HST dummy car lights on DCC fitted set?

Hi all,

I own both the DCC sound fitted blue/grey HST set and the DC Swallow set.

I’ve noticed that the dc set‘s dummy car‘s red lights come on as expected- but not the DCC version‘s - I can’t imagine there is a dcc chip in the dummy controlling the lights? Surely the dummy‘s lights are just dc wired?

With traditional DCC you expect to need a decoder in the dummy end set to the same address as the power car, otherwise with the DCC in the track any DC wired directional lights you'd simply get both white and red showing at the same time. If using DC track supply then you'd only get either red or white depending on the polarity in the track.
I don't have a HST set (DC or DCC) so cannot comment on what is fitted to the dummy. I'd hope it also has a decoder fitted.   I do know that with some other brands of Next18 decoders the lights for front and rear are on separate function keys (to be more prototypical) so I wonder if that's the case with these HST decoders?  

Edited by ntpntpntp

Is this any use? Its the instructions that come with the HST.

I'm a HMDCC person, so no idea for the DCC commands.

Edit to my post. I'm guessing you have added the decoder in the dummy car , to your DCC control device?

WhatsAppImage2024-02-29at10_45.31_655e00ed.thumb.jpg.1bba4cbec150406f37aaeb4a036594f5.jpg

Edited by Dodge1965

The lights in the dummy power car will be controlled by the decoder in a DCC model. Even though it’s not powered, the decoder needs to be added to the engine shed/Roster and given an address in the same way as any other loco. Select the address for the dummy power car to control things like lighting and sound individually, headlights are via F0 or light switch depending on your control system. To change between white and red will need the direction setting on the dummy power car. 
If your DCC system (not currently HM DCC) supports ‘consists’ set up the consist, with the power car and dummy on the ‘advanced’ setting and the pair will work together. Direction set for either unit will dictate colour of the other end automatically. Speed and sound will work together from either loco address but usually  things like horns/whistles normally need you to have the ‘loco’ you want that sound to come from, to be selected. 

Edited by Rallymatt

That would have been a very expensive single HM7000 decoder at £90 odd. It is of course 2 discounted decoders.

Given we are talking HM7000 decoders, and in addition to Dodge’s photo above, take a look in the HM | DCC forum where there is extensive discussion of the digital HST including its lights.

• Like 1