Railmaster Activation Problems

hi there 

hoping someone can save my hair as I'm pull it out at the moment. I bought an elink and Railmaster Software today installed in and it works fine in evaluation mode. When I come to register it all I get is a message saying that it is unable to  enter resource 12029 can anyone suggest something apart from chucking it all out the window. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomaso, as this is your first post welcome to the forum.

This question has been asked so many times that a couple of locked threads have been created with stock answers. The error is almost certainly related to your security software (firewall and/or anti-virus) blocking communication between RM and the registration servers. Review and implement the contents of the 'security.pdf' user guide installed as part of the RM installation in the RailMaster folder, regarding the creation of exceptions in the firewall and anti-virus configurations.

If after following the documented security.pdf guidance you still have activation problems, then read through the two locked threads at the top of the RailMaster section of this forum. The ones with the little padlock icons to the left of the topic description.

Should you happen to be using McAfee anti-virus then note that this security product is just too agressive in the way it works. You may have to replace it with another more tolerant product that suits RM better. McAfee is known to be a problem with RM. Refer to the suggested documentation for more details.

Hi Tomaso, my welcome to the forums too.

I agree that Chris is spot on and it will be your AV causing the problem.  The simple thing to do to fix it first up is to turn your AV right off while you activate.  Then can I suggest you take a quick look through the series of setup questions in the second locked thread Chris mentioned to ensure you haven't missed anything.

Hi there

guess what I'm going insane here having spent £87:00 for an Elink and Railmaster it's useless unless i can register the software. I have tried both the stuff which Chrisaf suggested and Fishmanoz but to no avail. Still getting the response " Unable to enter resource 12029" . Can someone explain what this means as its driving me insane. I have tried it on a windows 8.1 software computer and also a Windows Vista Home Premium software computer. I have turned of Firewall, Anti Virus and every other program that I could find. I have also given all the permissions as shown in the various PDFs that I have been told to read and act upon. It's so bad that I'm really getting totally fed up with the whole system and will go back to Lenz and Traincontroller as its easier and simple to register. Please, please, please helllllllllllpppppppp

kind regards

Tom

Hi there

guess what I'm going insane here having spent £87:00 for an Elink and Railmaster it's useless unless i can register the software. I have tried both the stuff which Chrisaf suggested and Fishmanoz but to no avail. Still getting the response " Unable to enter resource 12029" . Can someone explain what this means as its driving me insane. I have tried it on a windows 8.1 software computer and also a Windows Vista Home Premium software computer. I have turned of Firewall, Anti Virus and every other program that I could find. I have also given all the permissions as shown in the various PDFs that I have been told to read and act upon. It's so bad that I'm really getting totally fed up with the whole system and will go back to Lenz and Traincontroller as its easier and simple to register. Please, please, please helllllllllllpppppppp

kind regards

Tom

Error "unable to  enter resource 12029" is a Windows unable to access Internet error code. If you are using wi-fi try connecting your Laptop to your router via an RJ45 cable direct and try again. I found on Windows 8.1 that I had to tell my Wi-fi interface configuration that my connection was an 'un-metered' connection else it was blocked. This shouldn't be an issue on Vista though, so it is strange that you are getting the same problem on Vista too.

Don't forget that your Router may have a firewall built in too as well as your PC. You may have to check your router firewall configuration to make sure RailMaster is not being blocked by the router.

Would be helpful to the Network gurus here if you could say which ISP you are using for Internet and Router model. What AV product are you using?

Note: Because of the way TCP/IP (Internet Network Protocol) works, just because your Internet Browser for example can access the Internet via the router, does not automatically mean that RailMaster can too. It should be able to, but something is obviously blocking it, it is most likely a network configuration issue somewhere in the communication path and since you state it is the same on W8 and Vista, this points to your router.

If all else fails, contact HRMS for support. Off hand I can't remember their e-mail address. Can someone else post mail address as Tom probably won't be able to use the inbuilt HRMS support request function if he can't access Internet from within RM.

More info https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/193625

Use this repair tool at your risk. I cannot vouch for site as have not used it before. It looks genuine.

Tom

When you do sort this out you will realise that it was your system that was causing the problem.  There are many many members on here using RailMaster very successfully.  Some have had problems getting started but the cause has always been their own system.  If you still cannot get it working by working Step by Step though the information on this site, then contact Hornby RailMaster Support Directly.  In a number of cases they have actually logged onto the members PC remotely and sorted it out but without doubt it will be your system that is causing the problem.

Tomaso, hi, ring Mark Lodge, on 01843/233/525. Only talk to mark, if not their, leave your number, he always rings back. This is NOT, Hornby Railmaster Support,  who will not take phone calls, and who work by email, etc. Mark will be able to talk you through installation, while you do it, over the phone. He has personally assisted me, and many others, to get started. If in the unlikely event of him failing to help, he can contact Hornby Railmaster Support. I think you will be happy, with the result. It will be something very simple, to do with your system, not a hornby fault. It always is. john

Hi there

kind regards

Tom

Hi Guys

thanks for the offer of help the ISP I'm using is BT and the Router is the BT Home hub 3  the Antii - Virus is just Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall. How can I check the router settings?. Please.

To access a BT Home Hub 3 click this link http://bthomehub.home/ click 'Advanced Settings' tab, then you will be prompted to enter the Admin password printed on the router label. This will give you access to the router configuration. However, the Home Hub 3 has limited user configuration options. Your best bet is probably following John's (yelrow) advice and contact Mark Lodge. If the solution involves modifying your router configuration he should be able to talk you through it, if John's glowing reference of his help is true.

Note for others....the link above will only work for those users who have a BT Home Hub as their ISP router. If no BT HH present then link will return a 404 error code.

If successful, please report back final solution for the benefit of others here....thank you.

What Hairy forgot to add, was that if you download the latest version from his link. You still use the same activation key associated with your purchased Railmaster CD. You don't get a different key with the download. The valid 'keys' are held in the HRMS server database not in the RM installation files.

I have a HH3 and it has nothing to do with it. When I had a problem with activation a few months back I followed all the advice available then includung ditching McAfee etc. In the end I contacted HMRS who logged into my computer. I watched everything he did checking my AV and FW etc. The only things he did was to delete my com port and make a change in the RM ini file. The com port re-installed itself and everything was hunky dory after that and has worked ever since.

I'm not saying do what he did because your problem will probably be different. What I am saying is these guys are doing this all day every day and they know what they are doing. Get in touch and they will have you up and running in minutes.

John's suggestion to ring Mark, who is the HCC manager, will work, but if you don't want to ring, you can email HRMS (also known as RM Support).  The standard way to do this is from the facility in the Help window of RM, but given the activation problem, this won't work either.  You can try but, if you don't get an immediate automatic acknowledgement, it hasn't worked.

But nothing lost, just email them at support@rail-master.com and make sure you include the hyphen. They'll start by asking you a heap of questions that you've already found out about in those 2 locked threads.  If none of those answers fixes it, then they'll log into your computer for you and they will fix it.

Don't despair, it will get fixed.

Hi everyone

sorry tried all the suggestions and many thanks for those. I am going to contact Mark Lodge again to see if he can sort the issues out for me as I want to upgrade to pro version when I can activate this copy so that I can use the extra benefits. I will get back to you all when I have the issue sorted but in the meantime if anyone can give me other suggestions apart from chucking the whole lot in the bin I would be very thankful. Anyone got any idea why Hornby have made it so hard to activate Railmaster as I have used many other software products with no problems. It seems that the issue is either the servers trying to access your hard drive.

kind regards

Tom

Tomaso, hi, you need to get the idea that the problem, is a hornby one, out of your head. If it was the case, they would have been inundated with complaints, as would we. A lot of it is down to our machines, whats in them, how they are set up, and what anti virus. In my case, it was down to my location, in france, and a french laptop. You need to remember the size of hornby, compared with people like microsoft. It is a super product, but certain laptops, have usb port problems, with it, as do certain anti virus systems. It has not been helped by the problems of windows 8. Mark is your man. john

Tom

Rather than go insane, please just contact our team at support@rail-master.com and we can help you activate.  In 99.99% of cases antivirus/firewall software is to blame for preventing RailMaster activation and simply adding RailMaster correctly as a full exception (we stress "correctly") stops the problem.  In very rare cases (we believe just two or three) McAfee in particular has still been blocking RailMaster even when the program has been added as an exception and only uninstalling McAfee has sorted the issue.  We wrote the Internet Secutry guide which shows you how to add RailMaster correctly to the majority of antivirus packages available.

Also in very rare cases a router can be blocking the secure channel used by RailMaster for activation Help Requests, orders and deactivation.  Having said that this is usually as a result of a user having altered the router's settings as we have never seen a router which blocks the protocol used out-of-the-box.

If necessary, we can log into your PC remotely and perform a manual activation, which takes just a couple of minutes.  Interestingly, on most occasions when logging in to perform a manual activation we have in fact found that the customer has not actually added RailMaster correcly as an exception to their firewall/anticirus, did not realise that they in fact had a second antivirus program running or had not installed or set RailMaster to run with administrator rights.

If you contact us we can resolve this for you quickly and simply and we would urge any other users to do the same if they run into difficulties that cannot be answered after spending some time asking questions on this forum.

There you are Tom, HRMS have provided you with an email address.  

Just contact them and let them sort it out for you.  Then tell us which aspect of your system was causing the problem.

Hi Guys

can you help please, I've been contacted by support@rail-master.com and been told to download the set-up file for TeamViewer which I have done. I've now got  an ID and Password do I email this back to support@rail-master.com then wait for them to take control of my computer or what should I do with these details.

many thanks

Tom

I think you may have to run the setup file and it will probably ask you to input the login/pw.

Others who have actually needed to do this may be able to confirm for you, or as you are in contact with HRMS they are the ideal people to ask.

Hi everyone

First of all thanks to everyone who has contacted me with help over the past few days. Someone from support@rail-master.com contacted me and I'm great full to them as well. After a few minutes of checking my system that person decide that due to the issues with my system / router which is a BthomeHub3 it was easier just to manually input my registration code so that I could use Railmaster which is great now so no more moaning. I am now waiting to find out from support how to upgrade to Railmaster Pro without being able to do it through the program. I believe it's another session with support taking over my computer again. 

Can an someone who has had this problem tell me if I need to contact anyone else to sort out paying for the upgrade or will support sort this out for me. Once again many thanks for the help and assistance and sorry for being a frustrated prat but heyho!We all go through this at times in our life.

At 63 I should know better my only excuse is that I'm also waiting to become a Great Grandfather for the first time and I'm just hoping that both my Granddaughter and her son/ daughter are both well many thanks for bearing with me.

kind regards

Tom

Glad you are sorted out Tom. Congrats for the little one.

Why not just give upgrading a go from within RM and see if it goes through. If  not then I'm sure HRMS could take your payment over the phone just like any other merchant.

You then have the task of finding out where to input the Pro code - which I already posted on this forum somewhere. I'll put you out of your misery though - from memory -  its on the Settings screen but on the loco detection tab not the controller tab..