Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Email advises the rebuilt W1 has been delivered - to work, so I'll see her after the New Year.

This is a photo of 'model railway locomotive and carriage' I purchased for my 11 yo - a 2,000+ 'Lego but not Lego' kit.

It's radio controlled, is a pretty decent looking model - poor stickers or not - needed to space the cylinders to limit interference with the rods, but has working lights, and 'smoke' - atomises water from the chimney!

The coach has 3 opening doors each side as well!

They're both obviously a 'larger scale' to the normal Lego over-narrow railways.

Quite a demanding model, and doesn't negotiate standard 40cm radius Lego track, so I'll be purchasing larger radius aftermarket tracks. Standard is like R1 in Hornby.

forum_image_658f00215a296.thumb.png.45fb3e5a9eee7edd4f0110909255f5c3.png

Others are available - sort-of Scotsman, Big Boy, etc ... !!

Al.

They look nothing like the Lego trains I had as a child. Battery powered and blue rails. They took a lot of room up as I had a lot as there were a couple of clearance shops in Bolton that sold ex-shop stock off cheaply and were a great source of cheap rails and discontinued rolling stock kits. I recently sold off what was left after clearing out the attic and finding that my kids had destroyed most of it so someone is still collecting it.

I went to the Bolton Swapmeet (or Toy and Train fair as they are called nowadays) yesterday and came back with an interesting haul.

From a 50p box, Nellie body with all steps intact, Hornby silver seal ringfield motor with front plate missing (works, fine, tested with another plate) ready to make a full one up with a burned out one I have somewhere. All gears intact. Tri-ang top tank clockwork loco bought for spares, turned out to be a very good runner so the mechanism might find its way into another loco.

Triang odd coloured wagon from a clockwork set to add to my others!

Five Trix wagons, four of which were 16t steel mineral wagons which although slightly larger than the Tri-ang ones look very well with them and ready for Tri-ang couplings to be fitted. They are the later painted and lettered versions rather than the early self coloured plastic ones. They look huge next to the HO Trix Tank loco I have.

Bachmann ex-Thomas green Billy bought for the chassis but I can’t work out how to get it out of the loco yet!

All bought for very reasonable prices, especially those from the 50p box. Happy days.

Sounds like you had fun!

WATB, yes, that'll be loco+tender+coach.

It does need larger radius curves to work properly - sounds familiar - but otherwise not a bad effort.

My son left me to do the coach roof - too repetitive with too many small pieces!

I had to fine tune the cylinders and piston rods to limit 'interference' (and frequency of self destruction) but otherwise very impressive.

Al.

How does the Sharpe track cleaning wagon handle points? I’m looking to invest in one but I know some get stuck or have difficulty on points.

They're OK going forward, but I find mine derails quite easily when being pushed, and not only over points either. BTW, you put 'Sharpe' but its 'Sharge'.

BTW 60700 I received is DCC converted, with blanking plug included.

That lottery win requirement to convert the 100 or so DC locomotives I have is still but a distant spec on the horizon ... don't know which planet either!

I'll convert her back to DC and have her running this evening. Didn't accept the 'battery test' so can't be on a 'default setting' - never mind.

Loco is perfect. The anticipated chimney issue is Hornby's mounting onto the body.

Al.

I’ve been collecting the Minitrix 4 wheel sliding door vans recently. Previously I only had one of these and 10 of the classic Roco models of a different type of van, which are not such reliable runners, especially when shunting. 

Rebuilt W1 60700 now lightly lubed, nuts checked, run in at least 30 minutes each way inverted running 'very light'.

Tie bar has the option hole for 'close coupling' but is yet another Hornby locomotive which cannot use this option as there's nowhere for the bar to go into the pony truck / rear bogie.

This is the same as with Sir William Stanier - no adjustment possible for display purposes or perhaps operation.

I have a recent 46225 Duchess of Gloucester in early rebuilt condition, in blue - this can be close coupled, and can operate whilst close coupled without issue.

W1 has had a little weight added into the locomotive body and quite a bit into the tender - both respectively 425g and 170g. I like a 'full fat express locomotive' to have a reasonable weight and hate the hyperlight tenders we get sometimes. Detailing has now been added, together with locomotive crew in the large real estate which is the Rebuilt W1 cab!

She runs very smoothly and very well, and looks very elegant.

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Always wanted one of these, but the price always seemed high. It was in the Christmas sale, so, why not.

I was surprised at how much metal is on this little thing. The chassis and the entire lower section is metal, the only plastic seems to be the cab, front and rear hood, hand rails, and the side guards.

forum_image_65a7f0abe84ff.thumb.png.ee1c2d0fc4c1cbd65fe02fbd8a62bb82.png