Layout ideas for those with no space for a permanent oval

Moccasin

For any of the 0-6-0s, we don’t know if non-sound HM7000s will fit. And any sound versions would be way in the future with smaller MkIIs if ever. 

But you can certainly go conventional with dongle for these. 

Unless you go for major surgery, as covered in the sticky thread on the 08s. 

• Like 1

I've built my first ever baseboard - my first attempt at any kind of woodworking - measuring 1300mm x 800mm for a roundy roundy / test / run-in layout that occupies my dining room table.

The only problem is I overdid it a bit so it's quite cumbersome and heavy. I intend to build another, bigger, lighter, version at some point. Do model railways always expand to fit all available space?

I have also got a nano 'layout' though. A single strip of wood 580mm x 70mm with some straight track on it and it sits between my keyboard and mouse. It allows me to play trains while I'm in boring Zoom meetings at work :classic_biggrin:. Accidents do happen though - Flying Scotsman careers off the track and into the printer because I'm asked a question in the meeting!

I'm also using this nano layout to experiment with automatic uncoupling with magnets so that I can build another Minories  style shelf layout. Experiment 18 was a success. More experiments to follow when more magnets arrive.

It'll keep me occupied while I wait for rolling stock and Hornby announcements to arrive.

Martin

45 minutes ago, Martin-369195 said:

I've built my first ever baseboard - my first attempt at any kind of woodworking - measuring 1300mm x 800mm for a roundy roundy / test / run-in layout that occupies my dining room table.

The only problem is I overdid it a bit so it's quite cumbersome and heavy. I intend to build another, bigger, lighter, version at some point. Do model railways always expand to fit all available space?

I have also got a nano 'layout' though. A single strip of wood 580mm x 70mm with some straight track on it and it sits between my keyboard and mouse. It allows me to play trains while I'm in boring Zoom meetings at work :classic_biggrin:. Accidents do happen though - Flying Scotsman careers off the track and into the printer because I'm asked a question in the meeting!

I'm also using this nano layout to experiment with automatic uncoupling with magnets so that I can build another Minories  style shelf layout. Experiment 18 was a success. More experiments to follow when more magnets arrive.

It'll keep me occupied while I wait for rolling stock and Hornby announcements to arrive.

Martin

More info on the magnetic uncoupling experiment please! Sounds fascinating. Hope the Flying Scotsman survived its flight...!

Edited by GMD

I watched Peachy's video(s) and I purchased Dapol couplers, West Hill Wagon Works couplers, some Hornby couplers and after playing with them for a while I agree with Peachy's observations:

The Hornby couplers are cheap but you need a miniature crowbar to uncouple them manually. The Hornby uncoupler is OK but needs a hand of god.

The WHWW are better and more expensive but snap together unrealistically.

The Dapol couplings are very effective, very expensive and deliver the best, most realistic hands-free solution. But you have to hack the track so fitting them to curved track becomes an issue.

I purchased some small 1mm x 1mm circular Neodymium magnets. I also needed some extra tools - ceramic tipped tweezers are a must!

The first experiments were attempts to superglue the magnets directly to the underside of Hornby's couplers. This idea didn't work because these magnets are very small and don't have enough pulling power (0.02kg).

Next up was 2mm x 1mm magnets (0.07kg) using the Dapol couplers. This is better - not perfect - but it is working. I need to try improving the location between the rails:

image.png.fae72e6afa61ea47cd15e45d630e7cee.png

I've ordered 3mm x 2mm (0.27kg) magnets so there's another set of experiments.

I had a happy surprise result. The 1mm magnets attached to the Hornby couplers also seem to work with the 2mm magnets in the track, but the polarity has to be reversed.

What I mean by this is that with the Dapol couplers the magnets in the track need to attract the pin in the couplers whereas with the Hornby couplers the magnets in the track need to repel the magnet glued to the coupler.

The Flying Scotsman is fine. I've 'extended' the nano layout with some foam packaging in case of accidents!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Usually they expand and need ‘just a little bit more space’ 

A built in Wardrobe was preventing my layout expansion.  I say 'was' because the Wardrobe is now history.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RDS said:

A built in Wardrobe was preventing my layout expansion.  I say 'was' because the Wardrobe is now history.

This is VERY relatable!

8 hours ago, Martin-369195 said:

I purchased some small 1mm x 1mm circular Neodymium magnets. I also needed some extra tools - ceramic tipped tweezers are a must!

The first experiments were attempts to superglue the magnets directly to the underside of Hornby's couplers. This idea didn't work because these magnets are very small and don't have enough pulling power (0.02kg).

Next up was 2mm x 1mm magnets (0.07kg) using the Dapol couplers. This is better - not perfect - but it is working. I need to try improving the location between the rails:

I've ordered 3mm x 2mm (0.27kg) magnets so there's another set of experiments.

I had also got some Dapol couplings and mini round Neos, but have not got around to experimenting yet, my intentions were exactly the same 🙂

The dapol track magnets require cutting sleepers from  track in place, neos would just require some ballast clearance ! (not to mention cost less).

I would be interested to see how it progresses.

Edited by Too Tall

After much frustration, I have managed to get my 2010 Apple MacBook Air working again and installed the latest OS it can officially handle. It now has Rail Modeller Express app on it. It's a bit slow, but am still impressed that a 14 year old laptop is still working and can run a 4 year old operating system. 

A bonus now is that, like AnyRail etc, the RME app has the double straight added to the TT120 track library, which helps me keep me under the 50 element limit more easily.

It's a nice distraction from work issues. I'll hopefully break out the HST tomorrow for a little run when I'm less tired and irritable!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moccasin said:

After much frustration, I have managed to get my 2010 Apple MacBook Air working again and installed the latest OS it can officially handle. It now has Rail Modeller Express app on it. It's a bit slow, but am still impressed that a 14 year old laptop is still working and can run a 4 year old operating system. 

A bonus now is that, like AnyRail etc, the RME app has the double straight added to the TT120 track library, which helps me keep me under the 50 element limit more easily.

It's a nice distraction from work issues. I'll hopefully break out the HST tomorrow for a little run when I'm less tired and irritable!

Excellent timing - just uploaded a wee video on RME yesterday! 

Here's an attempt at a variation on the classic Minories layout with TT120 set track. Almost works on a 1ft wide x 9 ft (ish) board, although the fiddle yard doesn't - a traverser or sector plate might be an option. My adopted modular baseboard is too narrow to fit it all in. The reverse curve uses half 3rd & 4th radius pieces. The geometrical discrepancy is evident around the crossover next to the stub track. As shown, the platforms could likely accommodate a loco and 4 Mk1s or 2s. 

ScreenShot2024-03-23at09_54_26.thumb.png.bec6039bb72d323467d59e711ebb4fa0.png
  • Like 3