What do you think of Hornby's new fragrance 'Eau de Chuff'???

I think it's exactly what Hornby needed to do to remind us that there are still Humans at this organisation and that we can all have a top chuckle now Fragrantica gave it seven Noses so my question is where can I buy a bottle of this fine Pong. LOL

• Like 1

While this was an AF I must admit to having a lot of memories coming back every time I smell Tri-ang/Hornby smoke oil. I had a pannier that had a Jinty synchrosmoke generator added to the chassis and a lot of the SH Triang locos I have have come with smoke generators which start going when the loco is tested. I do disconnect them all now but all they need is a wire re-soldering in case I sell any on. They can be quite a drain on power.  

• Like 1

50 years ago I decided the original oil was too expensive and started using neat paraffin in my Winston Churchill and Pannier tank with that infamous synchrosmoke!!

The smoke effect was pretty good, but Mum was too impressed with the smell, and also the rails became a little 'slippery', quite apart from the paraffin attacking the plastic bodies!!

Al.

Reading this thread got me thinking about how we are missing one aspect associated with Railways. Thanks to sound decoders we have the Chuff Chuf, wheels squealing, whistles  and other noises. But what about smell! Being mostly a GWR fan I would favour "eau de charbon à vapeur Gallois" (eau de Welsh stem coal)!

It was fun and good to see Hornby entering into the spirit of the occasion but as a few mentioned here and I did on the YT feed, it’s not such a crazy idea. We have the sights and sounds of the railways why not the smell? Those lucky enough to have been to the Jorvik Centre in York will know how 40 years ago ‘smells’ were introduced to recreate the sense of the Viking settlement and it’s still a massive hit with visitors. Someone posted that you can get a ‘steam engine’ scented candle …. 😁

Edited by Rallymatt