Exporting Function Maps

Alan K

I am in the process of transferring HM7000 from my general use Ipad to a dedicated Ipad. I have several locos in the engine shed setup to be controlled via the Dongle. I have created custom function maps as they have non-Hornby sound decoders fitted. That is quite laborious so I hoped to be able to use Export Function Map on Ipad 1 and Import Function Map on Ipad 2 but after exporting some of them I cannot find the Exported data. They are shown as available to be imported back into the app on Ipad 1 but that is of no use at all.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I will declare right away I'm not an Apple user anymore but...

Believe that when you export the function map, it is only stored as data within the app itself, and therefore not exportable as a seperate file to another device (so can't be "seen" your 2nd device).

Pretty sure I've seen YT tutorials of people using Apple's own backup system to do it via their Apple account. Try  Google search. Backingup the complete app is the way it worked for me on Samsung/Android (via Smart Switch) and may work for you.

On 18/04/2024 at 13:51, Alan K said:

I am in the process of transferring HM7000 from my general use Ipad to a dedicated Ipad. I have several locos in the engine shed setup to be controlled via the Dongle. I have created custom function maps as they have non-Hornby sound decoders fitted. That is quite laborious so I hoped to be able to use Export Function Map on Ipad 1 and Import Function Map on Ipad 2 but after exporting some of them I cannot find the Exported data. They are shown as available to be imported back into the app on Ipad 1 but that is of no use at all.

Any ideas?

Alan,

I recently replaced my iPad with a new one, and was expecting to spend a long time over one weekend transferring over and re-inputting the 34 locos I have, on to the new iPad.

I was however very pleasantly surprised that the Apple ‘magic’ automatic transfer process not only copied all my Apps and data over in normal course, but it also transferred the full details of my Engine Shed  and Function Maps that were in the HM7000 App too. I had no need to re-write any of the profiles or data, it was all there ready to go.

NOW, having said this, I don’t have/use the Dongle so don’t know if the non-HM7000 data (i.e the TTS loco profiles and function maps ) will similarly transfer over, so maybe someone else can comment on this aspect.  In any event good luck !

Edited by Pendragon Sailing

All such data is currently stored in the app. It is being looked at so as to be able to back-up certain app content locally on your device, similar to RM, then maybe later Hornby may be able to tie app custom data to their server so when you login from device to device it takes all the data with it.

George at Hornby said much the same - but I have to say that keeping the data within the app is not my idea of an export function. I didn't try the Apple transfer process as I didn't want to clone Ipad 1 - rather setup Ipad 2 to run just the model railway related software leaving Ipad 1 to continue running everything else. 

Nice to know the product engineer agrees with me 😃

The 'save to server' idea is to support the multi-user layout to preclude having to delink-relink, etc to move control from device to device. In the meantime 'save to files' will protect user data from say an app crash or forced reload.