Survey - Hornby please provide TTS Kits

choralc

It's been two months since the last summary and only a few additions which I will post shortly.

Since then I have come across a fella in Australia who bought a number of R1184s from Hattons and has pulled out the TTS modules and installed them into "...several Hall class Hornby locomotives, plus a Castle and several 2800 class locomotives. Most share the same tender body which does entail a little cramming to get everything inside without altering the bunker. A worthwhile conversion which apart from modifying the stock tender weight to sit better over the speaker, does give a pleasing result. Particularly enhances the 28XX class locomotives as the small drive wheels and low gearing suit the chuff rate at typical low goods loco speeds. The 2800 class enables a reliable 4 beats per revolution at low speeds...."

I have bought one more R1184 from Hattons which arrived today and intend to place the module into R3105 Castle 'Wellington 5075'.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

List one. These are often but not alway RailRoad range models that have had TTS equipped models or announced but withdrawn:

BR Class 7 (0) e.g. R3387TTS - x

BR Class 8 (0) e.g. R3244TTS - x

BR Class 9F (Crosti) (0) e.g. R3396TTS - x

A1 (2) e.g. R3284TTS - choralc and dynax

Fowler 2P (1) e.g. R3459 - choralc

Fowler 4F (1) e.g. R3460 - choralc

Hall (4) e.g. R1184 ex-set - choralc -1, and WilliamDavid - 3

King (2) e.g. R3370TTS - choralc & WilliamDavid

Merchant Navy (4) e.g. R3382TTS - poppasmurf - 4 (his request was Bullied Pacifics and I have no idea if they would all sound the same as a Merchant Navy or that he would be happy to buy a total of four to retrofit others in the 4-6-2 type)

P2 (0) e.g. R3246TTS - x

Schools Class (1) e.g. R3386TTS - choralc

Class 20 (1) e.g. R3394 - RDS

Class 37 (2) e.g. R3289TTS - james_nelmes & RDS

Class 40 (1) e.g. R3286TTS - james_nelmes

Class 43 (6) e.g. - R3390 - dynax

Class 47 (3) e.g. R3393TTS - james_nelmes, RDS & WilliamDavid

Class 67 (1) e.g. R3388TTS - JermiahBunyan

List 2. These are models with TTS that have been released, announced or withdrawn that have also had XS models.

A4 (3) e.g. R3395TTS or R2805XS - choralc -2 & dynax

Black 5 (2) e.g. R3385TTS or R2804XS - choralc

Castle (3) e.g. R3383TTS or R2994XS - choralc -2 & WilliamDavid

Class 31 (0) e.g. R3391TTS or R2803XS - x

Class 60 (1) e.g. R3389TTS or R2899XS - JermiahBunyan

The wish list. As far as I know Hornby hasn't made a sound version of any of the following requested as 'TTS kits'.

0-4-0 generic (3) - JermiahBunyan

A3 (5) - WilliamDavid - 4 & dynax

B1 (2) - dynax

B17 (1) - WilliamDavid

K1 (1) - WilliamDavid

N15 (2) - choralc & poppasmurf

Q1 (1) - poppasmurf

Royal Scot (2) - choralc & RDS

S15 (1) - poppasmurf

Std 4 Tank (1) - poppasmurf

T9 (2) - poppasmurf

Class 25 (4) - dynax - 2, james_nelmes & WilliamDavid

Class 26 (1) - dynax

Class 42 (1) - dynax

Class 50 (1) - dynax

Class 52 (1) - dynax

Class 55 (1) - dynax

Class 66 (2) - RDS & WilliamDavid

Class 70 (1) - RDS

Class 71 (1) - JermiahBunyan

Class 86 (1) - JermiahBunyan

Class 90 (2) - JermiahBunyan

Class 92 (1) - JermiahBunyan

Class 110 (1) - dynax

For those TTS only models that have been released, announced or withdrawn - 29 (+1)

For models released with XS but also released, announced or withdrawn - 9 (+1)

For models previously released with XS but no TTS to date - 3 (+1)

Wish List - 37 over 23+ different models.

If any of these have in fact have had an XS or TTS model and not placed in the appropriate list please let me know.

I will continue to summarise every so often while requests come in until I drop dead or give up waiting.

The TTS kits I would like to see being made available, together with the quantities I would need, are as follows:

HST - 6

Class 08 - 1

Class 37 - 2

Class 47 - 1 (+ 3 to be acquired - 1 TTS example already bought)

Class 58 - 1

Class 56 - 1

Class 31 - 9

Hopefully, somebody at Hornby is 'listening'!

Stephen

I don't think it reasonable to expect that Hornby are monitoring this thread for content, only for conformance with forum rules.  I suspect they don't monitor Wishlists either, but Adam may have some advice.

There used to be a form for this on the website, can't now see it though.

I don't think it reasonable to expect that Hornby are monitoring this thread for content, only for conformance with forum rules.  I suspect they don't monitor Wishlists either, but Adam may have some advice.

There used to be a form for this on the website, can't now see it though.

If you want to suggest products go to Contact Us at the bottom of the page then select Product Suggestion add your details and suggestion. I'm pretty sure that any suggestions are ignored unless you use this form or the Wishlist section. People put suggestions in all sections of this forum, Thomas, Railmaster, General etc. and it would be unfair to expect Hornby to have to read all of them just to find one, especially as this is supposed to be for us not for them. Just my view.  Good luck any way  😆

Agreed WTD, along with a great many other things I used to be able to trip over on this site like the track geometry diagram (still there but hiding in Support), the full list of CV definitions (gone) and some other stuff I can't remember as its so long since I saw it.

Back to the OP and recent discussion - having got this list of desirable TTS retro kits - the 64 thousand dollar question is - How much would you pay for the decoder, speaker and enclosure, in a bubble pack (or similar) with some instructions bespoke to each and every loco on the TTS catalogue list.

I'm not talking generic steamdiesel TTS decoder kits here, just straight forward after market replacements for specific TTS locos already on sale.

My advice is be very careful how you answer this as Mr Hornby's Marketing Bean Counter may well be watching this thread and if you show willing to pay over the odds for them, I am sure he will sell them to you at that inflated price, so pitch your estimated price as realistic as you see it.

My guess is 30GBP for a part numbered replacement for TTS installation as listed on any current TTS loco service sheet.  

Now if you were addressing me RAF, my answer would be that I wouldn't give a penny for an OO sound loco of any type. I really do think they sound aweful and are just a gimmick. However O gauge, particularly diesel, would be different. I wouldn't buy one but would certainly accept one as a gift. I do have an HO USA steam loco with sound but don't run it because I can't turn it off. The whistle is the only sound that is very good. 

I have to admit being very impressed by my TTS Hall but the price is such that I doubt if I would retro fit many of my locos However, if I were I'd go for

One or two Halls

two stars (though I'd probably have to make do with a Castle sound)

A GWR 0-6-0 of msome kind possibly intended for a pannier, howeverI'd probably stick it in my Bachmann 2251 with ROD tender.

2 kings if they could be fitted in the older loco drive type

one for each of GWR 2-8-0s

• 2 months later...

From Hornby email released 12 hours ago:

Sounds fantastic - TTS Sound Decoders

In response to your requests, we're pleased to announce that we will be releasing stand-alone TTS sound decoders from summer 2017. Retailing at £39.99, the decoders will be available for ten different locomotives: - steam A3, A4, Tornado, King Class, Castle Class - diesel Class 31, 37, 47, 60 and 67. Look out for further detail in a future edition of The Engine Shed.  

tts

My wife says that I am allowed to say to all the naysayers: "Nah-nah-na-nah-nah!"

Okay apologies for my immaturity to anyone offended.

I am so pleased at this announcement from Hornby. Am looking forward to fitting my three Castles with sound.

From a Hornby email 12 hours ago part of duplicate posting held for moderation as it contains the pic from the email:

Sounds fantastic - TTS Sound Decoders

In response to your requests, we're pleased to announce that we will be releasing stand-alone TTS sound decoders from summer 2017. Retailing at £39.99, the decoders will be available for ten different locomotives: - steam A3, A4, Tornado, King Class, Castle Class - diesel Class 31, 37, 47, 60 and 67. Look out for further detail in a future edition of The Engine Shed. 

Well Done choralc for pursuing this and for the comprehensive lists you have compiled.  

It is not easy as I know well from my own experiences of compling a list of 'Dates' for the LD sweep or a list of 'Desirable Features'.