Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

A friend called by this morning with a box of 'Railway Junk' mostly Tri-ang track much the worse for age. However in the box was a loco drive 4472 Flying Scotsman gloss finish, some minor damage but nothing that a bit of TLC can't fix. Mainly the motion bracket is broken, but I have made replacements of these in the past. No tender with it, and although I have a spare matt finish LNER tender which will do for now, but I'd like to get hold of an original glossy one if I can.

Some of the grey Standard Triang track in the box is polystyrene based which does not warp like the Cellulose Acetate stuff, so some rail swaps hopefully will give me some more Standard track for the future demonstration layouts. Also a complete early station set in fair condition just the chimneys, fences and nameboards are missing.

SWMBO was NOT amused!

• 2 weeks later...

A Wrenn Dorchester in new condition, . ....lucky to get it for £100 and it is almost mint. And its motor can be maintained and repaired!

£100 is not bad, but prices of Wrenn do fluctuate wildly. Nice buy though.  I have a Wrenn  'Clan Line' and an original Hornby Dublo 'Barnstaple' and I concur that these are powerful and sure footed. A lot to be said for diecast bodies.

I have just resurected the Margate made Loco Drive Hornby 'Flying Scotsman' when the new motion bracket arrived from East Kent models. Just need some new wheel sets from same place for the tender I have got to go with it, they run on blunt end axles, but fortunately EKM do still advertise them. The loco was a bit stiff at first, but some light oiling and a run on the rolling road has freed it up nicely.

Next job is to reconstruct the Triang motor bogie that came in the junk box. It will be a useful spare.

Two more diecasts and both Hornby-Dublo 2-rail: a lovely City of London in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition and Cardiff Castle that runs well but is in fair cosmetic condition (was cheap though). I am beginning to grow fonder and fonder of these heavy models and their sheer weight. Pity the spamcans produced by HD and Wrenn are way above my budget.

Two more diecasts and both Hornby-Dublo 2-rail: a lovely City of London in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition and Cardiff Castle that runs well but is in fair cosmetic condition (was cheap though). I am beginning to grow fonder and fonder of these heavy models and their sheer weight. Pity the spamcans produced by HD and Wrenn are way above my budget.

I was very much, and still am, a Hornby Dublo fan. The two new items in my last post on this thread are really heavy and akin to the weights of Hornby Dublo locos. I have most HD Locos in both 2 and 3 rail. I think I really must bite the bullet and have a clear out as most is just packed away now. The Liverpool shop has had a lot of 2nd hand HD and Wrenn over the past few days and still has quite a lot.

4 x Rosemary about to be renamed Eunice, Hercules, Juana & Shiela.

2 x Car No. 65, one to be renamed (renumbered?) Car No. 80.

Then all to join "old" Rosemary & The New Century Bar to make a nice 8 car rake.

Nice to see some modelling going on. With renumbering/naming

Hey guys; was just wanting to check something; last November I placed a pre-order for the LNER liveried "Rebuilt Claud Hamilton", and the page for it says it's supposed to come out next month. What I wanted to check was, how accurate do you think that will be?

Well it is hard to say, as this is what Hornby are aiming for, but my 2 concession Brits have been put back several times and are now in the Dec period ( I think that is nearly 2 years out but I may be wrong). I hate things in the delivery system at this time but every year it happens. The Crosti is due this month and has been put back several times also. So keep your fingers crossed that the Chinese makers can keep to their delivery times for Hornby.

Well it is hard to say, as this is what Hornby are aiming for, but my 2 concession Brits have been put back several times and are now in the Dec period ( I think that is nearly 2 years out but I may be wrong). I hate things in the delivery system at this time but every year it happens. The Crosti is due this month and has been put back several times also. So keep your fingers crossed that the Chinese makers can keep to their delivery times for Hornby.

Gotcha, thanks.

Two Grafar LNER coaches for £11 each from an antiques arcade in Hungerford. The bodies are slightly damaged but the rooves, buffers and bogies are OK (usually I find it's the other way round.

I've already canabalised them between my LMS, GWR panneled and plain Choc-cream coaches making these models perfect.

I have thought about putting up a bit of video somewhere, howbiman, not only of the Crab but of a few of my other similarly equipped locos. I have all the necessary equipment and will certainly have a think about it. Watch this space for any future links. Yes, it's a pity the forum doesn't accommodate videos itself.