Hornby Elite Sensitivity

NSE456

Hello,

So I recently splashed out on a Hornby R8214 Elite controller. I would generally be quite happy with it but I'm finding it almost unusable since the global sensitivity on the dial controls seem to be rediculiously high. I am aware I can fine tune decoders so speeding up a loco can be quicker/slower, but I have found even just navigating menus I often turn the dial to where I want, and just the action of pressing down on the dial to select often registers as a turn as well. I'd like to think I have quite stable hands but no matter how I try to press the dial, it regularly registers a turn as well.

Is there anything I can do to help with this? I even find when I'm programming decoders or trying to choose locos I end up selecting the wrong option because when I press the dial it registers a turn as well and sets the wrong setting.

I suppose to add insult to injury the number pad seems to be the opposite and is not very sensitive at all. I got used to this on the Select controller but for some reason (while it does still work) the 0 in particular on my Elite is particularly opposed to registering when pressed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is this a brand new Elite? If so the buttons should certainly register clearly when pressed. the issue the the knob turning a little when being pressed is something a few people find annoying. It just requires to be done very carefully. Try doing a self-test by holding down the 'Loco' button when powering up, then release when you see 'Hornby' appear on the screen. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the fast response. It is a brand new elite, I tried running the self test and when it allowed me to test the buttons the other numbers were working perfectly but the 0 was rarely registering.

Its a shame theres nothing to tone down the dials sensitivity, but I suppose it might become easier with practice.

Given the intermittent response of one of the buttons I would contact Hornby for a replacement. That is assuming you bought it direct from them. If you bought it from another retailer then return it to them. Not sure sure there is anything to be done about the knob turning when you press to select. I think they all suffer from that to a degree.

• Like 1

The Elite teardown report on my website details replacement of the speed 'knob' encoder.

This is a rate dependant encoder, which means the faster you turn it the more output it gives. Coupled with that the click detent against turning does wear and a new encoder will have a stronger 'click' when turned.

My technique against inadvertent turning upon click is to turn the knob with finger and thumb of one hand and click with the other hand.

Reluctant buttons is a well known problem and is due to corrosion forming on the motherboard contacts from little use. Operating the button very many times will polish off any oxide and return the button to use. The self test is a handy tool when doing this as it instantly shows if the button is working or not.

• Like 1

@96RAF

But you don't expect those problems with a brand new device. Everything should just work. The issue with the encoder turning while pressing is something else. that is possibly a design problem.

Thank you for the replies. I have tried pressing the 0 button numerous times in the test mode, its tempramental, in fact at one point I got 2-3 working presses out of it in a row then nothing again for a few presses.

It is a brand new unit so I'm not comfortable pulling it apart.

I’d be the same. Call customer services and ask for a returns number (if bought direct) or your retailer if bought from a third party. They’re pretty expensive pieces of kit and should not be misbehaving when brand new. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brew Man said:

@96RAF

But you don't expect those problems with a brand new device. Everything should just work. The issue with the encoder turning while pressing is something else. that is possibly a design problem.

Correct ref everything should just work, but the encoders are bought in parts so the resistance to turn while press is a component design problem, not Hornby.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Correct ref everything should just work, but the encoders are bought in parts so the resistance to turn while press is a component design problem, not Hornby.

As an end user though I feel that shouldn't really be my concern. It was brought as a brand new unit so I'd expect all fixtures and fittings to be fine.

Edited by NSE456

Yes NSE456 you should return it, you shouldn't get this effect on a brand new unit. My Elite exhibits this behaviour but I know the rotary encoders are shot on my one and it is quite old. It is a not a very good idea to have to push the same button as the one you have just rotated, it relies too heavily on the encoder being perfect which it is not.

• Like 1