2024 Range Announcement - 9am 2nd April

I'm really pleased to see the new poducts since I'm into era 3, 4 and 5. 3 more locos, 2 more Pullmans, 2 wagons, signals and a level crossing. Would have gone for the HST set too if it had been in the Pullman blue livery.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, taunmarc88 said:

It was interesting when talking about the small decoders, it doesn’t sound like they are even able to get them working yet. I wonder if there will be a delay on them? 

I really don't understand this at all. Is it the size of the bluetooth chip specifically?

Plenty of other manufacturers have managed much much smaller decoders for years. It can't be /that/ difficult unless it is impossible to make a BT chip smaller?

Doesn't really bother me as if I stick with DCC I'm quite happy modifying them to fit like I've done with my Class 08. Although makes less sense for the J50 except to fit a stayalive since sound wouldn't be accurate in any event.

Edited by moawkwrd

I think they were saying that the larger chips need two chips (Bluetooth and standard DCC) but there’s insufficient room on the 6 pin so needs a combined chip. Might have misunderstood though.

It’s the sound element, the control element and then the BT element plus BT antenna. Component supply is still very sketchy, in a perfect world this wouldn’t be causing George the headaches it is, but the world is far from perfect especially right now. I think their honesty should be congratulated. Most companies just BS customers, they told us how it is. 

@Moccasin @Rallymatt

Both spot on, there are small 6 pin decoders with sound available but not with bluetooth. There lies the problem, you either have a combined chip for a non sound 6 pin bluetooth decoder or a bluetooth sound decoder that uses separate chips which at present won't fit on a 6 pin format. Untill the super-micro hardware items are available at reasonable cost poor old George is stymied.

19 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

@Moccasin @Rallymatt

Both spot on, there are small 6 pin decoders with sound available but not with bluetooth. There lies the problem, you either have a combined chip for a non sound 6 pin bluetooth decoder or a bluetooth sound decoder that uses separate chips which at present won't fit on a 6 pin format. Untill the super-micro hardware items are available at reasonable cost poor old George is stymied.

I think I’ll just go regular DCC decoder and dongle if they aren’t available by the time my J50 and era 5 08 turn up

6 hours ago, Mulsanne88 said:

Same

I’m going to wait until they sort out which one is early or late BR. The pictures and descriptions are swapped. Also I’m afraid I’m preordering from a retailer. Discount, combined shipping and no DHL

9 hours ago, Irishmail said:

The Peco ones are GWR lower bracket signals, the Hornby ones will be upper bracket so not competing but more complimentary to the TT:120 rage

Also are the Peco ones kits? I used the OO ones on my layout and they are very fiddly to build as operational

2 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

I think Martyn is doing a great job of driving TT:120. 
Maybe Hornby should relocate to the home of railways @Moccasin 😁 we could manage that! 

Isn’t Stephenson’s Pattern Shop still looking for a tenant?

Martyn is certainly doing a good job. Odd that we haven’t seen much of the TT120 brand manager though. 

Martyn is a dyed in the wool enthusiast as well as very professional and skilled in his role. If I was being critical, the errors that crept through today should have been identified and corrected by a competent Brand Manager and if I was TT:120 Brand manager I would have been insistent I was presenting the announcement and present for the Q&A. I’d be having open dialogue with TT:120 customers and being visible. SK got these elements spot on. 

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Martyn is a dyed in the wool enthusiast as well as very professional and skilled in his role. If I was being critical, the errors that crept through today should have been identified and corrected by a competent Brand Manager and if I was TT:120 Brand manager I would have been insistent I was presenting the announcement and present for the Q&A. I’d be having open dialogue with TT:120 customers and being visible. SK got these elements spot on. 

All very true. As I mentioned before, he told me at MRS that he had to break from his family holiday for today’s event. It was great to see George with him today-both of them are a credit to the company-but it’s telling that others weren’t visible.

8 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Does anyone do the sound files for a J50 ? I imagine not,as there are non preserved. So what would be the most similar sounding loco file that is available ?

There are lots of ‘experts’ when Hornby get something wrong so hopefully they will be able to advise in this area 😁

I’m product manager for a large Swedish industrial company but we basically have a rule that if you want to launch something, you as the product manager own it, deliver it, present it, take the questions on it (and sometimes when it goes wrong, take the flak for it 🤣). If I was brand manager for TT:120, I’d be all over it like a rash, especially right now as there is so much interest/focus. 

but then I love a camera/tv studio/microphone/photo shoot - basically anything 😂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SimonF80 said:

That wasn’t meant to sound billy big potatoes. Just that you’d think someone would want to own it and really step forward as a time to shine. 

Exactly why Simon was good at it.

Think we’ve only seen the new brand manager once?