1/72 Beagle Basset – Arrived!

david_fleming

Has anyone's purchase of this kit moved from pre-order to delivery or similar?  I had pre ordered months ago but as I have joined the Airfix Club since then, I cancelled my order when the thumbs up from Airfix came in and reordered it with my club discount.  I'm scared I may have missed out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Apologies for the delay but the Beagle Basset page has just been updated.

The kit is expected in mid-May, and both the decal sheet and instructions are listed on the page too. The paint scheme will follow shortly.

So what happend to the 4-6 weeks after target was met. That means we will receive it 12 weeks or more after target was met. Havent we waited long enough and now we got to wait even more. I'm thinking of cancelling my order. Most likely more people will do the same. Not good enough Airfix. 

Dear Airfix,

So what happend to the 4-6 weeks after target was met. That means we will receive it 12 weeks or more after target was met. Havent we waited long enough and now we got to wait even more. I'm thinking of cancelling my order. Most likely more people will do the same. Not good enough Airfix. 

Well, I'm quite excited that this is on the way!  Who cares if it's running late?  How many stashes will the kit sit in anyway for even more months or years!  This is a hobby, guys.  Keep things in perspective!

Well Said Paul,

I think some people are beginning to take things a little too seriously!

Hopefully mine will not be joining my ever expanding stash (just like my waistline!), but I will actually get round to building it.

Well, I'm quite excited that this is on the way!  Who cares if it's running late?  How many stashes will the kit sit in anyway for even more months or years!  This is a hobby, guys.  Keep things in perspective!

Well Said Paul,

I think some people are beginning to take things a little too seriously!

Hopefully mine will not be joining my ever expanding stash (just like my waistline!), but I will actually get round to building it.

Ditto, I think its perhaps unrealistic though to expect a 4-6 week turn around on a tool that doesn't seem to have been run since 1980.... According to ScaleMates that is...  is that right?

seems odd that such a nice looking kit should not have seen the light day for ohh.... 36 years!!! boy I bet theres some Patient modellers been waiting for this!!!....   so I hardly think a few more weeks will make much difference one way or the other at least for them 😉

It's good to see that the instructions are a re-worked version of the originals, with words to explain what the parts are, and what you need to do with them. Strange, though, that the descriptive text hasn't been updated - it still says that "the Bassetts [sic] are operated by . . . RAF Transport Command"!

By the way, does anyone know why some of these old instruction sheets used white to represent silver and grey to represent white?

Strange, though, that the descriptive text hasn't been updated - it still says that "the Bassetts [sic] are operated by . . . RAF Transport Command"!

It's not updated because it's a nostalgia product! Exactly as it was way back when!  😛

It was a great little kit and open to all sorts of interpretations. I built this one as /media/tinymce_upload/b6133987e3479e345d1d66d4299a7e0c.JPGone as a privately owned aircraft but flown by an ex-RAF pilot, hence it has a squadron badge on the fin.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Beagles have landed!, at least according to an email I received this morning (May 11).  It says they are now at their warehouse and will be dispatched shortly.

Same email here arrived this morning in inbox 11/05

All it demonstrates to me is that there is a perfectly good reason why some kits fade away into a dim and distant memory. Not that many people are actually interested in them, or at least not enough to keep them commercially viable.

All it demonstrates to me is that there is a perfectly good reason why some kits fade away into a dim and distant memory. Not that many people are actually interested in them, or at least not enough to keep them commercially viable.

Not exactly I may well have been interested in both the Beaver and Beagle but the postage would have nearly doubled the price for me as I'm sure it would have done for many other non UK residents cheaper to wait untill one turns up on ebay I think...

"Price includes free UK shipping - international orders will be charged at standard delivery rates."

so 27 pounds sterling for me honestly way too much...

if these kits were put on general release would they not sell given the amount of interest shown for both though ? perhaps with additional decals for commercial application .-)

I remain sceptical. Given the time Kitstarter has been running, the number of hits each proposal gets doesn't make me sit up and think 'wow, this was a really good idea'. It seemed like a good idea, but the proof of the pudding etc etc.

if these kits were put on general release would they not sell given the amount of interest shown for both though ? perhaps with additional decals for commercial application .-)

Kitstarter illustrates that this is most unlikely. A normal production run would be many times more than the limited quantity of this run, yet it struggled to meet the minimum order level. The Manufacturers and Retailers want product that will move quickly off the shelves and not sit around for years gathering dust. We all have much sought after kits that we'd love to be reissued, but this project has demonstrated that there is little widespread support. If there had been we'd be seeing more kits offered.

Kitstarter illustrates that this is most unlikely. A normal production run would be many times more than the limited quantity of this run, yet it struggled to meet the minimum order level. The Manufacturers and Retailers want product that will move quickly off the shelves and not sit around for years gathering dust. We all have much sought after kits that we'd love to be reissued, but this project has demonstrated that there is little widespread support. If there had been we'd be seeing more kits offered.

I'm not convinced by your arguments for a number of reasons,  even a kitstarter production run would have to be economic and  make a reasonable return on the investment for Airfix to even consider it,  and I would expect this to be included in Any minimum requirement... that is surely the point of it... no... the main difference here is every kit produced is a garanteed sale as opposed to taking a chance on the market...

when you compare these with other old tools that have been recently released by airfix some of which appear quite poor in comparison with the Beagle and Beaver the question begs why produce those and not these...

I'm sure that there are many considerations and no point in speculation, but my own feeling is as long as there were substantial additional costs for non UK buyers the project was doomed from the start, because it cuts out all but the diehards.. something that may well not have occured had the kits been on general release... just my thoughts not written in stone or anything 😉

Archived