Production Samples of the Vossloh DE-18

This post might be a little controversial, since it could be argued this is better suited for the "Hornby International" section. But I suspect that this will be of interest to the Hornby TT:120 crowd. If not, just comment below and I'll refrain from posting anything about Arnold TT:120 in this section again. I totally get that there are rules to these forums, and I don't want to cause mayhem. Now, onto the fun stuff...

In early 2023, Hornby's Continental brand Arnold announced a brand new locomotive. They would be modeling the Vossloh DE-18 in TT. The real life prototypes are designed to be powerful and lightweight. Perfect for situations where heavier locomotives are not appropriate. Vossloh specifically designed the DE-18 to be compatible with rail standards in multiple markets. So far, its received authorization to work in Germany, Italy, and France. More authorizations are on the way, and it's expected they will soon be found all across Europe.  

Arnold has just updated their webpage with beautiful new images of these DE-18s. And they are stunning! There are separately fitted railings, highly detailed bogies, and working lights. It looks awesome. It's one of the most impressive TT locomotives I've ever seen in terms of detail.

You can take a look at these beautiful locomotives here:

https://uk.arnoldmodel.com/products/dbnorthrail-4-axle-diesel-locomotive-vossloh-de-18-grey-livery-ep-vi-hn9058?modal=-zoom

https://uk.arnoldmodel.com/products/railadventure-4-axle-diesel-locomotive-vossloh-de-18-grey-livery-ep-vi-hn9059?modal=-zoom

These locomotives are supposed to start arriving this summer. They look pretty polished, so hopefully it shouldn't be too long. Back in 2023, Arnold also announced they would be offering a train set that included these locomotives. It's currently unclear whether the set is still planned, or if it has subsequently been cancelled. The train set was to include 2 Arnold hopper wagons. 

• Like 3

My view is anything TT:120 or targeted to the scale should be here as it all goes in the mix to help people develop their layouts. I spied those lovely Arnold locos, High Fell has had to call in reinforcements from the continent already to fill in gaps! I must resist 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The price of the sound fitted variants seems odd.  They apparently have Next 18 sockets - so it would be reasonable to imagine that HM7k decoders might be used.

However if that were the case, it would be significantly cheaper to purchase the loco & decoder separately & fit it yourself.  That then suggests a different specific decoder has been used - in which case why?

Until HM DCC sound team have had chance to create files in HM DCC format, sound fitted Continental models will feature the  ESU decoders with the sound files they have already developed. The other consideration is available space in centre cab models. I have a Piko V90 that is incredibly tight on space, it will only accept a tiny Zimo PluX16 decoder, nothing else! The engine covers are very narrow. Until the smaller Gen 2 BT decoders arrive (?) this could be a decider with decoder choice even within Hornby.