Class P2 Steam Generator

I have just purchased the new Class P2 Prince of Wales with Steam Generator fitted.

Please can somebody answer my questions, which are:-

Can the locomotive be run WITHOUT water in the steam generator?

(I ask this because I own a Triang TT-3 Boadicea with steam generator and the instructions emphasise that the locomotive must NOT be run without smoke oil as this will cause the locomotive to overheat and will destroy the generator).

Can the newly released P2 be run with water-based SMOKE OIL rather than water?

Is there a Hornby service sheet for this locomotive? If so, where can I get hold of a copy?

Typing "P2" into the search engine on this website; response is "no results found"; Is there a better way to search?

Section 3 of the instructions refers to accessories "supplied with your Class 43" - should this read "Class P2"?

Are Fig 3. and Fig 4. in the instructions the wrong way round?

Do you have any tips (or warnings) about how best (not) to operate this model, please?

I'm sure there was an 'official Hornby reply' to the same question by somebody else stating it CAN be run dry - without water - as it does not use a heating element unlike earlier models.

Others can confirm.

Hornby are famous for not proof-reading their documents.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Yes it was under the "First SS loco to be released" thread. Supposedly it can be run dry but to be safe F24 toggles it on or off, and it does work I tried it, unfortunately no in the supplied user instructions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John-1259936 said:

Can the locomotive be run WITHOUT water in the steam generator?

(I ask this because I own a Triang TT-3 Boadicea with steam generator and the instructions emphasise that the locomotive must NOT be run without smoke oil as this will cause the locomotive to overheat and will destroy the generator).

Can the newly released P2 be run with water-based SMOKE OIL rather than water?

Please understand that this new ‘steam generator’ is actually an atomiser (essentially a high-tech version of a squirty plant mister - that produces incredibly fine mist) therefore it won’t overheat (like the old Triang elements) if run dry.

As others have said it is still advisable to disable it using F24 - if you intend to do any extended dry running.

Since there is no heat involved, any smoke oil products will be completely  unsuitable - since the atomiser needs water to function correctly.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Like 1

Addition to previous post (can’t edit)…

Realised that ‘water based smoke oil’ might have been asking whether water based haze/fog solutions (propylene glycol or glycerol - used in stage/event atomisers) would be appropriate or not.

I’ve put this question to the devs & will update as/when receive a response.

• Like 1

I have asked for clarification for:

Does selecting F1 (sound) automatically toggle F24 (Steam) on. Then F24 next action is to toggle steam off. Would F24 default be better off than on mapped to F1.

For info:

CVs 211 and 212 control the volume of steam at chuff and idle. These values range from zero to max, hence users may want to rebalance the puff to chuff amounts to match their operating scenario, e.g. light engine or heavy hauling.

• Like 1

I think you mean de-ionised water. Ionised water = tap water. As I've said a couple of times now, RO water = de-ionised water = (to all intents and purposes and depending on the grade of the RO filter) distilled water. If water is being used in any environment where clogging could have a negative effect, then I would go for RO/distilled.

RO = reverse osmosis.

We use this as a generally prepared 'purified water' source in our laboratories (minerals and commodities analyses), but there are also other process involved, changing the pH, etc., ...

Conductivity is then measured routinely in the laboratory to monitor - more conductive = more ions, ...

We generally prefer <5uS/cm conductivity for routine laboratory operations - higher purity has additional processes, which we also require on some.

I'd agree that RO with distilled should provide a very decent deionised water quality (with very poor conductivity - preferred).

Al.