R7326 HM7040: Bluetooth® Legacy Dongle In Stock

Dodge1965

2 hours ago, Richard-1290913 said:

Hello, can I use the legacy dongle to control multiple non bluetooth dcc decoders at the same time. On the control screen it only shows one loco I can control at once. 

Also, how do you add functions to the locos? 

Similar to the bluetooth decoders you can only have direct control of any one loco at a time, you pick your loco to control from the ribbon listing as per normal.

To add functions you either do it manually or if its TTS you can import the exact function map from the profiles screen.

My Legacy Dongle arrived early this morning via DPD. I set it up straightaway, following the instructions to the letter, and it worked at first time of trying. I have a Bachmann Class 205 Thumper unit, which has a Southwest Digital Loksound decoder and speaker fitted (many years ago). I have also added a second loco which has a TCS DP2X-UK decoder (non-sound) and that also works perfectly. A great piece of kit for £39.99. My Elite (v.1.45) is an older version so has two ports on the back in which to plug the Dongle(s).

On 2/22/2024 at 4:12 PM, 96RAF said:

Just a heads up for anyone trying to load multiple TTS function key profiles. There is a slight glitch that allows loading the first one but stops the second and subsequent. There is however a workaround, albeit a bit protracted, so if you have many to do it will be onerous and you may wish to delay doing many for now until fixed.

This is what you have to do:

Unassign any locomotives from the HM7040 in the Manage Device screen. 

Create a new 'Temp' vehicle in the Engine Shed. 

Assign the HM7040 to it, ensuring that this is the only locomotive the 7040 is assigned to. 

Tap on Settings.

Tap on Profiles.

Find your chosen function map.

Plug in the HM7040 / 'Temp' loco.

Tap on Import Function Map.

Go to Locomotive Settings of the 'Temp' locomotive. 

Tap on Export Function Map.

Save the Function Map with a given name. 

Go to Engine Shed. 

Tap on the correct locomotive you wish for the newly exported function map to be applied to.

Tap on Import Function Map.

Choose the Function Map you recently exported.

This will install the function map for another locomotive.

Repeat this process using the 'Temp' locomotive with other profiles, exporting each Function Map out and re-importing them back in to the correct locomotive.

Once complete, go to Manage Devices, tap on HM7040 and assign the HM7040 to all locomotives you wish to control with it.

Bug fix on the way.

Apologies I am stuck on the Step  Plug in the HM7040 / 'Temp' loco.

Not sure what is meant by "Plug In"... When in the Profile do you Mean Decoder Selection, if I try this I do not see my Temp Loco with the HM7040 attached... 

Any further guidance would be appreciated!

When you plug in the 7040 and it has sanned and linked to the app you get the option to import a default profile to the loco it presumes you have. Accept it for now. You will end up with a loco in your engine shed address 3 assigned to the dongle even if you do not have one. You can sort that out later.

The best way to go about this is to list all your 'legacy' locos in the engine shed and if they are TTS equipped go into the profile page and import that function map to each one.

Then in manage devices - 7040-xxxx assign all those ready listed locos to the dongle.

Here is an example that I was using today to check which addresses the dongle can command when attached to a Select.

I had a test loco (legacy decoder) to which in sequence I programmed a list of addresses ranging from single to double to triple to quadriple digits.

Then I went to my dongle default loco and chaged its address in rhe app loco settings screen to each of those addresses in turn, checking to see if I could control them from the app via the dongle attached to a Select.

You can do the same with the dongle attached to an Elite but will see different control results. If anyone is interested I will explain those results later maybe in a new thread.

11 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Work in progress. More testing this afternoon.

Yes me also ... I am able to add Legacy Locos control basic functions BUT not clear how I add the Sound Functions, etc.

I have used the Hornby Guidance ...

image.png.e80f1307cef59007cd0afdc3366e5890.png

But am not seeing my Legacy Engines in Decoder Selection Step... or your step above!

Confused!

Have you defined your legacy locos in the Engine shed. If not they will not be available to assign to the dongle.

Here you can see those legacy locos that are assigned to the dongle and those legacy locos sitting in the engine shed awaiting assignment to this or another dongle.

Notice also the Elite/Select option buttons which control how certain Functions are controlled. More info if required.

IMG_1737.png

16 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Have you defined your legacy locos in the Engine shed. If not they will not be available to assign to the dongle.

Here you can see those legacy locos that are assigned to the dongle and those legacy locos sitting in the engine shed awaiting assignment to this or another dongle.

Notice also the Elite/Select option buttons which control how certain Functions are controlled. More info if required.

Yes on Notice also the Elite/Select option buttons which control how certain Functions are controlled. More info if required

I think I maybe misunderstanding - is there an option to import a function Map onto a Legacy Engine to control sound, etc..

image.png

image.png

Dongle now received and all setup with some TTS function imports too using the workaround. My "temp" loco was assigned to the dongle first, then it will always come up when I go through the profiles / decoder selection / import function map step for all my subsequent locos. All straight forward once you work out the button presses :classic_ohmy:.

Just another, too many, more locos to add now!

• Like 1

In the workaround, I found another step needed as highlighted below, unless I've missed something...?

• Find your chosen function map.

• Plug in the HM7040 / 'Temp' loco.

• Tap decoder selection and then the temp loco

• Tap on Import Function Map.

Edited by gilbo2

@Boakesy1707818633

There are profiles to import the function key map for TTS locos which save you typing them in. Note these are just the F-key maps, you cannot import a TTS sound profile.

If your legacy loco is not TTS then try the default 7040 profile, modify it to suit then export it under a name of choice for reimport to another similar loco.

Elite - Select button is self explanatory, if your controller is a Select use Select, if an Elite use Elite, if neither try each in turn to see which handles F13-F28 correctly.

IMG_1740.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Having more than 10 locomotives with the older Hornby DCC decoders running off an Elite controller, Was keen to move into the HM7000 world. While I have added one locomotive with the HM7000, this legacy dongle has now let me control all my DCC locomotives using the HM7000 app from an iPad. The HM7000 app makes control of the locomotives and functions very easy and now the legacy dongle has made it possible for me to control all my older DCC locos with the same app.

However must state that the first legacy dongle sent to me was faulty but Hornby was very quick to replace the same. And now my complete layout works thru the HM7000 app like a dream.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have my Dongle. Installation was easy and rapid. The instructions could have mentioned the Engine Shed concept, but given the discussion on here that was not a problem. It is now just a matter of getting the functions set up for my non-7000 decoders. All good. All excellent in fact. I'm enjoying this. 

Tip for youngsters who only know Wi-Fi: the connector on the Dongle is best left connected if possible. The latch part - which is the industry standard and not Hornby/HM's design - is cunningly designed to snag on other wires and break off. The plug will still work but it will not be secure.

• Like 1

I really like the Dongle. It works perfectly as intended. But "Getting to know the HM7040", the instruction leaflet, is odd.

It gets off to a helpful start and then there are a couple of significant omissions.

There is no mention of:

• the need to set Elite or Select Mode
  • the essential Engine Shed concept

There is space on the back though for diagrams of 5 different ways to use the Club Adaptor, which will not be a lot of use without a fully-stocked Engine Shed.

I know that this forum is the best source of up-to-date information (and a sincere thank you for that) but some buyers will not. So there is my only slightly negative feedback. As I have said before, the product, the software and the user experience - it is all excellent and HM/Hornby deserves to have a huge success on their hands. That is my opinion anyway.

Edited by dBerriff
Unfinished sentence removed.

The point about the leaflet content is a good one. I’d also add that it’s very small text and I can’t remember if there’s a link to the online version, but if not then a QR code linking to the online version might be a worthwhile addition for those with poor eyesight! 

2 hours ago, Moccasin said:

The point about the leaflet content is a good one. I’d also add that it’s very small text and I can’t remember if there’s a link to the online version, but if not then a QR code linking to the online version might be a worthwhile addition for those with poor eyesight! 

The support guides area does include both the quick start guide and the full HM7000/7040 guide. https://uk.hornby.com/hm7000/hm-dcc-guides
The full guide includes reference to the Elite type button (short press-long press) and also the Elite-Select option that is needed to get higher functions to work correctly.

The information is there if you keep looking for updates.

6 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

The support guides area does include both the quick start guide and the full HM7000/7040 guide. https://uk.hornby.com/hm7000/hm-dcc-guides
The full guide includes reference to the Elite type button (short press-long press) and also the Elite-Select option that is needed to get higher functions to work correctly.

The information is there if you keep looking for updates.

Thanks yes, point taken - I was thinking more about the small paper leaflet that comes with the dongle. I’m sure I’m not the only one who found the type used too small to read easily.

A QR code printed on the leaflet could take you to the support pages with the more detailed info (and at bigger font!). It’s been a while now, so if it’s already there I apologise!

15 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

Thanks yes, point taken - I was thinking more about the small paper leaflet that comes with the dongle. I’m sure I’m not the only one who found the type used too small to read easily.

A QR code printed on the leaflet could take you to the support pages with the more detailed info (and at bigger font!). It’s been a while now, so if it’s already there I apologise!

Too late for current production dongles but I will suggest amendment to include a QR code to the guides area.

11 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Too late for current production dongles but I will suggest amendment to include a QR code to the guides area.

Thanks. Might apply too to decoder leaflets - maybe a link to The Manual will help there too! Again, only when the current needs updating 

• Like 1