Holway Green

taunmarc88

I have started a new thread as I have just finished building a very modest baseboard to start my TT layout Holway Green. 
The name comes from the area that I live which is Holway in Taunton. There is an old road running through the estate called Holway Green which I presume was the original road through what would have once been a village but is now fully absorbed into the town. Not far from here is the former route of the Creech to Chard line so the premise is that for some reason a line was built through Holway. Although this would have had a GWR feel I will be using it to run all my locos and rolling stock and I will likely be setting the scenery in the late 50s/early 60s.

Pictures will follow when ready. I wanted to state my intent and make it official. As a few of you helpful people have pointed out… just do something and see how you go. I’ve been watching in the shadows for too long, it’s time to jump in!

• Like 10

IMG_3062.thumb.jpeg.4cd66abf1b1126070c5218168eef6a5a.jpeg

Here is my current layout of Holway Green. I don’t have any radius 1 to play with, I was thinking of putting in a bit more track at the back but otherwise the front is looking fairly good I feel. I’ve been running it today, you can pretty much only fit on the locos and rolling stock you see in the picture but that’s fine. Once the smaller locos can run in HM7000 they will make that easier. Also, the siding at the back and the one that becomes the engine shed will be where the track may extend should I add on another section in the future… that would allow a full third radius loop. (Currently only have a full second radius loop). Station will need to sit on the front left corner.

• Like 4

Great to see you have a plan down on the board and can make some progress. I can see a few places for potential extensions if it became an option but for now enjoy working with this but my thought is , don’t glue the engine shed down 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Great to see you have a plan down on the board and can make some progress. I can see a few places for potential extensions if it became an option but for now enjoy working with this but my thought is , don’t glue the engine shed down 😉

Don’t worry @Rallymatt the engine shed will be easily removed… I’ve got to keep my options open!

The goods shed is quite close to the loop. I used the small quarter straights to extend that area. What will be the longest item in TT? Mk3? I did think I might have to buy one before I make my platform or set any buildings. But I can’t afford a HST to go with it 😂.

Hmm hopefully that 800 will have a motorized pantograph and the HM7000 sound profile will automatically switch between diesel and electric as you raise and lower it. Well I can dream 😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know how far along the tracks a goods shed should be placed? Should the buffer stop be beyond it or can it be inside. I’m quite limited for space so I want to get the most out of it - also the goods shed covers up the siding behind which I will need to see for shunting operations so the further along the track the better. Pics attached show how I assume it should be. If I moved it a bit more to allow the buffer into the shed, I may be able to get the uncoupler closer to the goods shed (and I might put one on the other siding for easy operations?)

IMG_3073.thumb.jpeg.bb9bec6e0715794c9fa052d2a0938119.jpegIMG_3074.thumb.jpeg.09c071431ae858dd131b59a4352a8543.jpeg
edit: I will also have to check clearances from coaching stock if I move it 

Edited by taunmarc88

That is looking good! You want the wagon(s) in the shed for loading/unloading so a buffer stop outside would be fine.

Vehicles need to get to the other siding so a bit more clearance from the mainline would not be out of order.

A real yard would almost certainly have had a head-shunt but I do not think it possible to squeeze one in. 

Thanks for the replies, I had also thought about clearance from the main line as it would nice to have some coal staithes on the other siding.  I’ll have a play later and see if I can switch the point from a right hand to a left hand. Luckily I haven’t glued anything yet!

8 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

place the goods shed where you like

I remember being told to put it at the front of the siding so each wagon of the train could be unloaded inside. Best thing about models, you can pick them up and move them about! 😁

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve started ballasting. I haven’t decided on how and where the road will go across the tracks yet. Would those who have already done this leave a gap in the ballast or ballast and then put the road on top? I also have a bag of Buff stone I’m not using… i was wondering if this would be any good for my 60s roads? However I use it I would like to use the colour as is… I really like it. (The ballast for track is medium gray blend).IMG_3092.thumb.jpeg.2e70517f8725a5b6f0353bbc5321da4f.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.4397ba4f5ae63e90facc147c4f753265.jpg