Solenoid Point Motor Pins

The pin on a (below baseboard) solenoid point motor usually have to be cut back to avoid snagging the rolling stock. I have struggled to cut these pins despite using various tools. I would like know what other modellers use to cut these very strong pins.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I use a cutting disk in a minidrill.  Must wear eye protection!  Also, mark the rod and remove the point motor before cutting - don't try to do it in situ or the heat will melt the plastic of the tiebar.

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Thanks 1

Eye protection is a must. I use a pair of cheap but sturdy side cutters then dress the end of the pin with a Dremel. As has been said  before do it slowly to avoid melting the tie rod. It's sometimes useful to have a small wet cloth to cool the pin

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all your responses. Taking point motors out to cut some pins, not many but enough, is a real pain lying on my back at 70 to do this. I tried with my Xuron rail cutters but no good.

I will take your advice and reluctantly crawl under the base boards!!!!

You'll ruin Xuron cutters, they're not designed for hardened steel.  I do have some old heavy duty cutters but as mentioned before I prefer the cutting disc method, which both cuts and allow me to de-burr and round off the end of the rod. 

Really should make the baseboards removable or on hinges so you can access underneath 🙂  I've been been building my layouts as modular / portable baseboards since the 70s, there's no way I'd ever want to be lying underneath to work on them. 
IMG_0144.thumb.JPG.0d9ebec8ecc08b534e5a0a8e5329d337.JPG

Edited by ntpntpntp