R9684 Murdoch

It's crazy but I can't complan, I bought the entire range, new, years ago for the kids but they never really played so  managed to turn Murdoch into £400 a few years ago, what with 2 Spencer, 2 olivers, Jock... I managed to make probably over a grand on my original investment which has funded other models.

Ironically when Murdoch was made, no one wanted him and shops were selling at heavy discount. If only the other toys I bought them turned out to be such good investments!

• 2 weeks later...

Mudoch was a pretty slow seller in the first few years after his release (I esitmate for about 2 years), but now loads of people want one, since he has been discontinued for at least six years now. I rekcon those two on eBay will sell and the one that Hatton's Model Railways was snapped up very quickly.

@Moomintroll

I am not surprised you got around a £1,000 from sellingt those locomotives.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

• 1 year later...

Apologies for bumping this thread, but I thought the below merited it:

Murdoch on Ebay this week listed as sold for £2,250.

(www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264904270320)

And someone else has clearly seen that as there's now another one up with a target starting bid of £2,250..

(www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174493757421)

And we thought a few hundred pounds was going too far!!  😮 😮

Apologies for bumping this thread, but I thought the below merited it:

Murdoch on Ebay this week listed as sold for £2,250.

(www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264904270320)

And someone else has clearly seen that as there's now another one up with a target starting bid of £2,250..

(www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174493757421)

And we thought a few hundred pounds was going too far!!  😮 😮

It is the same person IMO - I think he had a certain price in mind and reposted

no way is Murdoch that in demand?! 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't agree with it but obviously people see value in them.  DId you not hear about the £250,000 fetched for a bag full of sealed Star Wars toys from the 70s/80s.  This is big business.  People have too much money.  Look at the art world!!

It would be interesting to find out the actual numbers manufactured which would establish which models are genuinely valuable.  I imagine Murdoch must have been the most limited relsease.  Flying Scotsman is also very popular.  Such a shame as  would love to buy them all for my boy, who has a lot of the latest models before discontinuation.  I paid over £40 each to get him Duck, Bill and Ben.

Anyone know manufacture numbers?