Austin Maxi

Kaysdad

I should not type messages before my first coffee!

- it should of course read 'economical'

- read 'thread' where I wrote 'post'. The post I was referring to is the 10th on the second page of that thread, listing the known lost or unrepairable moulds

• 2 weeks later...

26 years ago I had a 1978 1750 HL. I have fond memories of the Maxi. It drove well, was very comfortable and roomy.

All the seats could be folded down, the rear backrest could be folded down backwards as well, creating a big bed.

This was very convenient to transport long things, with the tailgate closed!

The 5-speed gearbox was located in the engine sump, making it very stubborn when the oil was cold.

It worked good enough when the engine oil had warmed up.

Technically a scaled-up mini, it was very easy to work on the engine and transmission, due to the space available.

I have the Airfix kit in the stash, but would like to have another one t actually build!

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 29/05/2015 at 19:12, Kaysdad said:

I would like to propose the Austin Maxi

I remember getting one for xmas as a boy. I used gloss red paint and got hairs and fluff all over it! My brother had a Bull Nose Morris. I painted his much better.

M304C/03404-7
Austin Maxi
1/32 scale.
Available as M304C from 1971 to 1972.
Type 3D. Airfix logo without stripes with kit name under logo. 1963 to 1972.
Issued as 03404-7 from 1973 to 1974.
Mould believed to be irreparably damaged in France about 1980. 

And the other two mentioned kits:-

03405-0
Morris Marina TC
1/32 scale.
Available as 03405-0 from 1972 to 1974.
Listed in 9th Edition (1972) catalogue as M305C but issued as 03405-0.
Type 4D Box. Dual coloured round logo. 1972 to 1975.

M10C/01410-6/02413-8/A02413V
Bond Bug 700E
1/32 scale.
Tooling cost £9,832.
Available as M10C from 1971 to 1972.
Type 3D. Airfix logo without stripes with kit name under logo. 1963 to 1972.
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/BACAIRFIX/Airfix%201970s/1971CBONDBUGMFS.jpg
Listed as 01410-6 from 1973 to 1974, may not have been sold with this code.
Issued as 02413-8 from 1975 to 1976.
Bond_Bug_32_059.JPG
A new tool for the clear parts was made for the 2023 Vintage Classic re-issue of this kit.
Announced for re-issue in Vintage Classic range as A02413V, availability Summer 2023, RRP £10.99.
Available as A02413V in July 2023, limited run for 2023 only.
Type 17C. Type 14 logo. Vintage Classics Box 2018 -
53059177281_bf7dd7b62f_c.jpg
53151234486_ba28eae069_c.jpg

The fact that many of us who were not even born when the Bond Bug mould was allegedly destroyed for ever yet have now built one/got one in the stash,  should give us all hope that other "long lost" kits will return from the grave to "Thriller" us all.

Edited by Marto

It would appear that in the case of the Bond Bug that only the mould for the transparencies was damaged beyond repair, because it was replaced to enable the Vintage Classic re-issue.

Jeremy Brook may know the condition of the other moulds.

12 hours ago, Ratch said:

It would appear that in the case of the Bond Bug that only the mould for the transparencies was damaged beyond repair, because it was replaced to enable the Vintage Classic re-issue.

Jeremy Brook may know the condition of the other moulds.

I thin you'll find a lot of things made of steel, Aluminium or other metals can be rescued (steel being more durable then most others), and reused if enough time and care is put into rectifying the fault at hand (cracks filled/welded, abrasions removed or as the Bug shows, new subassemblies created).  The only way they would be truly gone is if they had been smashed to pieces or suffered corrosion so bad that there is pitting absolutely everywhere.

Edited by Marto

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrection of an old mould is probably the only way some subjects will see the light of day. There's never been a famous Austin Maxi that I know of, so the market would be limited compared to that for, say, something James Bond once drove. 

I'm surprised at the relative dearth of after market add ons for the 1/32 cars. They may exist, but I can't recall seeing anyone build one of these and jazz it up with p/e or resin. I suppose the challenge is that a correctly scaled aftermarket replacement TR4 interior (for example) would probably not fit inside an Airfix body shell, which is quite likely overscale due to the thickness of the plastic.

35 minutes ago, john redman said:

There's never been a famous Austin Maxi that I know of,

Well, there’s Puff The Magic Wagon.

While I’d like to see the old 1/32nd car moulds revived, I can’t see a major market for them. There’s only us old fogies that remember the cars from the time, perhaps a few younger modellers for the sheer archaeology of the thing, but other than that who’d buy them?

John Redman said ..... There's never been a famous Austin Maxi that I know of,

John, I found this while researching how the Maxi compared to the Austin America found in the mid 60's on this side of the pond.

On 1 July 1969, John Lennon crashed a white Maxi on the single track A838 road near Loch Eriboll in the Highlands of Scotland. ....from Wiky 😃

Tim