GWR HST showing in stock

Robc058

GWR would have been privatised era, not sure any Exec livery survived into that period, the new companies were desperate to promote their brands. Still thjnk GNER livery was one of the best of the privatised eras, so classy 

• Like 1

One of the GWR HST power cars was repainted in retro blue & yellow as a one off. I'd often see that coupled with green coaches and a green power car on the other end. Other than that it was not uncommon to see a mix of green and the older purple blue however I never saw a green and swallow mix so I guess that everything in Swallow had long been repainted by the time green came along.

I'd guess if you went back a few years a mix of blue grey and swallow would have been common.

21 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

GWR would have been privatised era, not sure any Exec livery survived into that period, the new companies were desperate to promote their brands. Still thjnk GNER livery was one of the best of the privatised eras, so classy 

Although there were a few heritage repaints when the HSTs were withdrawn so it could happen ....

Agree on GNER, especially pre-red doors. I do love the new LNER livery on the 225s though - a great update to the executive livery. Hopefully we get 225s in TT120....

The standard class coach immediately after the catering coach also reads InterCity 125 (even though not all characters are legible the larger capital C & the space between word & 125 are both visible.)

Edited by LTSR_NSE

Posted (edited)

I have read that the logo evolved from Inter-City 125 through InterCity 125 to INTERCITY on later swallow liveries. The joys of modelling!

Edited by Robc058
Space
  • Like 1

That’s exactly right. Those coaches were from the pre-swallow era. The InterCity Executive livery was kind of a cross between the later Swallow and early BR Blue versions.

It was not uncommon to see HSTs with BR Blue, Executive, and Swallow liveries all mixed together in a single train in the late 1980s. Eventually, all the liveries would be standardized into Swallow as the other liveries were phased out. But privatization was looming only a few years later…

There’a the great livery debate when it comes to BR HSTs. Which one looked the best? 

1) BR Blue:

https://uk.hornby.com/products/br-class-43-hst-digital-train-pack-era-7-tt3021txsm

2) Executive:

https://uk.hornby.com/products/br-intercity-executive-class-43-hst-train-pack-era-7-sound-fitted-r30097txs

3) Swallow:

https://uk.hornby.com/products/br-intercity-executive-class-43-hst-train-pack-era-8-tt3022m

I’ll always pick BR Blue. But I’ve heard it said that the Executive livery represented a nice intermediary stage between BR Blue and Swallow. It does have a certain tastefulness to it. I suspect that we’ll see the InterCity Executive livery in TT:120 in the coming years. It’s another classic. 

I've erroneously referred to both liveries interchangeably, forgetting that true, original executive livery as the yellow extending along the lower body under the cab.

I'm sorry, it was my fault that this thread has veered off topic. Back to GWR!

When the GWR coaches come into stock, Hornby could introduce a Castle Bundle - the power car pack and 4 coaches. Perfect length for a TT model railway as the train would just about fit on the straight length of an oval mounted on a 6 foot/1800mm long board.   

Unfortunately a castle class bundle would require new coaches. The MK3s where retrofitted with sliding doors whereas these GWR MK3s have slam doors so represent an earlier time in their life. I'm sure Hornby will do this at some point considering they did in OO - after the current coach designs have been suitably milked and there are many liveries they could produce these in!

1 hour ago, PeterM67 said:

Unfortunately a castle class bundle would require new coaches. The MK3s where retrofitted with sliding doors whereas these GWR MK3s have slam doors so represent an earlier time in their life. I'm sure Hornby will do this at some point considering they did in OO - after the current coach designs have been suitably milked and there are many liveries they could produce these in!

Did they not run with slam doors for a short while until enough were converted to sliding door versions?

Not sure. I have seen photos from 2018 showing the MK3s fitted with power doors when the castle class was introduced using a small number of displaced HSTs. Possibly a slam door did slip in occasionally however I think they would have kept the best HST rolling stock for this purpose and returned the rest.