New Platform

There are teases that a new platform in coming for the forum.

I hope that it’s something along the lines of an App. It’s a really simple and useful way to bring together lots of elements of Hornby’s on line presence, a better forum/community experience, club membership, offers and shop etc.

It will, like the main Hornby Hobbies website, be a Web based application, which will work on Windows and IOS browsers, both desktop, laptop and mobile.

You will not require nor will you be given any different a way of accessing it than you do now.

@Rallymatt - modern computers & modern OS’ can indeed run apps (that are compatible). However be fair, a website that actually resolves the current one’s issues & limitations and functions properly, would be a fantastic start.

(let’s not worry about it joining the 21st century just yet!) 😉

I miss the old days, where a handwritten note on vellum would arrive to inform me of the latest model railway developments ….

Apart from a few quirks, we can’t really complain about the forum offering, it’s free and does by and large work. My musing over app, was based on some other hobbies where various commercial ventures have integrated a community with news resource and their own sales and online TV channel.

To be fair to my original 'tongue in cheek' (bars) comment. I find that even when an organisation or company or utility push hard to market with an IOS & Android APP. These are usually always run in parallel with a Windows PC Desktop website version as well. The 'NHS APP' for example gives people the choice.

Everything the NHS APP can do on my Android, I can do via my Desktop PC. I choose to use the Desktop version because I can automate the login. On the Android APP it insists that I mandatory type in my login details for every single access. This drives me up the wall.

As an aside, for those readers who have set up the NHS APP, do you agree that the security hoops you have to jump through just to get an account to log into is totally 'over the top' and unecessary. This is a rhetorical question by the way.

For those who have never set up the NHS APP, one of the extreme things they asked me to do was ... they sent me an access code that I had to write on a piece of paper. I then had to video myself holding up the paper with the code whilst speaking the code verbally. The video has to capture your face with the written code visible in the frame along with the spoken audio. The video is then uploaded to be checked by an AI Bot for authorisation.

That was a couple of years ago, whether the security check policy is different today ... I couldn't say.

The gov . uk site access is much the same run around process.

I login using the secure details they made one jump thru' hoops to obtain, then they ring my land line with a time limited machine spoken key code that I have to enter. Then I get to access my info.

What I want to do is amend my profile to ditch my landline as they are going digital this year and I can save a few quid by binning it in favour of a data only line. I wonder how they will contact me then.

NHS app is no problem, I just told it to use my existing doctors surgery access details that I use for repeat prescription ordering. Same Email and password and I'm in.

After 3 months trying, I eventually gave up trying to get Gov.UK access. I don't have a Valid Passport and couldn't pass ANY of the alternative security checks that they take in absence of a Passport security check.

Removing the weakest link (user) from the equation also works wonders! 😉

On a serious note - I will never cease to be amazed how often removing power, pausing, reapplying power does actually work.

(The opportunity to observe extremely intelligent people, rendered utterly speechless by the performance of this ‘magic trick’, is a gift.)

Hornby has given the forum Moderators across all brands early sight of the new platform to have a play with.

At first glance it provides many of the features requested both by the Moderators and forum members.

Such things are:

Direct messaging between members.

A 'Like' button, although this is a pop out of various emojis, similar to those seen on RMWeb forum.

Each member will be able to lodge images in their own gallery, or place an image direct in post from their local PC. At present images appear to lodge without need for approval but this may be due to moderator status.

Posting live hyperlinks will be a simple 'chain' icon press as seen in other applications.

The search engine is better and can be set to look in title or content or for a member.

Split and merge of posts to allow fettling of posts made in error.

Members will be able to follow other members and/or posts and be able to set notifications to alert when status of those changes.

Hornby plans on a soft roll out in that not all features will be presented at once. This will give members time to adjust and come up to speed as opposed to having a sea change to cope with. No date has been set for the platform changeover.

The overall corporate look of each brand will be maintained and many members may not even notice the update happen.

Some good features being added and I think does underline Hornby’s commitment to the modelling community rather than just being a faceless corporation. Thanks for the update Rob, as Peter says, hopefully it will soon settle down to reducing the moderators workload when it does come online 👍

Looking forward to being able to ‘like’ all of those improvements - bravo Hornby. 👍👏

Out of interest, are there any plans for restricting, managing or moderating DM’s? (considering this forum is supposed to be available to all ages - unrestricted entirely private DMs could be a little problematic!)

Also can DMs be an optional choice for a member to accept or not. In other words can a member 'opt out' of receiving DM's if they don't want to.

Yes - you can opt for an email, a local pop up notification or none. Ditto any item listed.

Here is a glimpse of typical user choice options. Noting not all items are fixed at rhis stage.

forum_image_65be96b29fd6b.thumb.png.7b3e1a8456027356cb7499c3a6bd75c4.png