DCC Conversion using hornby 4 pin decoder

Hi all,

just wondering please, if there's a way of converting an old non-dcc Hornby merchant navy to run on DCC just by using a 4 pin decoder? I'm aware that I can run the loco on DCC without a decoder, but would preffer to run with a DCC chip if possible please?

18 minutes ago, Tomwilliams123 said:

Hi all,

just wondering please, if there's a way of converting an old non-dcc Hornby merchant navy to run on DCC just by using a 4 pin decoder? I'm aware that I can run the loco on DCC without a decoder, but would preffer to run with a DCC chip if possible please?

Same way as you convert any non dcc ready loco. Divorce the track pick ups from the motor and connect those 4 wires to the header you are going to wire in for the 4 pin decoder.

Do not use a 4 pin decoder, go for a 6 or 8 pin, that way you have more variety in the choice of decoders. I am assuming the Merchant Navy is the rebuilt type as it is old. You might have difficulty fitting it all into the loco body. On my old ones I put the decoder in the tender and connected it to the loco via a 4 way connector as in Hornby's later locos. If the loco doesn't have a decoder fitted it will buzz on DCC, just like putting on an AC source and as someone said eventually burn out.

Edited by ColinB

Does the old model have lights?  If not then yes all you need are 4 wires:  2 track pickup wires into the decoder and 2 wires out to the motor.  The motor must be electrically isolated from the chassis and pickups as part of converting to DCC.
As others have said, DO NOT run a plain DC loco on DCC.  Although it is a facility that's built into some systems it's something that fell out of favour probably 20 years ago.  It's really bad for small motors especially the coreless types used in some new models.   Given the price of a cheap decoder it's not worth the risk.

Edited by ntpntpntp

1 hour ago, ntpntpntp said:

Does the old model have lights?  If not then yes all you need are 4 wires:  2 track pickup wires into the decoder and 2 wires out to the motor.  The motor must be electrically isolated from the chassis and pickups as part of converting to DCC.
As others have said, DO NOT run a plain DC loco on DCC.  Although it is a facility that's built into some systems it's something that fell out of favour probably 20 years ago.  It's really bad for small motors especially the coreless types used in some new models.   Given the price of a cheap decoder it's not worth the risk.

No there are no lights on the loco, would you have a wiring diagram for this please?

The very early rebuilt Merchant Navy loco had a live chassis with a wired link to the motor from the driving wheel pick-ups on only one side so the non-wired pick-ups will have to be isolated from the chassis block and wired to the DCC socket. 

2 hours ago, Going Spare said:

The very early rebuilt Merchant Navy loco had a live chassis with a wired link to the motor from the driving wheel pick-ups on only one side so the non-wired pick-ups will have to be isolated from the chassis block and wired to the DCC socket. 

That is not too difficult. Fortunately the later bottom plate with pickups from the later ones fit and I think they are still available. Alternatively just wire to both pickups directly. Remember to file down the chassis pick up pin on the underside of the chassis. You can either take out the weight in the smokebox to make room or wire to the tender. Gets rid of that horrible tender connection but you have to file a hole on the underside of the tender to fit the 4 pin socket. That is if you want to do properly.

To be honest you can still run with the live chassis, the motor is isolated so it will still work but getting rid of the live chassis will make it run better.

Edited by ColinB

There are several Pacific chassis that use the chassis block as a wire. One pick up side is wired thru' and the other side as Colin says the other side pick ups connect to the chassis block via a pin. At the top of the block the pick up runs to one motor brush and a link wire from the chassis block runs to the other motor brush.

By using the later lower chassis plate with 2 wires and filing down the pin the conversion is much easier.

Just to let you know I have used 4 pin decoders to hard wire non DCC ready locos (but not a Merchant Navy). Indeed I actually prefer them as most of my locos do not have lights (being steam) as there are less no unused wires coming from the decoder which can take up valuable space within the locos body.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 81F said:

Just to let you know I have used 4 pin decoders to hard wire non DCC ready locos (but not a Merchant Navy). Indeed I actually prefer them as most of my locos do not have lights (being steam) as there are less no unused wires coming from the decoder which can take up valuable space within the locos body.

Well if you use the Pecket PCB that takes a 6 pin DCC decoder it takes up even less space and when you sell the loco you can easily convert it back to DC by just inserting a header. I do that with a lot of my locos where space is tight. It also only has 4 connections.

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

Well if you use the Pecket PCB that takes a 6 pin DCC decoder it takes up even less space and when you sell the loco you can easily convert it back to DC by just inserting a header. I do that with a lot of my locos where space is tight. It also only has 4 connections.

Funny you should mention that, I have a Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2T inb bits waiting to receive such a chip, although I am using a harness with a 6 pin socket rather than a Pecket PCB.