Great Customer Service

I sent off my dead Select to Hornby for repairs and a V1.5 upgrade. Got it back in a week which included waiting 3 days to pay for the firmware update (Bank Holiday weekend - the repair was free).

Great service and helpful staff when I enquired about a repair. Many companies would have charged for the repair and through the current difficulties Hornby are dealing with, we should not forget what a great company it is and what great customer service it gives.

Well done James for a positive comment.  It is very easy for people to come on here and complain but there are many many examples of great customer service from Hornby.

In cricket, a proper game, I'd say I'd hit a six right back over the bowlers head.

Good customer service doesn't start when something breaks down. It starts long before that when you make a product that doesn't break down.

As a Chartered Engineer, I know that one failure does not make poor quality, and one item never failing does not make great quality. What I do know is Hornby responded brilliantly to my issue and my e-mail and phone dealings were helpful,courteous and polite.

Many organisations could take a leaf out of Hornby's book and recognise the importance of grat customer service - very impressed looking forward to my first TTS loco. 

Never had a problem with either the red or blue box team. Both have Always return email with in a few days.

Both do fast delivery and well packaged.   The only problem with a loco I've  had was a dreaded metal rot on the class hornby class 31. And I got a gift voucher witch got the Crostie. after working the cost I originally paid for the 31 I saved £30+ on the Crostie.  So chuffed with that.

Even when I've bought a banger of FleBay both companies have helped with unavailable parts. Just this morning  a delivery came from Bachmann,  whitch was Compond tender with bits and still has a chip inside for £25.

So I nothing but praise for both companies for customer service. 

Like most things today I very much doubt Hornby made the Mazak in house. So unless Hornby going to inspect all of its companys doing outreach work. you just have to hope your trust is taken seriously has a company. 

So it's unfair to lay all the blame at Hornbys door. 

Look at the faulty crash bags in news of some cars of late. Yes the car companies are putting things right.  But the bag manufacturer is being dragged though the courts. 

Hornby sold them. They are totally responsible for what they sell.

Good customer service is fixing something that was the customers fault, not fixing a product that was due to a manufacturing fault.

In today's cut throat home entertainment world, products should do exactly what they say on the tin, or people will buy something else.

No. Hornby's 'bit' was to ensure no lead got into the mazac in the first place. The problem with mazac rot is well known. It's not the original alloy that's the problem, it's usually when they reuse what's left over from the sprues afterwards. If any lead at all, from the surrounding area gets in, then mazac rot will result. That's a quality control problem.

No it's not Hornbys job. They don't make it!  Thats the manufacturers problem.  Hornbys paid the customer with a credit note.  Way past any normal grantee ended.  Above and beyond good customer service. Close to if not past ten years of sale of original models in the shop. Wether or not Hornby got a refund form the mazak manufacturer we will probably never now.

Most companys would say buy a new one after ten years.  But Hornby didn't.  And any modeler with one even know will get a credit voucher. 

What more do you want.  They've done everything they could. 

Agree - they could have said your Select is out of guarantee and done nothing or charged me for the repair. Despite the attempts to hijack this thread to bash Hornby, the original point is about the really good customer service I received.

For the record I am really grateful and appreciate this. In a world where many people like to complain, I wanted to complement because they deserve it on this occasion. 

Doesn't matter who you think is responsible fazy. The fact is that Hornby sell them and that makes their responsibilty and theirs alone. 'It was the suppliers fault guv' doesn't wash.

Just take a look at Hornby's sales and share price. That should tell you that Hornby have to do a lot better or people will go out and buy a Playstation or Lego instead.

Yes Hornby. Very well done for selling something that no longer works and has to be fixed by customer service. Top job.

Meanwhile I'll buy DCC controllers from a brand that sells DCC controllers that don't break down.....ever.

Hasn't happened in nine years. I was so impressed I bought their next generation DCC controller to go with it, and I'm saving up for their new system that works on tablets. That's the system where you don't have to pay extra to add extra tablets or smartphones.

Hornby locos and rolling stock, including their international brands, are superb, and their TTS sound decoders seem to be fine. It's only certain areas that need improvement, such as DCC and track. Hornby lag behind in those two areas.

Archived