several multi board layouts and TBH that one would be a nightmare to build and put together, if you were getting it built by a baseboard manufacturer it wouldn't be cheap either!

The track junction between boards 2 and 5 won't work as it stands either. If you are looking to have a junction between the two points it needs to be right angled across the joint, not at an angle like that.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, though. My first thoughts when looking at the track diagram is simply two boards, 1700mm long and split half way round the curves so you have a right angle joint on the tracks. Lose the top siding on the right and to compensate add some curved track to the ends of top three of those sidings. If that's a loco shed and needs to be straight then just lose the top siding, it lengthens the one below it anyway so no great loss.

You could, in theory, have the board divided into quarters, again lose the top right siding, baseboard joints across half way round the curves and down the middle. Bear in mind that if the track is fixed down at each baseboard joint you will have to remove the fishplates and solder the rails to stop them moving. My layout uses Modeltech aligners. It's the first time I've used them and I am impressed. Note that there is only one track crossing at an angle and I've used plain track where the rails have been cut parallel with the joint, the rest are straight crossings and no points.

https://www.modeltech.uk/product-page/tt-protrack-rail-aligner

Station.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've built modular/portable layouts for exhibition since the 80s.  I'd approach this one as a simple vertical and horisontal cut into 4 rectangles as suggested above.  No need for complex shapes. There may even be a commercial baseboard kit out there for boards close to the sizes you'd want. 
Ensure you use pattern maker's dowels to align the boards accurately when brought together, secure the rail ends so they stay in position, and cut through with a fine razor saw.   All standard stuff.  Yes you'd have a few rail joints crossing at an angle but not many. Soldering the rail to brass screws either side of the cut will work at any angle (many of the commercial track aligners are really only good for right-angles across the joint).  Slight re-arrangement of the sidings and/or use of flexi track would help to minimise the number of joints or awkward angles.
Multi-pole umbilical chords / flying leads and connectors to link the boards electrically.
Arrange buildings either side of the joint or keep them as removable items so they sit over and disguise the joint. 
Here's the oldest part of my N gauge layout, it splits into 8 rectangles (you can see one of the joins and brass screws for the rails in the close-up photo of the fiddleyard).  Built in 1995 it still has perfectly accurate alignment every time.

Image2_sharpened.jpg

P1010027.JPG

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can assure you that will be a lot easier to do than the five boards he gave you!! The two rail crossings at angles can be done in the way NTP has done on his layout in the photos.

• Like 1

With that quartered board design, if you were to insert a half/quarter straight between the two points that butt against each other - it would give you a simpler piece of track to split across the join.

That would avoid risking potential damage to the points or interference if you plan to use point motors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...