The "new" forums are now even worse than before.

Too Tall

1 minute ago, threelink said:

OK so I appear to be getting the hang but what on earth is all this childish nonsense about badges, for goodness' sake?

New toy, so someone thought they would implement it. Another site I used, decided to use it and binned it after a couple of days, I imagine this will go the same way eventually. Having seen it before I was quite surprised they had used it on a serious application.

15 minutes ago, threelink said:

The "ranking" of the badges appears to be based purely on the number of posts , not on their content, so it is simply a fatuous irrelevance and the sooner it goes the better IMHO.

You can't do it on content that needs someone to look at it and review it, as I said it is just a feature that would normally get implemented in something like Facebook, where it encourages people to throw in more and more posts. Things like what I had for tea tonight. As I said it was implemented on another site I use, I threw in a ton of photos and posts just to see what it did, total waste of time. As I said they binned it in the end.  

Not sure about the marketing aspect directly. ‘Likes’ and its effect on ‘Rep’ does indicate general agreement and appreciation of a members contribution. On the whole that tends to be useful and positive posts; so if that encourages that mentality, it is better for the forum and the hobby as a whole. There is far too much negativity in the world without letting it creep into a creative and wonderful hobby like model railways. There will always be those that are ‘spoiling for a fight’ and I am sure democracy will prevail. For it to have any metric though, it needs to be unlimited as right now its meaning nothing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinB said:

New toy, so someone thought they would implement it. Another site I used, decided to use it and binned it after a couple of days, I imagine this will go the same way eventually. Having seen it before I was quite surprised they had used it on a serious application.

Its the same platform currently used by RM Web forum and you haven't rubbished that.

13 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

…‘Likes’ and its effect on ‘Rep’ does indicate general agreement and appreciation of a members contribution…

For it to have any metric though, it needs to be unlimited as right now its meaning nothing. 

The problem with unlimited, for it to also retain any value, it then requires the moderators to have eyes like hawks…

I have witnessed on other (non railway) fora, as soon as the idiots realise how it works, suddenly the games begin & any value is lost!

• Thanks 1

I wasn't even aware that anyone could "like" (or dislike, presumably) any of my posts nor, truth to tell ,would I care. How does one react to or "like" a post. Is there a "like" button? The older I get the more out of touch I become with modern technology....

1 hour ago, LTSR_NSE said:

The problem with unlimited, for it to also retain any value, it then requires the moderators to have eyes like hawks…

I have witnessed on other (non railway) fora, as soon as the idiots realise how it works, suddenly the games begin & any value is lost!

Actually that’s a good point and idiots are everywhere 😳

17 minutes ago, Rod-360333 said:

The font size and contrast is difficult for elderly eyes. Could something be done about it, within the site, such as allowing a larger font to be selected when viewing?

We have noted this comment which has been made previously and passed to Hornby. R-

I think you have made your point threelink. As has been said, also more than once, the sentiment of all shapes and sizes has been passed to Hornby. Ultimately it is their business decision. R-

1 hour ago, 96RAF said:

Its the same platform currently used by RM Web forum and you haven't rubbished that.

I didn't rubbish this platform, actually I think it is ok. I was replying to the automatic issuing of badges, if you had read the posts properly you would have noticed. Now perhaps I am missing something but last time I used it about 2 hours ago RMWeb wasn't issuing badges. The only issue I have with the new forum is it updates too quickly when you tick the subject identifier , General, DCC or HM7000 and it updates without the normal flashing of the screen to indicate it has done it. There again now I know it does it, no issue. As to RMWeb, yes same package but obviously configured differently.

49 minutes ago, Rod-360333 said:

The font size and contrast is difficult for elderly eyes. Could something be done about it, within the site, such as allowing a larger font to be selected when viewing?

If you are on a phone, use your zoom feature.

If you are on a laptop / computer, go to your browser settings to change the scaling percentage.  Smaller percentage makes the type smaller, bigger percentage makes the type bigger.

Eventually, Hornby will sort this

Bee

I've made this all bold out of courtesy.  I am not shouting at you sir.  Hopefully, it is easier for you to see