'Ripper Street' Model Layout

rayarpino

LC&DR, I think you have answered my question.....Thanks! Do you know how the remote switching was actually accomplished? Was it hydraulic? Electric? Seems pretty advanced for the 1870's! You Brits are just so darned smart.....

Nothing so sophisticated I am afraid. The points were operated by long rodding runs from a lever frame in the signalbox. The rods ran through a series of pulleys on the line side to reduce friction  but could be up to 350 feet from the lever. The signals were worked in a similar way from the lever frame but it was wire and not rods that connected them. Signals could be, and occasionally were, a mile or more from the lever. Eventually signals had heavy weights attached to return them to 'Danger' if the wire broke. Interlocking was mechanical with sliding bars with slots cut in them which intersected other bars with corresponding slots. These were attached to the levers under the signal box and you had to get the locks (slots)  lined up in sequence to allow signals or points to move. The work of early signal engineers to design these systems was akin to computer programming, because everything had to work in the correct sequence.

Electric locks were added in the late 19th / early 20th Century worked by 'track circuits' so that a further lock was applied if the line ahead detected a train in the area of conflict ahead. Track circuits worked by the train wheels short circuiting a current  in the rails which held a relay switch open when energised. These could also be worked by the electric telegraph system which was used to offer and accept trains from signal box to signal box.  So the signalman could not clear his signal for a train to go forward until the signalman ahead had electrically unlocked the lever by accepting the train.

Trains between signal boxes were offered and accepted by a complex system of telegraph bell signals, and an electrical indicator operated by the signalman to show if the line between them was clear or occupied.  Only rarely, and in the case of failure of the telegraph were telephones used. Before the coming of the telephone in a failure situation a man was appointed to accompany the trains, or where two or more parellel lines were provided a system of time interval operation was adopted, but this was extremely slow to ensure the chances of collision was reduced.

I am rather glad that in the main I have no idea what was invented when. It means that generally I can sit back and enjoy the porgramme. Apart that is from wobbly scenery, poor acting, weak story line etc. etc. etc. :-) R-

Well we love the series. I don't care what's wrong with it I enjoy it. If we spent our time nitpicking every programme we watched we might as well get rid of the TV. I don't spend my time saying how bad rap music is, I can't stand it so I dont listen to it.  If you don't like it, switch it off. 

I gave up expecting TV and film makers getting detail correct in respect of transport (and in many other fields of science, technology and history) many years ago and the expression "why let the facts get in the way of a good story" seems to be the norm.  Any of us who enjoy science fiction will have suspended credulity from the outset, and who really cares about Einstiens Special and General Theories of Relativity anyway!? Warp factor three, Captain!

.......... If you don't like it, switch it off. 

Well said WTD. We hardly ever switch any of our 4 tvs on these days. If we do it's to watch one of our cupboard full of dvds I've collected over the years. Exceptions being F1 or the odd fotball match. I don't even know what this series is about but just checked the thread out to see what all the fuss was about. I thought this was a forum about model railways?

• 3 weeks later...

Given the increase in bakers, painters, sewers(?) on tv contest programmes, where are the Modellers?  Perhaps they should make a MAster Modeller show with all kinds of kits, dioramas etc could be a winner?????

Oh heck! I can just hear the presentersbeing  highly patronising, with references to train spottesr, and anoraks!

There are one or two celebs with railway modelling credentials, not least Jules Holland, Rod Stewart and Roger Daltry, but most of the media will scoff at it.

Archived