Arc Pro

ray_lego

simple economics of xmas aka get the new big money first over less from regulars willing to wait wait wait

the arc pro set is actually a good deal if you price out the digital parts making the nondigital track free while  adding enough to cover free shipping aka get free flashlight if you buy the batteries

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its Here! Its Here!

After years of talk and nearly 11 months of pre-order, my ARC Pro base arrived.  I quickly powered it up on my track and was racing!

In the limited testing I've done, it seems great.  I did need to clean my track as it was very stuttery (in digital - analog not so much) but we've always known that digital is very sensitive to dirty track ;)  A quick wipe with INOX and we're good.

Had a quick race with my boy.  Lots to try, and I'm sure the 3rd party possibilities on the software/RMS side have yet to even be explored but I think I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the set on Monday, I went for the whole kit.  Unfortunately, had to send it back (problems with shorting).  When it did work it was great fun.  Hornby customer services and technical support have been really good, however I won’t get the replacement until next week, which is rather frustrating.

• 1 month later...

Very disappointed in my ARC Pro, slipped it into my digital track that works fine with my 6 car powerbase, and the ARC Pro constantly shorts out.  Haven't been able to get one car to calibrate or make it even one lap around.  

Hopefully you haven't used both powerbases at the same time! My hunch is that in your existing layout you have one or more from this list: curved lane-changer, power taps, an odd number of Racing Crossovers or pit lane pieces creating a single-lane chicane. The ARC Pro powerbase requires the two lanes to remain electrically isolated, so any of the above will short out the base. There's more on a forum thread here - including various clever workarounds for each of those issues.

My son bought me the ARC Pro for me (the dad) for Christmas, and I just got home to Alaska, and took it out of the box last night, and replaced my 6 car digital powerbase with the ARC Pro.  The ARC Pro alwasy shorted.  I have 2 straight lane changes and 4 curved lane changers.  I also have two sets of scalextric jumper cables in the track.  I took out the jumper cables, and still could never get the car to even make it around the track without the base going into short circuit mode.  Finally, I built myself just a simple oval track, put the ARC Pro in, the track has only 8 Radius 2 curves, and two pit lane digital switch tracks,  I was finally able to get a car to go around the track after calibrating, but the brake button AND the ditgital switch button on the controller on BOTH hand controllers don't work. I even reset the controllers according to the instructions.  What is going on?

Very disappointed in my ARC Pro, slipped it into my digital track that works fine with my 6 car powerbase, and the ARC Pro constantly shorts out.  Haven't been able to get one car to calibrate or make it even one lap around.  

Hopefully you haven't used both powerbases at the same time! My hunch is that in your existing layout you have one or more from this list: curved lane-changer, power taps, an odd number of Racing Crossovers or pit lane pieces creating a single-lane chicane. The ARC Pro powerbase requires the two lanes to remain electrically isolated, so any of the above will short out the base. There's more on a forum thread here - including various clever workarounds for each of those issues.

Ok, I talked to Tony this morning at Hornby in Seattle, and he told me that ARC Pro can't use my 4 turn lane changers, and I can't use the "power taps, but I built a very simple short track, just 8 r 4 Radius curves, and the ARC Pro, and the two pit lane digitial switch tracks (one on the outside lane, one on the inside lane)--and the digital button, nor the brake button won't work.  Also, how can you do longer tracks with the ARC Pro digital without using power taps about every 10 feet of track?  

I am only using the new ARC pro powerbase, and two controllers.

There is a lot going on with ARC Pro when you put it in an existing digital layout, so setting up the small oval is a sensible move. Tony in Seattle is wise to suggest no jumpers for now - you can use them, but a working configuration in your digital might cause shorts in ARC Pro. It's probably best to start from scratch once you have everything else working. Like with the curved lane changers, it's very possible to modify your layout or the lane changer to get everything to work (see the link I gave earlier). But, at the moment, you're not sure your ARC pro unit is working properly...

To test if your ARC Pro powerbase and controllers are working, I'd make your very simple oval even more simple - just one straight lane changer (forget the pit lanes for now). Also check the powerbase is in ARC Pro mode, not ARC Air mode (use the switch on the side of the powerbase) - the App will tell you in the top right hand corner of the screen whether it's connected to Pro or Air. The lane change button won't work with Air, but the brake button should.

The controllers need decent alkaline AA batteries in them. If the charge goes down, you may lose some of the functionality, so keep an eye on that. It is worth working through the instructions to bind the controllers and ID the cars. I've come from using the 6-car powerbase and the whole ARC Pro process does take some learning and getting used to. When you add more than two controllers, there's an extra layer of complexity. But it is worth it.

Hopefully you can get to test as many of your digital cars as you can with the two controllers and see what is working and what isn't. And continue to chat to Tony at Hornby in Seattle as I guess he is the guy to send you replacements if it seems like something is definitely faulty.

Good luck!

There is a lot going on with ARC Pro when you put it in an existing digital layout, so setting up the small oval is a sensible move. Tony in Seattle is wise to suggest no jumpers for now - you can use them, but a working configuration in your digital might cause shorts in ARC Pro. It's probably best to start from scratch once you have everything else working. Like with the curved lane changers, it's very possible to modify your layout or the lane changer to get everything to work (see the link I gave earlier). But, at the moment, you're not sure your ARC pro unit is working properly...

To test if your ARC Pro powerbase and controllers are working, I'd make your very simple oval even more simple - just one straight lane changer (forget the pit lanes for now). Also check the powerbase is in ARC Pro mode, not ARC Air mode (use the switch on the side of the powerbase) - the App will tell you in the top right hand corner of the screen whether it's connected to Pro or Air. The lane change button won't work with Air, but the brake button should.

The controllers need decent alkaline AA batteries in them. If the charge goes down, you may lose some of the functionality, so keep an eye on that. It is worth working through the instructions to bind the controllers and ID the cars. I've come from using the 6-car powerbase and the whole ARC Pro process does take some learning and getting used to. When you add more than two controllers, there's an extra layer of complexity. But it is worth it.

Hopefully you can get to test as many of your digital cars as you can with the two controllers and see what is working and what isn't. And continue to chat to Tony at Hornby in Seattle as I guess he is the guy to send you replacements if it seems like something is definitely faulty.

Good luck!

OK, I will strart from scratch.  Thanks for your time in answering my posts and my questions.  David 

Archived