HMS Victorious

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice work and great look. New member so not sure of the regs. Did you have problems putting the kit together? I'm having a hell of a time getting a good fit with a warped hull and gaps requiring a lot of filler.

I'm building 2 kits at the moment: 1 as per the instructions and the other as a reimagined circa Falklands with a ski jump and extended  (slightly) superstructure and deck area. Are there any dedicated PE for Victorious. Already have WE parts 1 and  2.. Looking specifically for safety nets. All help appreciated. Thanks.

Also, check out Shapeways for 3D printed aircraft. I'm replacing all supplied aircraft: sea vixen, gannet, buccaneer, phantom and whirlwind for original. Swapping out sea vixen and whirlwind for harrier and wessex and seaking for reimagined.

Nice work and great look. New member so not sure of the regs. Did you have problems putting the kit together? I'm having a hell of a time getting a good fit with a warped hull and gaps requiring a lot of filler.

I'm building 2 kits at the moment: 1 as per the instructions and the other as a reimagined circa Falklands with a ski jump and extended  (slightly) superstructure and deck area. Are there any dedicated PE for Victorious. Already have WE parts 1 and  2.. Looking specifically for safety nets. All help appreciated. Thanks.

Also, check out Shapeways for 3D printed aircraft. I'm replacing all supplied aircraft: sea vixen, gannet, buccaneer, phantom and whirlwind for original. Swapping out sea vixen and whirlwind for harrier and wessex and seaking for reimagined.

ISTR that Ark Royal IV at least had a ski jump designed, which should help with that aspect of a "Victorious 1982 refit".

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick question. In upgrading the Victorious I'm finding 1/600 weapons upgrade problematic. They all appear to be too big,  whereas 1/700 appear to be just right. Is this a scale problem with the older kit, or limitations of the newer 3D printing?

However, the 1/700 weapons do seem a good match.

• 7 months later...

Hi all 

I appreciate that this forum thread is a little bit old. Great build in the pictures it had me thinking as I'm about to start a 1/600 version of HMS Victorious. 

The question is where can i get more aircraft to supplement the airgroup that comes in the kit? I have found WW2 era aircraft for the Fleet Air Arm and ones for the USN but nothing for the era of the 1950s/60s Fleet Air Arm.

Any help would be great to this novice shipbuilder.

• 2 months later...

Atlantic Models now do two 1/600 scale  Photo Etch sets for the Airfix Victorious kit, one is for the ship the other for the air group including new tails for the a/c and flight deck tow trucks.

my personal experience with Atlantic Models PE is extremely positive they make a huge difference to the ships.

• 1 month later...

Very nice looking model.  I bought HMS Hood and Victorious to keep me cheaply busy over the xmas break and the old enthusiasm has returned.  I smashed the Hood model together quickly to give me a quick "fix" but I'll take more time over the carrier.  One thing I've done is looked at the possibility of converting this into the light fleet carrier HMAS Melbourne.

This will take lots of surgery, reducing the length by 40mm and the hull beam by 10mm, but amazingly enough, having made some templates of the hull lines to look at different cut combinations, it looks like a very do-able job.  The centre prop also has to go but that's easy.  So I will probably complete one kit as Victorious, and then get another one for Melbourne.  The depth of the hull is a little too much for Melbourne, but not by much and hoping no one will notice.  Not sure I want to take the extra millimeters off around the entire hull, simply because the fairly complex stern and bow look pretty much re-usable as they are, but I'll have a look at it.  Surprising how close the so-called "light fleet carriers" were in length to the bigger ships, but the beam is definitely well down.

Referring to the "Anatomy of the ship" series for HMS Hood was a great help, I think i probably tripled the amount of deck detail on the model.  Of course that made hand painting the decks a nightmare, but oh well, looks OK for a kitchen table effort.  I use to have the book for Victorious but that went during a recent move which is a pity.  Still, plenty of pictures on the net, how did we ever survive without it?