HM DCC App Permissions (Android) - help please

Just now, 96RAF said:

You can make a custom profile and export it but where does it save it - within the app likely.

Second problem is it only saves function customisation at present not CVs tweaks.

Yep - tried that - as you say, only appears to work for the function map within the app on the device.  TVM

2 hours ago, Stephen-1292033 said:

TVM.  Would you be so kind as to answer the following:

1. Can you just confirm that your S22 is running Android 14?

2. Are you able to take a photo directly from within the HM DCC App (ie access the Camera), as well as import one?

3. When you look at the App permissions for the HM DCC App (from the App manager within the phone settings), is there a permission for 'Photos and Videos'?

4. If you go to the the phone settings - security and privacy - Permission manager - Photos and Videos....  is the HM DCC App listed (either under Allowed or Not Allowed)?

TVM

Steve

1: yes android 14

2: never tried as I have taken a photo of each loco to create a library

3. No

4: HMDCC is not shown at all

28 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

1: yes android 14

2: never tried as I have taken a photo of each loco to create a library

3. No

4: HMDCC is not shown at all

Thanks very much indeed.  All as per mine, so no idea why mine's not working.....  Of note, do you recall if you had the HM DCC App installed before the update to Android 14...just wondering if there's some kind of permission previosuly granted that remains extant despite the photo permission changes introduced in version 14....

43 minutes ago, Stephen-1292033 said:

Thanks very much indeed.  All as per mine, so no idea why mine's not working.....  Of note, do you recall if you had the HM DCC App installed before the update to Android 14...just wondering if there's some kind of permission previosuly granted that remains extant despite the photo permission changes introduced in version 14....

Yes, mine was first installed last March when we started testing. Subsequently updated to v14. Also running successfully on S9 and Lenovo M8 and M10.

Have a chat with Hornby direct via customer services

Edited by SteveM6

I'd wait till you get the dongle. From the text based tutorial.

Setup your first DCC locomotive

Firstly, ensure HM | DCC & HM7040 - First Setup has been followed and your HM7040 is connected to HM | DCC

It then goes on to talk about taking photos etc.

You certainly need to follow the first setup process before assigning any locos however you do not need the dongle to be connected to create the locos in your engine shed. This can be done within the app and then assign them later.

I have just set up 25+ from the comfort of my sofa before taking the tablet out to the shed, powered up the dongle and quickly assigned each of those locos in the engine shed to it.

But what if the App has never seen a dongle! There are so many variables and @Britannia Builder says Samsung have made changes it might be worth wating  rather than solve a problem that may not exist.

Edited by Daedalus

8 hours ago, Daedalus said:

But what if the App has never seen a dongle! There are so many variables and @Britannia Builder says Samsung have made changes it might be worth wating  rather than solve a problem that may not exist.

Thanks for the suggestion Deadalus.  Intuitively, I can't see why having the dongle connected via bluetooth should make a difference to permissions between the App and Android 14 OS, but then i'm not a software engineer!  The fact that the App works perfectly (ie I can access both the camera and the photo library from within the App) on my old Samsung S9 running Android 10, again without the dongle connected, would appear to indicate that the presence of the dongle is not relevant (as SteveM6 has proposed).  I will see what Hornby customer services has to say, but my money is on this being an issue for the app developer to have a look at (especially as BritaniaBuilder has exactly the same issues, and with all permissions granted).  I will, of course, try again once the dongle arrives!

Afternoon all,

Just to bring this to a temporary conclusion (and to inform anyone else experiencing the same issue), I have just receoved the following from Hornby:

-----------------

I’m sorry you are having trouble.

I have seen this issue before, and it required a bug fix from our app developers. I feel this is the same case with your issue.

I apologise but this may take some time to fix.

I will pass this on to our app developers to provide a fix.

-----------------------

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Hornby will be lodging a set of generic images shortly in the documents section that you will be able to save locally and import to the app for each loco. I am unsure what the original problem was now that discussion has diverged a tad.

Just now, LTSR_NSE said:

@96RAF the outstanding bug (that ETA is being requested for) is the android v14 no permissions available  to allow access to camera & photo library bug.

It must be device specific as I can do both on my v14 Samsung phone, which recently updated itself.

The issue reported above was that the bug presents if app is newly installed to a device running v14 - whereas if app is already installed & permissions granted prior to v14 update, then previous permissions are retained.

• Like 1

@96RAFI can concur this issue LTSR_NSE is describing, I had the app installed on my mobile prior to it updating to v14 and all the permission settings such as camera and file storage remained accessible. However I wanted to replace my mobile with a tablet for use of the app (wanted larger screen) which came pre-installed with v14 and this is where the issue lays, if the device is pre-loaded with v14 and never previously had the app installed then accessing the camera and file storage generates the issues described earlier in the thread.

4 minutes ago, CaNNoN_1981 said:

@96RAFI can concur this issue LTSR_NSE is describing, I had the app installed on my mobile prior to it updating to v14 and all the permission settings such as camera and file storage remained accessible. However I wanted to replace my mobile with a tablet for use of the app (wanted larger screen) which came pre-installed with v14 and this is where the issue lays, if the device is pre-loaded with v14 and never previously had the app installed then accessing the camera and file storage generates the issues described earlier in the thread.

In that case I am not sure what can be done about it. If there is no facility in the device settings to allow such permissions there is no way an app can reach in and set those.

I will pass this up the line but my feeling is there has to be a hidden menu somewhere to get at those settings.

This is where the confusion lays, some people have been suggesting to allow the permissions through the settings option on the devices yet there's no option to do this and never has been, the app in question (whether it be HM7000 or any other app) should generate the prompt to allow access to whatever it requires on first usage.

And in this case the first time I tried to take a photo with the HM7000 app on my new tablet pre-installed with v14 it prompted to allow access to the camera to which I allowed yet the camera screen did not open, and then checking the permissions within settings for the camera on the device the HM7000 is listed yet it still doesn't work after multiple attempts.

And then the other option for browsing file storage, this doesn't even prompt to allow access through the HM7000 app, it just immediately display the error of not having access, yet its the app that should be prompting for access, not the other way around of going through device settings and allow certain apps access to features within the device.

Hope that all makes sense.

Googling the problem gives varying results, but stopping the app, denying permissions, then restarting and allowing permissions seemed to be a common theme. 
see image, however there is an app fettle on the way and could be in testing with the team by next week.

This example talks to Dropbox but other examples had simply replaced Dropbox with their app in question. Maybe worth a try in the meantime.

IMG_1808.jpeg

3 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Googling the problem gives varying results, but stopping the app, denying permissions, then restarting and allowing permissions seemed to be a common theme. 
see image, however there is an app fettle on the way and could be in testing with the team by next week.

This example talks to Dropbox but other examples had simply replaced Dropbox with their app in question. Maybe worth a try in the meantime.

IMG_1808.jpeg

Will go this a go tonight, thanks for the reply @96RAF

21 minutes ago, CaNNoN_1981 said:

Will go this a go tonight, thanks for the reply @96RAF

Managed to test this while on a break and still no joy I'm afraid.

• Opened settings -> apps on the tablet
  • Force stopped the HM7000 app
  • Opened permissions and selected don't allow for the camera (file storage wasn't even listed)
  • Restarted the app and went to one of my locos, selected edit on vehicle image.
  • Clicked take photo, to which it prompted again to access the camera and I allowed this by selecting "all the time"
  • Camera didn't open
  • The import option also still displays the denied permission error, but didn't expect that one to change with this test.

So still stuck I'm afraid. 😞

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, CaNNoN_1981 said:

Managed to test this while on a break and still no joy I'm afraid.

• Opened settings -> apps on the tablet
  • Force stopped the HM7000 app
  • Opened permissions and selected don't allow for the camera (file storage wasn't even listed)
  • Restarted the app and went to one of my locos, selected edit on vehicle image.
  • Clicked take photo, to which it prompted again to access the camera and I allowed this by selecting "all the time"
  • Camera didn't open
  • The import option also still displays the denied permission error, but didn't expect that one to change with this test.

So still stuck I'm afraid. 😞

Have to wait for the fix then. Test team will report as soon as it is available to them. A couple of them on here have the problem. I am fortunate in that my update Android phone works fine.

31 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Have to wait for the fix then. Test team will report as soon as it is available to them. A couple of them on here have the problem. I am fortunate in that my update Android phone works fine.

Just good to know its on the list 👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CaNNoN_1981 said:

Just good to know its on the list 👍

They are sorting out consisting from the app at present, but this bug fix will be incorporated at the same time. Then what next - legacy accessory control by way of the dongle.

• Like 1