Poorly targeted Hornby offers

I just received an offer email with free gifts at certain spend levels.

This offer is for the OO catalogue, OO commemorative loco or OO Skaledale bundle at purchase levels up to £200.

Problem is that I'm almost exclusively a TT120 modeller, as evidenced by my orders from Hornby, so none of these offers are of any use or interest.

In their annual reports and trading updates, Hornby frequently mention their CRM (customer relationship management) software allowing them to target offers, but if this email is anything to go by, it needs more work! Finally, the email says the offer is for this week only, yet was sent on a Friday!

I know this is a whingy email (I am a Pom after all), but I do think they need to improve their targeting somewhat.

Edit - clicking through, I’m told that these free items can’t be removed. So if I was to order anything from Hornby that activated this offer, I’d receive items I didn’t want or need and would have to get rid of somehow. In fact this might carry on until stocks last, so puts me off ordering from them until the offer is over.

Having already bought a catalogue the last thing I need is another one, likewise a Scalex racing loco or scenic items I can't use. How about - no thanks, but knock the discount amount off my bill or credit me some Brownie Reward Points.

Having already bought a catalogue the last thing I need is another one, likewise a Scalex racing loco or scenic items I can't use. How about - no thanks, but knock the discount amount off my bill or credit me some Brownie Reward Points.

Looking forward to being able to "like" your posts next week. You make a valid point that many OO modellers won't want these items.

These offers are well meaning but need a bit more thought in their execution. Reward Points at even 25% or 50% of the freebie value should be an option.

I think the Rewards Points route is how all future incentives and offers should run. It’s common sense. Don’t give people stuff they don’t want but a few points is always appreciated and will always result in a more substantial purchase boosting Hornby’s revenue

Yes, I think these offers are counter productive from Hornby's point of view. As Moccasin says if you don't want the gift, it does put you off placing orders while the offer is on. That happened to me with the free London Bus before Christmas. I took one as fortunately I know an 8 year old that I could gift it to. So they must be losing revenue as a result of offers that people don't want.

Call be cynical but "free" giveaways will always be targeted at things that are overstocked. Still as an overseas buyer of mainly TT120 I can't see myself buying directly from Hornby anymore now that I can buy from retailers at a discount equivalent to Hobby Points (but not in arrears as Hobby Points works) with lower shipping costs and more flexible shopping carts that will hold preorders to combine shipping. They also have TT120 from other manufacturers so they can cover more of my needs.

Call be cynical but "free" giveaways will always be targeted at things that are overstocked..

I don’t think that’s at all cynical. I think it’s exactly how it is.

“we’ll get rid of this stuff whether the customer wants it or not”

Just my (good) luck I missed out on a free catalogue to supplement the one I already have.

The trouble with handing out points instead of freebies is they would still be stuck with the excess stock. No doubt the write down values against inventory are different depending upon how you get shot of them. I am sure it is a lot more complex than us mere mortals think it is.