App crashes, too many dongle locos?

gilbo2

I’m slowly adding my DCC locos to the dongle, around 40 so far. Now the app is starting to crash on a 2021 iPad, iOS 17.3.1. This is particularly when I go into manage devices and select the dongle. I guess I need to flag to Hornby unless this is a known issue?

(nearly all locos have the default function map loaded)

As I've added more locos + images to the dongle (now +60), things have got steadily worse. Now, trying to select the engine shed will crash. Also, if I try to go into the track planner tab at the bottom of the screen, that will also crash.

Bottom line, I can control the locos I've added, but unable to add any more because of the crashes.

I have soft rebooted the iPad (Power+Home buttons), checked free space (20GB) but I'm unable to resolve things.

George asked me to send him a video of the problem, which I've now done. Will have to wait and see the outcome.

Just to rule out the obvious - have you ensured that all other apps are completely closed & HM|DCC is the only app running?

Device slowing down/crashing can be an indicator of it running out of memory/resources to cope with the tasks it has been asked to perform.

Crashing can also be caused by software problems - so very sensible to involve George. 👍

2 hours ago, gilbo2 said:

…I have soft rebooted the iPad (Power+Home buttons)…

Is that in addition to (or instead of) completely powering it off, waiting 30-60 secs & powering back on again?

Just in case it isn’t forcing eggs to be sucked…  sometimes tech gets in a royal tangle & a complete shutdown clears out the cobwebs!

Hello @The Last Ninja, thank you for your reply below in the bug thread as I feel this may be the route cause of my issue:

I confirm that I'm using V1.3 of the app, have added 60 locos to the dongle device (all with unique images), all assigned / active. Other than the dongle I've 5 other active TXS devices. At 40 locos Manage Devices/dongle would crash but at least the Engine Shed was still functional, but at 60, that stopped too.

It does seem related (in my opinion) to the V1.1 bug you mention, but is now showing up when adding a number of locos to the dongle device. I understand the dongle side was tested up to 127, but not sure if that was with unique images?

As things stand I am now effectively locked out of the Engine Shed and Manage Devices/dongle, as the app will crash. I therefore cannot deactivate dongle locos to get things working again.

I've pulled off the crash logs and will send over to George so the team can look at what's happening.

On a personal note, I just hope this can be resolved with an app update, otherwise I've just lost an hour or so adding those locos!

8 hours ago, LTSR_NSE said:

Is that in addition to (or instead of) completely powering it off, waiting 30-60 secs & powering back on again?

Just in case it isn’t forcing eggs to be sucked…  sometimes tech gets in a royal tangle & a complete shutdown clears out the cobwebs!

Thank you for your suggestions, all is welcome to me :classic_smile:

Yes, for iOS a soft restart / or forced restart is usually the preferred method to resolve issues, being only one step away from a full factory reset and restore, but I'm sure you've got that T shirt :classic_wink:

I have tried a normal power off and forcing closed all other apps but its not made any improvements.

Update:

By following the steps below I was able to delete some images from dongle locos:

• Tap on Control Screen. (JoyStick icon).
  • Tap on Locomotive Settings for a given locomotive.
  • Tap on Edit and remove the image.
  • Repeat this process for multiple locomotives in the Control Screen.

Once I was down to having only 35 locos with images, there were no further crashes. At least now I can add the rest of my locos, just without images, until a fix is found :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Update 2:

Having taken on board the recommendation from @The Last Ninja, I used Lightroom to reduce my images to around 100-200k in size, any smaller and there was too much digital noise present for my liking. Anyway, at that smaller size I've now got the App running at 95 images. Size does matter :classic_blink:! Much more than this though and the app does start to crash again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gilbo2 said:

Update 2:

Having taken on board the recommendation from @The Last Ninja, I used Lightroom to reduce my images to around 100-200k in size, any smaller and there was too much digital noise present for my liking. Anyway, at that smaller size I've now got the App running at 95 images. Size does matter :classic_blink:! Much more than this though and the app does start to crash again.

I know Hornby is aware of the crash and is working on it. I have all my 96 decoders on four devices to ensure they do not crash until the fix comes through from the devs. 

• Thanks 1