My TT:120 locomotives don't like the cold!

It’s pretty cold up here in Scotland and a failed central heating system means the dark recesses of the house where my locos etc are stored are pretty baltic. So when I decided to give the layout a quick exercise before the HST arrives today, I was horrified that the locos stubbornly refused to cooperate. 
My 08 shunter stuttered a few inches and refused to obey my go-faster command, the A1 likewise and the A4 was having none of it without a finger prod or two! Poor things were in hibernation. 
However, after 10 minutes or so in the warmth things improved and after a further running-in session all was back to normal.
Perhaps I need to move my collection somewhere warmer or maybe Hornby could add a new loco warmer to any forthcoming range of accessories? 

Edited by Andrew-372848

Must have missed those. Perhaps I could get my other better half to knit some - or maybe not. Trouble is if I move them somewhere warmer (airing cupboard) the lube will dry out. Never mind, they tell me Spring is round the corner! 

1 hour ago, 96RAF said:

Are they decoder fitted, in which case they may need to warm up depending how cold Baltic is. Theirvspec does not list their operating or storage limits.

Yes decoders fitted, but I don’t think the temperature will be that low! 🙂

Could be condensation on the track if the temperature is varying significantly.    I have DCC G scale locos and stock, I used to notice the running would become stuttery in the late summer evenings as the rails cooled.  It's always recommended that electronics (decoders, DCC systems) should be stored in reasonably stable conditions. 

Could well be. I’ve noticed a couple of sticking points, just a slight hesitation, which I’ve been meaning to clean. I’ll attend to that tomorrow before running in my HST and see if the running improves. Thanks.

2 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

Could be condensation on the track if the temperature is varying significantly.    I have DCC G scale locos and stock, I used to notice the running would become stuttery in the late summer evenings as the rails cooled.  It's always recommended that electronics (decoders, DCC systems) should be stored in reasonably stable conditions

Indeed. Hopefully this is just a temporary condition while the house is not adequately heated. 🙂

18 hours ago, Andrew-372848 said:

It’s pretty cold up here in Scotland and a failed central heating system means the dark recesses of the house where my locos etc are stored are pretty baltic. So when I decided to give the layout a quick exercise before the HST arrives today, I was horrified that the locos stubbornly refused to cooperate. 
My 08 shunter stuttered a few inches and refused to obey my go-faster command, the A1 likewise and the A4 was having none of it without a finger prod or two! Poor things were in hibernation. 
However, after 10 minutes or so in the warmth things improved and after a further running-in session all was back to normal.
Perhaps I need to move my collection somewhere warmer or maybe Hornby could add a new loco warmer to any forthcoming range of accessories? 

I have same question

@Andrew-372848 can you be more specific about the temperature? My layout is in my garage. I have a space heater that I crank up in the winter before I go down there otherwise the starting temperature would be about 8 - 10 C. I get it up to at least 15 C before I start running locos. 

Difficult to say, but you could feel the temperature difference when the door to the cupboard was opened, like opening the fridge. At a guess I’d say ~10 degrees centigrade. Everything felt really cold to the touch. Sorry for being so vague.