Railmaster Activation Problems

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for completeness of information Tom, when support logged onto your PC was it the Win 8 or the Vista one?

What brand is the PC (some brands seem to get reported as problematic more often than others)?

I can understand them not being able to do a proper fix on the Win 8 one (there seem to be more instances of insurmountable issues reported with Win 8), but Vista doesn't normally throw up such severe problems.

Ideally you will need to get support to delve deeper into your PC and provide a proper fix else you will be always encountering server communicating issues. You have already found the first one, upgrading to ProPack. But there are others such as:

• Auto RM updating (without this working properly you will need to constantly monitor this forum to find out when fixes and updates are available and install them manually).
  • Integrated problem reporting.
  • Future Activation & ProPack code management (for example if you want to move RM to a different PC, or uninstall it temporarily for any reason, perhaps to do a clean software rebuild).

Hi Chrisaff

It was the Vista version of Windows on an Advent Laptop. I thought the same about support needing to sort out the problem properly just as you did because I knew that it was going to create further problems especially as now when trying to purchase the Pro version. I was just glad to be able to use the program.

Will certainly get back to them to sort the issue out.

Glad you are sorted out Tom.  We have recognised on here regularly the excellent round the clock support provided by the team at HRMS.  I don't know whether they could accept payment for the Pro version though.  If I remember correctly when I upgraded, I purchased the product from the Hornby on-line shop and the code was emailed to me shortly after.  If that is still the case, I suggest you go down that route, try to input it yourself as RAF96 has described above and if that fails, contact HRMS.

Very interesting Tom, to the best of my recollection you are the first to post such severe problems on a Vista machine, Advent is not one of the brands previously reported either as far as I recall. Given in your previous post you had exactly the same issue on both Win 8 and Vista and that support were looking at your Vista machine, then that infers that your problem may be with the router as that is a common denominator. There is very little in a HH3 for the user to tinker with, so that is very strange.

During the last few days, did you or HRM Support do a full 'factory reset' of your router (this is more than just a router power recycle). Desperation I know, but a reset might have a beneficial effect. If unsure how to do a factory reset on a HH3 see this BT support page, about half way down, no harm in trying.

Also, whilst still in a fault diagnostic mode, I would think it prudent to work with a wired Internet connection if at all possible to eliminate any wireless issues that might muddy the water. After all, you don't need the laptop next to and connected to your eLink to prove a working communications link. The laptop can be physically next to your HH3 for testing purposes. Get that bit working first, then worry about getting it working over Wi-Fi and USB connected to your eLink.

Hi Chris

Tried the factory reset and still no joy also the wired option but still beating my head against a brick wall. Like you say earlier unless support can sort out this issue for me then I'm always going to have to contact them to change computers etc. Cant buy the Pro upgrade online as far as I can see from the website so its wait until tomorrow and hopefully CustomerCare or Support can sort me out. It does sound as if its something to do with the router though but god only knows what. as even the person who got me registered yesterday couldnt see any issues with the computer side of things it seemed that the router would just not let and request through. I'm wondering if its something to do with BT's own anti-virus or firewall as I don't know how to turn this off on the router but I have got it to accept allowing Railmaster through as an exception. Can only wait until the experts get to me at some point.

Hi,

Last year I had similar issue when trying to purchase the licence for the iPad to use as walkabout, no matter how much help was suggested, it would not work on my vista laptop, even adding  Mcafee virus checker to the exceptions or disabling it did not help.

Finally I tried uninstalling Mcafee completely & tried again following a reboot & this time was successfull with the purchase so I now use Avast virus checker with Spybot & Malware free software as suggested on this forum & all works well.

it's worth considering it to see if it sorts the issue out

regards

Tee

Could be worth contacting BT Tom and telling them about the problems the router is giving you and asking if they have another type of router.

I did a similar thing here in Cyprus because I needed WPS and my telecomms people gave me a business router as opposed to a normal home version which didnt have that facility.

I'm wondering if its something to do with BT's own anti-virus or firewall as I don't know how to turn this off on the router

I have a HH5, but I'm sure the router Firewall disable process is similar in a HH3.

Go into 'Advanced Settings' - need to enter Admin PW

Click 'Firewall' tab

Click 'Configuration'

Choose 'Disable' radio button.

Click 'Apply'

In my HH5 the following text (in italics) is presented against the disable option. If your issue is something to do with port forwarding then doing a disable probably won't help.

"Allows all traffic to pass through the Firewall. Note: you’ll still need to use the Port Forwarding feature to make sure that certain applications work properly."

Personally, I wouldn't be happy at leaving router firewall disabled permanently, but if the RM communication then works at least you have proven where the potential issue is and have a short term 'work around' e.g. turn off router FW temporarily just when you need to.

Hi Chris

Ive have actually turned the router firewall off on about 20 occasions now while I try various combinations of ideas but still no joy it could be something to do with port-forwarding and getting the correct settings but it shouldnt be that hard to resolve. I have now had 35 attempts at trying to resolve this what I have noticed that having set permissions on the Railmaster folder when I go back in again it has changed them back to read only. That the folder not the exe. which has still got the read only unchecked thereby allowing programs to read and write to whatever it is that the registering process need to access. Am I right in thinking that the registration process accesses the hard drive to read data to ensure that it is not being registered on another computer without it being disabled on the original. If I'm right then that makes the registration process overwhelmingly complicated as other software needs to ensure that it has not been copied multiple times and must surely go through some type of verification process which does not throw up so many problems or issues.

Tom,

In answer to your specific questions about folder registrations I do not know.

I would have thought that when support logged in they would have checked RM folder and application permissions, but in case it has been overlooked I mention it now. I'm sure you followed the installation instructions, but it's worth asking this question anyway.

Since you purchased RailMaster / eLink then I assume that you installed RM just by slipping the CD in the optical drive, then presumably auto CD detect kicked in and started to run the installer automatically. If this is what happened, did you exit the installer, browse the CD to find the 'setup.exe. file in the CD root directory. Right click the file and choose 'run as administrator', if you did fine, that was what you were supposed to do. If you didn't, then permissions and registrations may well not be 100% correct.

The 'run as administrator' installation is documented on Page 11 of the manual. If you didn't run the setup.exe file as administrator then one would normally compensate for this by right clicking the shortcut you use to start RM and check the 'run as administrator' checkbox in the properties / compatibility tab. It is possible, given your difficulties, that using the shortcut properties / compatibility tab method to set administrator permissions is not enough. This is just a long shot, but might possibly help.

So (only) if you didn't run the CD setup.exe file as administrator. Then maybe a correctly performed re-install of RM would resolve the problem. If you want to try this, then rather than the CD, download the RM setup file from the link on the top of the forum Railmaster page. Save it to your hard drive, right click it and choose 'run as administrator'. Doing this should not lose your hard won activation status. It should also retain any locos and track plans that you have created as it is not a completely clean install that totally wipes the previous installation. I use the word "should" tentatively as this would certainly be the case when RM has been activated via the normal within program process as opposed to manual intervention by RM support.

Hi chris

yes I did all that started the CD then went to the setup exe and run that as administrator. Stopped both Windows Firewall and Windows Defender as I don't have any other anti viirus program. Gave all the permissions as per the security PDF and things received from everyone on the forum. The last time I installed the downloaded file from the site. Shown in the posts in the forum and did it all again and every time gave the program all the needed permissions. Just don't know what else I can try other than leave it to the guys from support who will hopefully sort it out for me on a permanent basis. I have tried all combinations 

I agree Tom, we've all given it our best shot....good luck with HRMS Support.......If they do crack the underlying problem please report back the outcome.

regards

Chris

I wonder if part of Tom's problem could be a dodgy broadband installation.

My son has a BTHomeHub and although he has great bandwind, the connection is often flaky causing dropout when downloading stuff or talking on Skype or Facetime. And this is across a range of devices, pc, tablet, phone, smart box, etc.

He has argued with BT CC on many occasion that there is a fundamental problem with his installation, but can't get seem to anywhere with them or even get to talk to a native English speaker. To add to the problem he is a bit 'mutt and jeff' and has trouble understanding their accents.

All they ever want him to do is go through the same 'switch this off, switch this on, try this, try that' routine every time he makes contact. They even wanted him to take the front off his inlet box as part of the diagnosis whilst on the phone at xx pence/minute. Why don't they send an engineer round.

HI guys

Guess what I have only gone and sorted the problem out myself I hope. I have contacted the Pro Update site through Railmaster and it has acknowledged my request to upgrade to Railmaster Pro and will send me the required Pro code within 48 hours so I'm taking it that it has gone through properly now.

The issue if it is sorted was due to the Universal Plug and Play Security on the Router which having unchecked this appears to have resolved the problem. I hope that this will resolve it totally and let me work with the Railmaster program properly in future.For future reference in ase someone with a BTHomeHub3 Router has similar problems them it may be helpful to ask them to look at this item on their router.

Does anyone know how / who to check with that they have indeed received my Upgrade request through the Railmaster Program as with all the problems Ive had Im not sure that I totally trust it.

Kind regards

Tom

Brilliant news Tom if resolved. Just had a look at my HH5 and in my case UPnP (Universal Plug n Play) is configured 'ON'.

The text description on the router configuration page says:

"Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) enables a wide range of applications, such as games and messaging, and devices to connect to each other and work together."

So switching it off does on the face of it seem to be counter intuitive, but hey if it works it works. At least it seems to prove our diagnostics was sound, I did suggest, based on the logical evidence, that the HH3 might be the culprit.

Just hope switching UPnP off doesn't break a different application of yours somewhere else!

Please come back with a further update if your solution is confirmed. We can then file it away as a suggestion for others.

Testing Communication Link:

One thing you could try to test your link is to send a 'test' support message from within RM. If that is successful, then you get an on screen message that it was successful and an auto acknowledgement message to your specified e-mail account within a few minutes. If neither of the above happens then your communications isn't yet fixed. Be patient though, RM uploads a number of files with your message so there is some delay in the process activity. See page 134 in your RM manual. Obviously just state you are testing the service in the message body text so HRMS know to ignore the message.

Hi everyone

I have my activation code but not had a chance to try it yet so it does seemd to be resolved any problems I will get back and let you know. But many thanks for your help and forebearance with me and the problems.

Kind regards

Tom

...it has acknowledged my request to upgrade to Railmaster Pro and will send me the required Pro code within 48 hours ...

Tom

If it has acknowledged, that is all you need.  My upgrade code arrived in much less than 48 hours.

Hi everyone

now totally sorted out. The Pro code arrived and managed to get it input with no issues so been able to explore the updated program properly and yes it's really good and looking forward to using it as I hoped I would be able too. Just want to thank everyone who has offered help over the past few days. 

Kind regards

Tom

This is just me airing my thoughts in public.

The only thing that niggles me is that I have this faint recollection that the 12029 error has been reported more than once happening over a weekend and that the problem is fixed on a Monday. It makes one think that there may have been a server issue during the weekend that is fixed on a Monday when the working daytime I.T. staff arrive. However, if that was the case, surely HRMS logging in would have been aware of any server problems, who knows might be a different department.

The other thing that niggles me is the BT HH3 is a common router in the UK, why hasn't UPnP been raised before as an issue. UPnP configured 'ON' is the default setting.

I wouldn't want Tom to jeopardise his hard fought working status, but I would be more confident about this HH3 fix being genuine if Tom re-enabled UPnP 'ON' and saw the problem return. Just a thought.

EDIT: A flaw in the theory, just reviewed page 1 of the thread and realised that Tom first reported the issue on a Thursday not the weekend. Decided to leave the above text intact in case it prompts an alternative theory. Of course, if it was a server issue, there is no reason why it could not have gone undetected from Thursday until Monday.

Chrissaf, hi, are you and fishy, long lost cousins, as you are similar, in your approaches. All you need to add, is to sum up, or summarize to date. Personally, i am very happy with this detailed posting, as it explains things to me, that would otherwise remain a mystery. john