Airfix 1/600 HMS Nelson

Ratch

• 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I must admit to having not being such a fan of the Rodney and Nelson due to their cut down appearance and slow speed, but now I have looked at the 1:600 model parts, and pictures of a 1:200 Trumpeter kit for comparison and detail, they're definitely growing on me.

I will have to order the photo etch for Nelson, but in the meantime I've started removing and replacing the 1 mm thick breakwaters with thinner styrene sheet. This will probably be a slow burning project as I'd like to replace all the gun position and bridge bulwarks and shields for the same reason, 1 mm thick is way too clunky and equates to 2 feet thick walls in actual size.

There is a ton more detail that can be added to the decks but for once I will try to build and paint these tiny parts mostly separately, and then glue them on once the decks are painted. This will reduce the amount of masking needed on a highly detailed deck, such as on the KGV model, so maybe the relatively sparse detail currently on the decks will end up being an advantage.forum_image_61c258b5cb79e.thumb.png.7a192482ffde5cf703f02ce7e5c6935a.png

Beautiful work. I see you've added some pillars in the bridge openings which is nice. Interesting to see that you haven't included the bridge windows in the forward surface of the superstructure, which apparently the ship did have, and is depicted on the box art but not on the actual model. I suspect the forward flat surface might be a little too narrow, and I'm thinking of a 0.5 mm insert to give it slightly more width.

As I mentioned, I'm looking at a 1:200 model featured in the 2018 modelwarships gallery made by one of the gun modelers. It's a really easy way of researching detail as the pictures are clear and from all the angles you could ask for. But I'd be happy with yours!! Maybe I should waterline too as then I won't have to add the yet again missing bilge keels. However all my other models are full hull, so will probably stick with that approach for now.

Beautiful work. I see you've added some pillars in the bridge openings which is nice. Interesting to see that you haven't included the bridge windows in the forward surface of the superstructure, which apparently the ship did have, and is depicted on the box art but not on the actual model. I suspect the forward flat surface might be a little too narrow, and I'm thinking of a 0.5 mm insert to give it slightly more width.
As I mentioned, I'm looking at a 1:200 model featured in the 2018 modelwarships gallery made by one of the gun modelers. It's a really easy way of researching detail as the pictures are clear and from all the angles you could ask for. But I'd be happy with yours!! Maybe I should waterline too as then I won't have to add the yet again missing bilge keels. However all my other models are full hull, so will probably stick with that approach for now.

Don't read too much into my build. I mostly used a four page colour foldout (Plan and Elevation) from a book called the Encyclopedia of the World's Warships. It was a very detailed large scale drawing ...circa 1:350 but I didn't delve deeply into the info available on-line. I'm sure yours is going to be better!

A rough attempt at etching in some hull plating lines has been made. I think the tools will need upgrading for next time. Not sure how well it will show after painting but hopefully a light wash will accentuate the lines. I was going to paint the deck first and then add the extra detail, of which a lot is needed, but I may go back to the usual plan of gluing on all the small vents, cabinets etc.... then masking off or hand painting around them.

There are at least 20 Carey floats needed. I'll have a go at scratch building as I can't see them on the PE advertisement and even if they were there they'd be pretty flat. I've built a template to bend some thin copper wire into shape for the buoyancy chamber, and either paper or thin styrene will be glued on to that as a base. I'm looking enviously at later models like KGV and Belfast that already have them.

A slow and tedious mission is to attempt to get the first level superstructure deck perfectly flush with the superstructure wall, so that there is no hint of over-hang or recess. It's a common problem with these older models, and for a really good finish the full height of the superstructure walls should be as flush and flat as possible.

Initial thoughts are that this isn't a bad model for one of the older ones, has lots of interesting features, and they will only be enhanced by PE and more scratch built detail. As always the superstructure walls are mostly devoid of detail and we'll fix that as we go. You'll note the bulwarks of the open bridge and on the walk ways at conning tower level have been replaced with thin styrene more in keeping with the scale. The shields around the aft AA positions have been removed, and once I'm finished sanding and filing the superstructure walls I'll fit their replacements too.forum_image_61cd1355431ff.thumb.png.8098bcaa6c460e24fa82bcf24ea682f6.png

• 2 weeks later...

Work in progress. Funnel assembly has been detailed, hull is basically complete, including with bilge keels added, and the hull plating lines have been etched but a little hard to see in this photo, and since this photo was taken a start has been made on adding detail to the very plain superstructure walls, such as ducts, hatches, port holes, and Carley Floats. Rest of the main deck from C turret aft needs to be detailed. Awaiting the WEM PE set. All over-thick bulwarks have been replaced and a few weapon platforms without shields will need to have them fitted. Main turrets have had front faces replaced, range finder arms fitted, and 4.7 inch AA mounts have been improved. forum_image_61df483b04c3d.thumb.png.2955148f640007a9b529e526b9e9b1d5.png

Some of the additional detail added to the superstructure walls. The key to doing this well is to ensure there is no sign of the 1 mm thick "deck" layer on top of the first level of superstructure, so lots of filling and sanding required, otherwise that very noticeable over-hang or recess is visible. All very rough at this stage, the paint job needs a tidy up, and more deck detail needs to be added, however the extra detail, while not hard to add, really improves the overall impression. With PE added, and a decent paint job, this should start looking quite good.forum_image_61dfd9587ff1c.thumb.png.63fa2a19cca032c45c5c82b3b648a5ff.png

A slightly messy shot due to starting the main deck coats without masking, with main deck detailing complete apart from open boats stowed behind the forward breakwater, and the large lattice deck crane to be completed once the PE set arrives. Rather unusual even for an older Airfix kit is the fact there were no bollards or fair-leads. It did mean they could be placed clear of the PE railing line though. I have cut the locating pins off the boats and will build some small cradles for them. Humbrol Matt 94 is the base coat for the deck. I will try dry brushing a light streaky top coat of Satin 71 along the plank lines, which is the colour they usually recommend for wooden decks. It tends to look a bit too clean, so I'll try this approach, forum_image_61e9d3d5b0378.thumb.png.181410716b7c7cb1628b0b77e0a3505f.pngwith dry brushing Matt black across the line to highlight the raised caulking.

The WEM PE for HMS Nelson/Rodney has arrived. Some of this is going to be very fiddly. The 8 Barrel Pompom is shown below along with the original. The 20 mm are absolutely tiny and if you want to knock yourself out there are over 50 that can be made and fitted. The WEM instruction sheets provide quite a good plan of their locations, but I'm not keen on doing that many. I suspect some of them at least will fall victim to the carpet monster as microscopic parts fly out of the tweezers.forum_image_61eb6127e86bf.thumb.png.ab2b16e96bc9c2bb3ac69ba698bf000e.png

Dry fit of parts so far including fore deck detail and some PE weapons. Just a few more weapon positions require shields fitted, such as mid-ship Pompoms. Mixed feelings on the PE Pompoms and Bofors as they don't look as accurate as they could be, however they still add that extra level of fine detail over the originals.forum_image_61f0469f21b15.thumb.png.ca6f3459849e242ecd201dec2c31c407.png

• 1 month later...

Some progress after a bit of a delay. Still to finish and fit ship's boats, hand railing, a light AA gallery, and the large deck crane on the port side of the superstructure. Should be complete soon and I'll try and get some nice pics of the completed model in decent light.forum_image_62358730e16d4.thumb.png.bf5b118376ba5530eb22ab6d556df402.png

Very nice build KiwiKev. Sure looks the part! What's your next one going to be?

I've got a half finished 1/600 Rommel being modeled as HMAS Perth, so really need to get back to that. Repulse is in the stash and looks quite good. Then there's KGV which even OOB looks more detailed than my finished Nelson, and in fact it seems to compare very well even to current models, so would be nice to do something that requires a little less scratch building for a change!!!