HM DCC App Permissions (Android) - help please

Hello all,

I'm after some help please with respect to the HM DCC App, specifically the permissons when running on Andriod (Samsung S22 mobile).

I am waiting for delivery of my Legacy Dongle, and have installed the App and granted the required permissions durign initial setup (Camera, Location and Nearby Devices).  I am trying to add my locomotives (note - all are zimo sound decoders, not HM7000 decoders, hence the legacy dongle) and configure the functions etc ready for arrival of the legacy dongle.  However, I cannot complete the 'Vehicle Image Setup'.

I am on the Locomotive Settings page (accessed via the Engine Shed).  The Vehicle Image 'window' is currently blank and states 'No Image Set' and 'To add an image tap on the Edit button'.  When I tap on the Edit button the 'Vehicle Image Setup' pop-up page appears with options to 'Take Photo', 'Import', 'Remove Image' or 'Cancel'.  When I click the Take Photo button the 'pop up' window dissapears, but nothing else happens (ie the camera is not opened)

If I click the 'Import photo' button instead I get an error stating: "Error opening photo library, Photo library permissions are disabled - please enable these in your system settings and try again."

However....

If I go to the phone Settings - Apps - HM DCC - Permissions....  I can see that the camera is allowed, but there is nothing showing relating to photos, gallery, storage etc (either in allowed or not allowed).

If I go to the phone Settings - Security and Privacy - Permission Manager - Camera...  I can see that the HM DCC app is listed under the 'Allowed only whilst in use'

If I go to the phone Settings - Security and Privacy - Permission Manager - Photos and videos...  I can see that HM DCC is not listed at all (either under allowed or not allowed)

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S22 running  Andriod version 14.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I too have the S22 but no issues similar to those you are reporting.

When the project first started, the advice was to turn on all permissions on the phone, not just the obvious ones. On mine I have allowed the following: 

IMG_2024-02-19-13-35-19-899.jpg

28 minutes ago, Stephen-1292033 said:

SteveM6,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I have now turned on all permissions as per your example.  However, I am still faced with the same problem.... 😞

Screenshot_20240219_134023_Permission controller.jpg

Screenshot_20240219_122520_HM DCC.jpg

Go to the Gallery app and enable that.

Hi 96RAF.  Thank you for the input.  However, are you able to expand on your advbice please.  I jhave been to the Gallery App (Settings - Apps - Gallery - Permissons) but there is nothing more for me to select (screenshot atached) - what is it i am supposed to enable?  Also, to me this appears to be the permissions for the Gallery App itself (as oposed to enabling the HM DCC App to acces the gallery)?   TVM

Screenshot_20240219_164924_Permission controller.jpg

The app requests permissions but these have to be enabled per app.

You have to allow location as well.

In fact allow everything then trim them back if needed until the app glitches, then turn that last one on again.

Sorry - still no joy. 

I have enabled all permissions for the HM DCC App from within the phone settings (Settings - Apps - HM DCC App info - Pwermissions) - ie Calander, Camera, Contacts, Location, Microphone, Nearby Devices - there are no other options (under 'Not Alklowed it simply states No permissions denied)

I have also now enabled all permissions within the Galery App via the same means.  And the Camera.

But still am unable to either take a photo or import a photo from the HM DCC App.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the App, and restarted the phone.  Still no joy.

The plot thickens....

I have just dug up my old Samsung Galaxy S9, running Android version 10.  I installed the HM DCC App and opened it.  I was not askled to grant any permissions.  I went via the phone settings to the App info, and enables all permissions (including camera, location and storage (this permission is not an option on the S22 / Android 14).  From the HM DCC App, Engine Shed, New Loco, Vehicle Image Setup, I can take a photo and/or import a photo.  So this appears to be working fine.

However, this still does not work on the S22 / Android 14 phone.

I have attached the HM DCC App persmissions screen shot from the S22 and a photo of the same page on the S9 for comparison...

Screenshot_20240219_172541_Permission controller.jpg

20240219_172555.jpg

20 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

Gallery is I think a Samsung App do you have Google Photos on your phone?

Hi Daedalus, thank you for replying.  I do, but as you'll see from my latest post above, it all seems to be working on my old Galaxy S9 phone running Android 10 (ie the HM DCC App can access both the camera and stored photos.  Neither of these options work from the HM DCC App on my Galaxy S22 / Android 14, despite all permissions being granted (and noting that the S9 has a permission to enable the HM DCC App to access 'storage' which the S22 doesn't, which might be significant, and both have permission for the camera enabled)

Also, If I go to the App settings for WhatsApp or Strava (via phone settings - Apps) and look at the permissions, both have permission to access 'Photos and videos' (and I can access photos and videos from both of those apps). However, when I go into the same permission for the HM DCc App, there is no option to grant permission for 'Photos and vidoes' - it's simply not there?

Of course, this doesn't explain why I can't access the camera either from the HM DCC App (permission is granted)

Hi Stephen

I've just tried this on my Samsung A34, also running Android 14. I downloaded the app some time ago on this phone but have never used it since all my locos are assigned to the iPad.

I've just tried setting up a new loco but get the same symptoms as you - if I try to import a photo it gives the 'error opening photo library', and if I try to take a photo nothing happens. My permissions screen for the app is the same as yours.

Regards, John

4 minutes ago, Britannia Builder said:

Hi Stephen

I've just tried this on my Samsung A34, also running Android 14. I downloaded the app some time ago on this phone but have never used it since all my locos are assigned to the iPad.

I've just tried setting up a new loco but get the same symptoms as you - if I try to import a photo it gives the 'error opening photo library', and if I try to take a photo nothing happens. My permissions screen for the app is the same as yours.

Regards, John

John, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to replicate this for me, and for posting the results.  I've no idea what this actually means or what to do, but I am not alone!

Given you have exactly the same symptoms on a different device, the only aspects in common appear to be the HM DCC App and the Android 14 operating system... maybe this is a result of a permissiosn mismatch between the two....

96RAF - can you advise what is the best way to higjhlight this to (a) Horby, (b) the developer or someone else....

2 minutes ago, Britannia Builder said:

Surely other users must have successfully added loco images on a modern Samsung by now. I wonder if it's a bug in the app, trying to add a photo before assigning a decoder?

Regards, John 

You would have thought so....  Ref the unassigned decoder thought....I did wonder that... however, I can do that on the S9 (Android 10).....  (for context, I donl't have any HM7000 decoders, and my legacy dongle hasn't arrived yet so I have nothing assigned within the App - just trying to build the loco profiles....

Referring back to my original response - I have the app on an S22 with all permissions enabled.

I tested loading a photo from the photo gallery to a newly created loco that was unassigned to a decoder - definitely no issue with the app so there must be a problem with the permission settings in your phone.

42 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

Referring back to my original response - I have the app on an S22 with all permissions enabled.

I tested loading a photo from the photo gallery to a newly created loco that was unassigned to a decoder - definitely no issue with the app so there must be a problem with the permission settings in your phone.

TVM.  Would you be so kind as to answer the following:

1. Can you just confirm that your S22 is running Android 14?

2. Are you able to take a photo directly from within the HM DCC App (ie access the Camera), as well as import one?

3. When you look at the App permissions for the HM DCC App (from the App manager within the phone settings), is there a permission for 'Photos and Videos'?

4. If you go to the the phone settings - security and privacy - Permission manager - Photos and Videos....  is the HM DCC App listed (either under Allowed or Not Allowed)?

TVM

Steve

Just now, Britannia Builder said:

It seems that Android 14 has only rolled out very recently on selected Samsung phones, and it has introduced some enhancements for selective access to photos, so there could just be a genuine problem here.

Regards, John 

Thanks John

When Android 14 came out there were problems with basic access, but the HM6K and HM7K apps was fettled to cater for it, including S21/22 phones Since then this is the first report of problems. 
I suggest you give customer services a call and they will run thru' the troubleshooting steps with you to check all permissions are set.

I have Android 14 on an A13 and that works fine, but A's and S's Samsung phones apparently have different firmware which may affect things.

Just now, 96RAF said:

When Android 14 came out there were problems with basic access, but the HM6K and HM7K apps was fettled to cater for it, including S21/22 phones Since then this is the first report of problems. 
I suggest you give customer services a call and they will run thru' the troubleshooting steps with you to check all permissions are set.

Thanks 96RAF - is that Hornby Customer Services?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Yes or if available then HM7000 support.

BTW, is there a way of sharing (or exporting / importing) loco profiles between devices?  Have tried searching but most threads focus on control of HM7000 decoders (whcih I'm not using).  If so, I could always create and configure the loco profiles on my old S9 and then transfer to the S22 as an interim workround....  Regards