Testing R3128vtank

Hi

I recently bought an R3182 tank engine with DCC decoder fitted. When I got it home it was completely "dead". Didn't react on the programming track either.

If I just want to test the motor, can I just attach two wires from a controller?

Alan

Hi, yes i got the motor unit out of the loco and disconnected the decoder connector and tested the motor. It runs perfectly. But the decoder doesn't respond to my controller while on the programming track. Is there any way of testing the decoder alone? When I bought the loco I was assured it was a good runner.

Alan

If you can read cv 8 & cv7 the values they contain can be used to find the make & model of decoder

Have you tried resetting the decoder, normally done by setting cv8 to a value of 8.  The loco would then default to address 3.  Some decoder makers need different values writing to them to perform a reset.

Decoder testers are available but these are just a sort of dummy loco really, which you connect to your controller, they don't do any actual testing.

Edited by Rog RJ

@Alanburford9101 If you do need to test the decoder you can buy decoder testers for around £40 or so from ESU. They are a very useful bit of kit IMO. LaisDCC also make one slightly cheaper but it is a clone of the ESU one, so for the small difference in price you may as well go for the genuine article.

I have tried reinserting the link to the service sheet 391 in my post above. You can find it on this website in the Support section if it is still not working. Peter's Spares has the pickup section if that is damaged and the service sheet gives the part number. Unfortunately the service sheet does not include the wiring.

Edited by dBerriff

Yes, the pick-ups need to touch the metallic part of the back of the wheels, usually the rim as the inner part of the wheel is probably plastic, and make sure they stay well away from the spokes.  The wheels can move sideways to deal with curves so make sure the pick-ups maintain contact throughout that displacement.  If you find you need to reshape any of the pick-ups, do it very gently - they are fragile.